Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:Is it considered for update4 ?
There were some design decisions during the development of SRCW that would make renaming individual units quite challenging to bring back. We will still consider these aspects.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
There were some design decisions during the development of SRCW that would make renaming individual units quite challenging to bring back. We will still consider these aspects.
OK, thanks a lot, Balth! It is really not a game breaker ort important issue but possibility to rename units would be a nice touch...
Please teach AI everything!
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Yea, it was someting I always liked, but is not important.
drsidious
Warrant Officer

Post by drsidious »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Renaming battlegroups like in SR2020 would be fun to have back, the naming aspect of the battlegroups was the fun part of of using battlegroups while battlegroups them self was/is useful. Something that might be more far fetched and more impossible to develop would be during MP games, if unit names and bg names could be transferred over the internet so that other players can se as well. Like a war between a Israeli player and say Syrian player, and "84th Givati Brigade" battling an "Republican Guard" divison etc.
I agree, from SR 2020 I miss the most battlegroup list and battlegroup renaming! :-(
I hope this will be addressed in future updates.
deadmeat1471
Warrant Officer

Post by deadmeat1471 »

Draken wrote:yup... chiming in ....

Renaming units in SR2010 was fairly easy... You could rename them from almost everywhere in the game...

Then SR2020 came along and although renaming units was possible, it was not as easy and flexible as before... But we were able to group then in battle groups, which were easy to rename....

And then, SRCW was released and .... well, you know what happened....

Goats, in lieu of a practical hierarchy system (to which we agree will be difficult to implement) please bring back a flexible and easy way of renaming units and battle groups. Also an easier way to select the later is needed...

And since we are bringing back lost features, don't forget about unit tranning [_]O [_]OT
On a completely unrelated note, when I read your signature it reminded me of Foundation, so I'm now re reading the books :lol:
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

You're welcome! I've read the whole series several times ;)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:Renaming battlegroups like in SR2020 would be fun to have back, the naming aspect of the battlegroups was the fun part of of using battlegroups while battlegroups them self was/is useful. Something that might be more far fetched and more impossible to develop would be during MP games, if unit names and bg names could be transferred over the internet so that other players can se as well. Like a war between a Israeli player and say Syrian player, and "84th Givati Brigade" battling an "Republican Guard" divison etc.
Fully agree! :D

To the last line, there have been Units names after everything from honorific battles and/or their leaders, "days" that were historically important to countries, etc. - the Soviet and Communist Chinese carried this to extremes - even naming ships
along these lines (particularly in China).

As for the Training feature returns...I too have lobbied far-and-wide for this again... |O

Sometimes, programmers just win out don't them..... |O
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balth, SR1936?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

moved, but still sits as a low priority.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

I want to have the Royal Canadians, the Grenadier Guards, the Winnepeg Rifles, the Austrailian Light Horse, et al.
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

Balthagor wrote:
OH FFS! I just discovered this, especially since I was poking through the USA orbat and saw someone went to the trouble to rename all the ships (which is something I do myself) and then I saw that not only does it not work, but the feature is gone. I use this A LOT. Besides making the ships feel more personal, it also helps me keep some semblance of sanity for the role I intend a lot of my units to fill since there aren't enough battlegroups and that is the only hierarchy we have.

Please consider bringing it back for 1936 at least. GUI changes are a very poor excuse for dropping features. It isn't that hard to move buttons around, especially when the compiler all but writes the code for you these days. If that is the real reason then you're doing it wrong.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thought I had mentioned this somewhere already?

Unit Rename is back and is working. Nearly all navies have the proper names for units in inventory. New ships don't attempt to acquire historical names though.

Renaming buildings is still a very low priority item.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:Thought I had mentioned this somewhere already?
No you haven't! :P
Balthagor wrote:Unit Rename is back and is working. Nearly all navies have the proper names for units in inventory. New ships don't attempt to acquire historical names though.
Yay!!! 8O
Balthagor wrote:Renaming buildings is still a very low priority item.
Boooo!!! :evil:

And we want ability to rename hexes not buildings! :P
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Yeah, renaming the Center of the new Finnish Empire after we win the winter war to say Hulluburg or New Moscow :P that way we can leave a legacy, especially if this is a MP game. If anyone knows the game Sins of an Solar Empire, there you can rename Ships and Planets, noting is more horrible when Hullu Hevonen blows to 1000 pieces or you invade your friends planet called Screw Hullu :lol:

EDIT: In otherwords it adds personality to the game and thus makes the experience more personal
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

renaming hexes remains low on the priority list. :P
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”