Korea and Taiwan

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cdiplayer
Colonel
Human: Yes

Korea and Taiwan

Post by Cdiplayer »

They should be annexed to Japan rather than being Japanese colonies. At the time they were Prefectures within Japan and did not have the same status as areas like Manchukuo.
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Korea and Taiwan

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Cdiplayer wrote:They should be annexed to Japan rather than being Japanese colonies. At the time they were Prefectures within Japan and did not have the same status as areas like Manchukuo.
Technically true, but I think in the context of Supreme Ruler game series, where they can attain "independence" or be reallocated to China,
it needs to remain in the status of colonies. Supposed in a game in a war between China and Japan, Japan sues for peace.....Japan could offer either as part of a diplomatic offer to reach a peace agreement....

that could not happen if they were Japanese prefectures (one cannot divide/split-off a Region's provinces, states, prefectures, etc.).
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
Cdiplayer wrote:They should be annexed to Japan rather than being Japanese colonies. At the time they were Prefectures within Japan and did not have the same status as areas like Manchukuo.
Technically true, but I think in the context of Supreme Ruler game series, where they can attain "independence" or be reallocated to China,
it needs to remain in the status of colonies. Supposed in a game in a war between China and Japan, Japan sues for peace.....Japan could offer either as part of a diplomatic offer to reach a peace agreement....

that could not happen if they were Japanese prefectures (one cannot divide/split-off a Region's provinces, states, prefectures, etc.).
I was not aware that colonies could be offered to other countries in exchange for peace HUH have I missed something?
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

And because of that, Japan is just to weak and unable to make any gains in China.
i do not see how Korea could not gain independance. If it is being annexed, than if third party "liberated" Seoul, it can be ressurected (coloniza, liberate) as independant state. And also, guerilla units can now resurrect occupied/dead regions.
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Cdiplayer wrote:
geminif4ucorsair wrote:

I was not aware that colonies could be offered to other countries in exchange for peace HUH have I missed something?
No, territory cannot be traded by players. Events can be used to move territory around as per a scenario design but that has no baring on if we model it as annexed or colonized. I'll ask other team members to review our notes on why we chose a colony system instead of annexation.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Cdiplayer wrote:
geminif4ucorsair wrote:
Cdiplayer wrote: I was not aware that colonies could be offered to other countries in exchange for peace HUH have I missed something?
Did not mean one could as yet trade-off regions for peace...it was intended more as a discussion of why such flexibility should be possible and a reason BG was designing it in the manner of Colonial creation....apologies if I sent anyone off-the-tracks on this! I was not advocating that a province/state etc of a region can be traded at will (such as the US offering Texas to gain peace with another region)....but its not unheard of.

The peace btw the Allied powers and Japan did change the territorial landscape, in that Northern and Southern regions of the Korean peninsula (like Austria and Germany) became separate zones-of-occupation, with "intent" of unification post-war, and Taiwan was "returned" to China - after a peace treaty had separated it to Japan.

Then, of course there is Strasberg or Strasbourg.....subject of a peace treaty transfer of ownership since the Franco-Prussian War...so, it has been done in the recent history.

Mia Culpa, however.
mfisher12
Lt. Colonel

Post by mfisher12 »

The current mechanics of the game force me (as the US) to declare war on Formosa without casus belli, lowering my international standing even though it was Japan who arbitrarily declared war on me first.

Without declaring war on Formosa, the problems of attacking/invading Japan are increased exponentially. Japanese units stationed in Formosa could hit my flank if I went straight from Phillipines to Kyushu.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

mfisher12 wrote:The current mechanics of the game force me (as the US) to declare war on Formosa without casus belli, lowering my international standing even though it was Japan who arbitrarily declared war on me first.

Without declaring war on Formosa, the problems of attacking/invading Japan are increased exponentially. Japanese units stationed in Formosa could hit my flank if I went straight from Phillipines to Kyushu.
^this, annoyed me lots, had to do the same when playing as Japan.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

SGTscuba wrote:
mfisher12 wrote:The current mechanics of the game force me (as the US) to declare war on Formosa without casus belli, lowering my international standing even though it was Japan who arbitrarily declared war on me first.

Ditto. I know this has been brought to the Goats attention more than once. Colonies should DoW when the Home Country does. Sort of goes with being a "colony."
mfisher12
Lt. Colonel

Post by mfisher12 »

Aragos wrote:
SGTscuba wrote:

Ditto. I know this has been brought to the Goats attention more than once. Colonies should DoW when the Home Country does. Sort of goes with being a "colony."
I'm only guessing here, but the whole parent/colony dynamic may be a leftover from SRCW. In CW, colonies are treated as autonomous countries, allied with their parent. But DOWing the parent does not automatically invoke a DOW from the colonies.

It needs to be changed. When Japan declares war, there should be an automatic state of war with her colonies as well.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

mfisher12 wrote:...I'm only guessing here, but the whole parent/colony dynamic may be a leftover from SRCW. In CW, colonies are treated as autonomous countries, allied with their parent. But DOWing the parent does not automatically invoke a DOW from the colonies.

It needs to be changed. When Japan declares war, there should be an automatic state of war with her colonies as well.
There have already been some changes to the system, more are planned.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Balthagor wrote:
mfisher12 wrote:...I'm only guessing here, but the whole parent/colony dynamic may be a leftover from SRCW. In CW, colonies are treated as autonomous countries, allied with their parent. But DOWing the parent does not automatically invoke a DOW from the colonies.

There have already been some changes to the system, more are planned.
Nice!
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Post by Cdiplayer »

Also, if Taiwan and Korea are going to be colonies then I think Greenland should certainly be a colony of Denmark instead of part of Denmark. Greenland had more autonomy than Taiwan and Korea did at the time.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

+1. As it currently is, there is no way for the US to occupy Greenland like it did during the war, short of DoW'ing Denmark.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

After reading more than I really wanted to about this :wink: I've made the following call:
1) Formosa should remain a colony. For support I'll reference this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of ... anese_rule

2) Korea should be annexed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_under_Japanese_rule)
- David

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”