Weather / Day & Night

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

Weather / Day & Night

Post by Draken »

Battle your enemy and Mother Nature, as a fully integrated weather model influences the outcomes of the battlefield.
Can you expand a little on this? Will the units have a modifier attribute based on weather?

Will there be a practical differentiation between day and night regarding combat? (I'm thinking night fighters here!)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
number47
General

Re: Weather / Day & Night

Post by number47 »

Probably planes will not fly in bad weather.. :lol: ...until you develop all-weather airplanes :D

I'm also curious about day/night implementation as they didn't mention it anywhere...probably not gonna happen :-(
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

number47 wrote:Probably planes will not fly in bad weather.. :lol: ...until you develop all-weather airplanes :D
I'm also curious about day/night implementation as they didn't mention it anywhere...probably not gonna happen :-(
Well, history says Night Fighters did fly in bad weather.....including WW 2 types such as Heinkel Uhl (Owl), P-61 Black Widow,
and even the early jets - which were in some cases denoted as All-Weather Fighters, though their primary role in the '50s was
as night fighters (F-89B/C/D Scorpion, etc.).

Some, what is needed, and this applies to the naval and land environment just as much, is the need to program for Day and Night operations. Modifying it for night land combat can simply be programmed as a Percentage (%) reduction in effectiveness, Speed of movement, visual observation (SPOT 1), etc.

Once radar (Tech #1184) is added, the modifier is automatically lowered.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:
Well, history says Night Fighters did fly in bad weather.....including WW 2 types such as Heinkel Uhl (Owl), P-61 Black Widow,
and even the early jets - which were in some cases denoted as All-Weather Fighters, though their primary role in the '50s was

Some, what is needed, and this applies to the naval and land environment just as much, is the need to program for Day and Night operations. Modifying it for night land combat can simply be programmed as a Percentage (%) reduction in effectiveness, Speed of movement, visual observation (SPOT 1), etc.

Once radar (Tech #1184) is added, the modifier is automatically lowered.
That's is what I have in mind.... But let not forget of land-based navigational/bombing/interception systems (like OBOE, GEE, etc) and all the electronic warfare happening around them....
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
number47
General

Post by number47 »

geminif4ucorsair wrote:Well, history says Night Fighters did fly in bad weather.....including WW 2 types such as Heinkel Uhl (Owl), P-61 Black Widow,
I was referring to the same thing just clumsily used "all-weather" term instead the "night fighters"... :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

I think that weather should be implemented, the Battle of the Bulge, D-Day, the Winter War and the Russian Front just to name a few depended on the weather.
mrgenie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by mrgenie »

Weather was THE enemy on many important battlefields.
But to simulate the weather properly without taking too much CPU power needs a very good programmer to do this!
Simulating the weather for a map the size of Supreme Ruler, we're talking about super computers here, not standard
12 core hyper-threading CPU's with 128Gigs of RAM..
Although important, I think BG better leave this option out, and fix every path error still existing in the code..
Might be nice for future development when current desktop CPU's get factor 100 times faster then we're currently
have on the market.. until then, they'd have to make the weather engine so rudimentary and cut off so many realism,
it might be better to leave it out completely and simply fix/enhance/improve current engine for a new scenario..

One might expect too much of SR1936, new features, etc.. weather modelling.. but be realistic, the current
features aren't 100% and flaws still exist.. many people won't want to upgrade to 8 or 12 core desktop computers..

If you ask me, better focus on getting the current engine perfect..
getting the new scenario perfect..

airborne invasions.. for example, in a game of mine the mighty soviet union conquered western Europe for 99,999%
the last 0,001%? 1 single plot, an island, for Normandy.. the mighty soviet Union with millions of troops couldn't conquer this
little place since it couldn't launch an airborne invasion..
instead, thousands of tanks, infantry, artillery was queuing up at the shores of Normandy.. slowing down the game
like crazy..
I then had to help Soviet Union, with 3!!! special forces I did an airborne assault using parachutes.. and destroyed the french..
What 4 Million Soviet and eastern European troops couldn't do, I did with 3 special forces units and 1 transport plane..
That's a major issue I'd see to be resolved prior to adding new features..
[UI-MOD] All-In-One viewtopic.php?f=91&t=31906

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”