My Hack for Unit Heirachy (i.e. Divisions)

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

pitchblack
Lieutenant

My Hack for Unit Heirachy (i.e. Divisions)

Post by pitchblack »

First, just wanted to say thanks again for an amazing game!
I bought 2 x copies of SR2010 and will buy at least 2 x SR2020.

Now don't laugh, but here is my hack for unit heirachy (Divisions)

My premise is to use a transport unit (I choose a supply truck) and vastly increase the cargo capacity and then use it as a division marker to move my units around in. Once I get to the fight I unload everyone and have a battle. After the battle is over I load everyone back up and it's off to the next site.

I modified the DEFAULT.UNIT file and took the basic supply truck and copied it to a new line, renaming it as "Division". I then increased the number of unit to 99 and vastly increased the cargo capacity to 500.
I also increased full burn and supply consumption for the unit to repsent the increased logistics.

Now, when I get several combat units together, I can load them up into the Division unit (and rename it (i.e. 1st Inf Div). Now I can keep multiple units together just by moving the Division unit.

Where this breaks down is that I cannot fight with the units loaded of course (game engine treats all combat units as cargo).

Now if the goats could modify the game to offically allow for a Division Container that would consume logitiscs, but fight with the capability of the units embarked, that would give us a workaround until a better solution is found. It's a hack, but at least it helps me keep my 2000+ units better managed.

thoughts?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

That pretty creative and sharp thinking.It meets alot of the "box" idea.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
pitchblack
Lieutenant

Post by pitchblack »

thanks for the feedback.

It does break down in the actual combat and you have to fudge it a bit to keep the logistics side intact, but to me it is much better to select 1 unit "3rd Mech Inf" which has 4 x M2 Bradley, 2 x M1 Abrams and 1 M x109 inside it to keep track of moving it around.

I think it's useful as it works with the existing U.I. To make a real fix you would not have to change the G.U.I. but make changes to the game engine to allow combat while "embarkked" and consume logistics.

It also works for Aircraft "Group into Wings" and Ships "Task Forces".

Just an idea for an already great game.
StoweMobile
Major

Post by StoweMobile »

can you do that with naval units? I would much love to load all my land units into a carrier instead of multiple weakling transport that can only carry like...1 unit.
high empty
Captain

Post by high empty »

WEll there is a Plane that you can load them all into

IT"S HUGE! 50,000 tons!

It's a C-4 you need tech 120 or so.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Any way to mod a facility instead of a truck ?Make the facility move ?
Units would fight from inside it and consume supplies normally.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
pitchblack
Lieutenant

Post by pitchblack »

Ships work the same way (at least at a small scale)
have not tried to load up a CVN :)
pitchblack
Lieutenant

Post by pitchblack »

the facility idea is really good idea. There are some in the UNITS data file, i wonder if they can move :)
Cerber
Lieutenant

Post by Cerber »

Wow this what you did is very .... creative :)
Indeed you show the light in the tunnel how to get of battalions nightmare :)
Sir Stuie II
Sergeant

Post by Sir Stuie II »

I like this idea and hope the devs take notice of it.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Great idea, thanks for sharing it. If we could modify attack defence values to somthing low then that could represent a division in transit.
hansoh
Corporal

Re: My Hack for Unit Heirachy (i.e. Divisions)

Post by hansoh »

What is that Unit ID? Should I change it if I copy and insert a new line to create my new unit?
killerflood
Brigadier Gen.

Post by killerflood »

hey pitch black how much did you actually increase full burn and supply consumption?
Economically people **** on me

"How come I have this mental image of tkobo's tanks running over these fleeing soldiers, saying 'what was that? oh, just a speed bump'... :)"
coba
Warrant Officer

Post by coba »

Quick question since I am a noobie:

Has anyone ever changed the aircraft capacity for the carrier ? I mean it is kinda silly if the carrier can only bring 4 planes. If yes, how can you make the modification ? Thanks :-)
ruebe
Lieutenant

Re:

Post by ruebe »

StoweMobile wrote:can you do that with naval units? I would much love to load all my land units into a carrier instead of multiple weakling transport that can only carry like...1 unit.
I recently tried this with the British L-12 Ocean, not quite big enough for a full stack (7000 tons) but it carries tanks and infantry just fine. Huge swimming parking lot? :wink:

@coba: 4 planes actually are 4 squadrons of aircraft. Sounds good for a carrier wing. Land and air units in the game represent a batallion / squadron each. Naval units are single ships.

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”