Ability to build new cities?

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

ioannis76
Corporal

Ability to build new cities?

Post by ioannis76 »

I haven't been following the forum for quite some time, and therefore I don' tknow if anyone else has covered this already, if so, I apologise.
Would it be possible to have the ability to build a new city in SR2020? I am not suggesting that this should be done easily, it should require a huge variety and quantity of resources.
I think that, if implemented, this would take the gameplay to another level altogether.
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

I dont think so, it would make the game a civ builder it was felt. However there was an intention to better simulate population. As I recall any poulation that wasn't in a city, never migrated, it was stuck in that hex. There is a plan to fully simualte population. I think.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Ainsworth is correct that building cities is not something we intend the game to include. No one builds new cities anymore, if anything they come into existance because of population growth. We may consider that angle but that depends on how the migration system changes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Feltan
General

Re: Ability to build new cities?

Post by Feltan »

ioannis76 wrote: ...I think that, if implemented, this would take the gameplay to another level altogether.
Yes it would, and not in a positive direction.

Can you name a major city in, say, the last 100 years that was created from scratch? Sure, some cities have grown a lot or lost population -- but I can't recall one being built from the ground up (OK, maybe Las Vegas, but the game doesn't model the mafia so you can't count that one. :lol: )

To allow such a mechanism would, in my opinion, really strain credibility.

Regards,
Feltan
ioannis76
Corporal

Post by ioannis76 »

Can you name a major city in, say, the last 100 years that was created from scratch?
You have a point there. However, some 10 years ago I had read an article about plans to create a new city in my country (Greece). So far I have not heard anything about that issue, and therefore I presume that the idea has been abandoned. :roll:

PS. Browsing the interenet, I found this:
http://www.cyprusforum.com/
Among the suggestions taht the author of this article makes is the creation of a new city.
I understand that it sounds weird to build new cities in the 21st century (it sounds weird to me, too), but the notion seems to exist.

If implemented, the building of cities in the game should take a long time and require immense resources to achieve, so that in each game a player could build no more that two or three at most.
Maybe this could be a gameplay option, something like "allow new cities".
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

I just can't see the goats putting it in, it serves no purpose, how often have you thought, hmm I need to build a new city there, not often! This game isn't civilisation, it is more about conquest and diplomacy not building your civilisation.

I have to agree with Feltan on this one, it would not add anything positive to the game.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Couldn't resist answering the question, for which one answer is Brasilia.
It speaks for itself, but it does meet the qualifications cited above.

There were a few others, notably in Soviet Russia, where whole towns full of slaves would be erected to create industrial focii (e.g. Norilsk). Not a shining example nor a testimonial.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

If you are Stalin than building new citys is no problem but for a game like sr2010 it just wouldnt be realistic.
Go Home and Die
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

I like the idea of building new cities/settlements and don't see why its
unrealistic in the game:
You can rename the cities (well at least the hexes) and build large bases
in the middle of nowhere.....

I think it could give a nice twist to the gameplay.
But i'm more a civbuilder then a wargamer you see... :wink:
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Whether realistic or not, it does remain ATM a feature we don't intend to include. But hey, who knows... :shrug:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Il Duce wrote:Couldn't resist answering the question, for which one answer is Brasilia.
It speaks for itself, but it does meet the qualifications cited above.

There were a few others, notably in Soviet Russia, where whole towns full of slaves would be erected to create industrial focii (e.g. Norilsk). Not a shining example nor a testimonial.
Good points. I had to look up the history of Brisilia as its origins were unkown to me. So, it took about 4 years to build the core of the city -- well within the timeframe of a game of SR2020.

The Soviet ones I knew of, but they hardly count as "cities." I liken them to more of a large prison with a jobs program and rail access.

Regards,
Feltan
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

...with a slight apology to ioannis76 for starting this thread, all I can say is that you just never know what will happen here on these forums. The simplest question may generate a three-page discussion over weeks, while the most significant and heavy question might get you a simple 'yes/no/maybe' answer from someone who might or might not be a goat.

To revive an old favorite -

Running a large empire is like cooking a small fish.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Il Duce wrote:...with a slight apology to ioannis76 for starting this thread, all I can say is that you just never know what will happen here on these forums. The simplest question may generate a three-page discussion over weeks, while the most significant and heavy question might get you a simple 'yes/no/maybe' answer from someone who might or might not be a goat.

To revive an old favorite -

Running a large empire is like cooking a small fish.
:lol:

Just a quick idea:
Related to the post by Tkobo in this thread:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 641a537f16
-------
Build projects, so that a region can fund the building of facilities,roads,etc.. in another region.
-------

Espacialy to be able to build things in other regions.
Could be nice ... however have to think a little bit more about it ... :-?
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

...Funding development of allies [or courting allies by funding such] was also mentioned somewhere in one of those speculations on diplo - no link, but I do recall it. I also seem to recall that the goats' response was less than enthusuastic.

Return to “Wish List”