AI should liberate/colonize more

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tofofnts
Captain
Human: Yes

AI should liberate/colonize more

Post by tofofnts »

During WWII, most countries were liberated/colonized, so this would be more realistic
Instead of scripted colonization/liberation, you should have a set of factors which determine what a country will do after it takes over a nation. Factors could include government type (dictatorships would be more likely to annex, monarchies would be more likely to colonize and democracies would be more likely to liberate), location (countries that don't border the invader by land should be much more likely to be colonized or liberated, if not almost guaranteed) and resources (obviously you'd be less keen on liberating an incredibly oil rich country)
"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: AI should liberate/colonize more

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

tofofnts wrote:During WWII, most countries were liberated/colonized, so this would be more realistic
Instead of scripted colonization/liberation, you should have a set of factors which determine what a country will do after it takes over a nation. Factors could include government type (dictatorships would be more likely to annex, monarchies would be more likely to colonize and democracies would be more likely to liberate), location (countries that don't border the invader by land should be much more likely to be colonized or liberated, if not almost guaranteed) and resources (obviously you'd be less keen on liberating an incredibly oil rich country)
Let me pose a question: how would you treat the Japanese taking of Malaya? Singapore? Dutch East Indies (DEI/NEI)? Burma? ...just a as examples.

How would you treat the British / Dutch to DEI/NEI in 1945? And, the French to Indo-China in 1945? - Colonies? (again...)....neither government
was of the same type.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Tofofnts probably wants to see more variety in sandbox mode or after WW2. And I agree that after '45 AI should be less prone to annex... there are only few examples of annexations after WW2. And in SR... well, i did not ever seen AI to liberate or colonize (unless scripted).
And AI should be able to decolonize too (when colony becomes burden).
Please teach AI everything!
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
tofofnts wrote:During WWII, most countries were liberated/colonized, so this would be more realistic
Let me pose a question: how would you treat the Japanese taking of Malaya? Singapore? Dutch East Indies (DEI/NEI)? Burma? ...just a as examples.

How would you treat the British / Dutch to DEI/NEI in 1945? And, the French to Indo-China in 1945? - Colonies? (again...)....neither government
was of the same type.
All of the examples you gave are, in my opinion, colonies.
The Second Philippine Republic was very much a puppet state of the Japanese empire, with a similar status to all those Eastern European countries that are colonies of the USSR in SRCW (in fact the Philippines were more autonomous than Kaliningrad, which I believe was a colony in SRCW)
That's the only one I looked into but I'll assume the other examples are are congruent unless you claim otherwise.
"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I think that maybe we're taking "annex" too seriously in SR. My first reaction was that it was like the USA in the 19th century, annexing parts of central North America to itself as it spread out, or Russia during the same period.

I've sort of started thinking it is a lot more like a total political/economic domination of an area (e.g., the Home Country basically makes all the laws, runs everything), more like British India in the same period, or the post-WWI mandates in the Middle East and Pacific.
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

Aragos wrote:more like British India in the same period, or the post-WWI mandates in the Middle East and Pacific.
Which are all colonies in supreme ruler
I'd be open to what you're suggesting if Battlegoat was more consistent about it.
-Oscar Wilde

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”