REQ: New unit trading system (Holy crusade #2)

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

REQ: New unit trading system (Holy crusade #2)

Post by Zuikaku »

This is the latest attempt to try to make BGs reconsider improving fatally flawed unit trade system from all previous SR titles.
I really think that global political and geostrategic simulator is unimaginable without good unit trading system. So, I am reposting my previous suggestiond in hopes that miracles can happen :-)

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 6&start=15

1. In diplomacy screen there are "buy units" and "order units" buttons

2. "Buy units" button functions is a bit player-centric, but there is a way not to hurt AI players:
a) AI does not scrap excess or obsolete units. -if unit is technologicaly obsolete, replaced or being replaced by newer design or AI just considers it as surplus, it is placed in "trade" pool (thus avoiding reserve drain exploit).
b) To avoid AI players from draining "trade pool" before human player(s) can react, AI players are allowed to access the "trade pool" only every 6 months (e.g. December and July).
c) Only allied, same sphere friendly and neutral friendly countries can be offered access to the "trade pool".
d) AI country that has "trade pool" is the one who approaches other AI countries and offers them weapons
e) the selection of the AI countries which will be approached is done in following order:
same sphere allied country at war
same sphere allied country
neutral sphere allied country at war
same sphere friendly country at war
neutral sphere friendly country at war
same sphere friendly country
neutral sphere friendly country

f) when AI country is approached it is checked for what it needs. Check is done in manner to se what that AI country plans to build at the moment. If it plans to build air defense but has none researched, then requested number of higher tech level AD systems from "trade pool" is sold to the country. If country has plans to build something and have researched design, then tech levels are checked. If tech level of "trade pool" equipment is higher than tech level of design buying country can build, then requested number of higher quality "trade pool" equipment is sold.

That way, Allied countries will get higher quality equipment and friendly countries will get lower quality equipment. AI players will have a chance to rearm themselves with newer systems over the time and with system they can not produce or research BUT HAVE NEED FOR THEM (e.g. interceptors, bombers, helicopters, AD, subs).
Human player also won't be hurt by one day "trade pool" depletion caused by AI frenzy shopping.

3. "Order units" button is player 'o centric button. It helps players playing minor countries to easily obtain wanted equipment from friendly and allied countries.
a) "order units" button is only accessible when interacting with same or neutral sphere friendly and allied countries
b) obsolete units can be requested from all neutral sphere friendly and allied countries
c) most modern designs can be requested only from allied same or neutral sphere countries
d) when unit(s) are ordered price is higher if producing country is not allied or same sphere
e) when number and type of units to be build are selected, estimated delivery time is shown
f) delivery time is calculated by current production queue of producing country and production capacity available for foreign orders. Delivery time is only informative, but player can cancel the deal if orders are not delivered 2X calculated delivery time.
g) if the deal is cancelled, player gets his money refunded and can keep units that are delivered so far.
h) foreign orders are low priority, meaning that producing country needs are to be produced first. So , no exploits are possible.

Please, give us selective unit trading system, we have been waiting for far too long!! :D
Last edited by Zuikaku on May 03 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Please teach AI everything!
SGTscuba
General

Re: REQ: New unit trading system (Holy crusade #2)

Post by SGTscuba »

+ 1 to this, would love to be able to order units.

BUT

with the caveat that a nation should not devote any more than 10% during wartime and 40-50% during peacetime to producing ordered units. However, I would like to see it so you can keep ordering them, but when you hit the above preset limits, then it will just get put into the queue and have to wait for a free slot.

Also teach the AI how to use the ordering system.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

SGTscuba wrote:+ 1 to this, would love to be able to order units.

BUT

with the caveat that a nation should not devote any more than 10% during wartime and 40-50% during peacetime to producing ordered units. However, I would like to see it so you can keep ordering them, but when you hit the above preset limits, then it will just get put into the queue and have to wait for a free slot.

Also teach the AI how to use the ordering system.
I agree on all of this :-)
number47
General

Post by number47 »

+1 :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

+2 :-)
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

+1 to ordering units. That is more historically accurate than buying Tiger II's on the world market!
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I do not intend to give up on this one :D
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Zuikaku wrote:I do not intend to give up on this one :D
and I still think this is a good idea
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Nic5071
Warrant Officer

Post by Nic5071 »

Personally i would like the devs to implement a "select all units" in the buying/selling units tap. The reason behind this is i'm very tried of trying to send units to a different country, lets say a 1000 units, spending 10 mins or so selecting all of those units and then sometimes its being rejected because either one of the units redeploys or they decide the price i want for the units is too high after i sent the trade |O . It's very annoying and i'm sure i'm not the only one that thinks this :wink:.
"you don't have to outfight your enemy you just have to outlast him" -George Washington
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

So, BGs, as an act of goodwill can you at least share with us what do you intend to do with unit trading system :D Will we be able to negotiate (successfully or not) about buying what we want/like/need?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Oh yeah... 8)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
MertcanKs
Lt. Colonel

Post by MertcanKs »

+1923
mikeownage
Colonel

Post by mikeownage »

Yeah, it would be nice to be able to purchase units from allied or neutral countries and even be able to order the ones you want.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

The more I think about this, the more I think we really have a couple of issues/options here.

We have two different things: 1) trading/buying existing units and 2)trading/buying designs (e.g., "site licences" for production)

1) Trading/buying: Countries should only sell/trade tech current units to allies, and only then if they a high enough level of relations. The US didn't like selling/giving Sherman tanks to the UK in 1942; the Germans didn't usually give top-of-the-line aircraft to their allies, etc. Units that are obsolete or obsolecent (e.g, the Panzer I in 1944, or a Spitfire I in 1945) should be traded to allies or friendly (neutral but friendly) countries freely.

2) Designs: Can be sold to both allies and neutrals, but neutrals should be very, very expensive--examples would be the DC-3 copies built by Japan, etc.

If not, we will probably end up in a weird WWII with AI countries fighting with each other's equipment, etc. What worked for SR2020 and even SRCW, may not work for a WWII game.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

OK, let's try with this one:

BUMP, BUMP, BUMP!! :D

Any info on this issue, please?! :-)

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”