Allow loading of helo on Cargo units

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Allow loading of helo on Cargo units

Post by Guest »

This was requested in a prev thread. I know BG doesnt like the idea, but I think it is a must. It will add to the game play value

My point, I played the world scenario, and I loaded a division worth of equipment in container ships for delivery to Africa after my Marines invaded it to start a base of operations. I couldnt send any helocopters IE Apaches and Blackhawks to support the division. I couldnt fly them over there because of fuel. and if i used regular carriers I couldnt send them over in stength. It is terriablely unrealistic to load a Nimtz Class carrier with these types of helos when you just can load the cargo bays with these and ship them to established ports in the area. it would also be too expensive to build more ships.

I understand BG from the stand point of ppl with cheat and load them in regular Amp ships and take away from the requriment of two squadrons per Assault ship but I think this should be changed in future updates
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

What I want to see is an ability to transfer reserves from base to base. I think it would fix this problem, if one could reserve a unit and then send it though the supply system in about 4 days + x hours for every 100km or something like that. For the world map it is a must. :/
B@ked
Sergeant

Post by B@ked »

I agree 8)
Antares
Warrant Officer

Post by Antares »

Yeah otherwise how would we have helicopters in Iraq right now?
imnotthatwierd
Captain

Post by imnotthatwierd »

they could take this route...

usa--->greenland---->iceland--->scotland--->norway--->denmark--->swirzerland--->cyprus--->israel--->iraq

...maybe boats would be better...lol
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Ditto for VTOL aircraft. In the Falklands war a container ship carried helicopters and Harriers. While there was no possibility of using the ship as an operational carrier, it was able to carry the aircraft as cargo.

Of course, doing this in the game might be tricky...
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

The sad them is that BG will not listen or consider this. I just hate to have to wait 3+ years to build a Aircraft Carrier just to transfer 2 Battilions of apaches to a war zone.
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Why the hell are you people using helocopters anyhow?
They are pretty much the most usless unit I've ever seen. Weak to everything. Expencive. Slow to build and repair. Low attack values. Low combat time values.
Horrible units over all.
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

to support a mech infantry division, resupply troops by air. Remember were thinking of the big picture not just the regional battles. It adds some replay value. I can tell you now after I unite the US I will not play as France Etc. I will play the world - I like American Equipment

Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Fantnet wrote:The sad them is that BG will not listen or consider this. I just hate to have to wait 3+ years to build a Aircraft Carrier just to transfer 2 Battilions of apaches to a war zone.
We are listening, even if we don't respond, and we have considered this. Like unit hierarchy, this is a feature we would like to be able to include but it goes beyond any of the initial design elements and would not be a simple addition. I would much rather see Ops redesign and Bio/Chem weapons completed than this feature so until we pass that hurdle, this feature simply does not get my vote. We just have too many other things to work on ATM.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

Balthagor-

Hey the reason why I have been complaining so much for this feature because I used it several times during the beta, in fact I was fairly suprised I was able to do so. I thought after that it was part of the game I just hope it makes it in sometime. I guess for now all i can do is play the regions. I was thinking of the big pictures

Thanks
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Fantnet wrote:...I used it several times during the beta...
REALLY?!? :o

I'll have to go back and try that just so that I can see what the effect was. I didn't think we ever had that as an option.

As mentioned, it's not off the list, just off the short list. It had too many issues to give it a "quick fix".
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fantnet
Major

Post by Fantnet »

Cool,

Yeah I used it when I invaded Orgeon. After I secured the port with Marines, I brought in a Emory Land with Army Equipment including Apaches and offloaded them at the port.
Xetal
Lieutenant

Post by Xetal »

This, along with transfering reserves from point A to point B is a good idea.

There are tons of things the devs are probebly working on, so I don't know if this makes the top of the list, but you certainly should be able to trasport things without having to deploy them... and that includes loading up equipment onto a transport ship and transporting it somewhere.

It would also give more importance to survalance in the ocean-areas of the world... if you're in the world campaign and it's Europe vs. North America (for example), then you could really deal a major blow by having your subs sink a few container ships full of expensive helicopters :p
Gresbeck
Sergeant

Post by Gresbeck »

Balthagor wrote:
Fantnet wrote:The sad them is that BG will not listen or consider this. I just hate to have to wait 3+ years to build a Aircraft Carrier just to transfer 2 Battilions of apaches to a war zone.
We are listening, even if we don't respond, and we have considered this. Like unit hierarchy, this is a feature we would like to be able to include but it goes beyond any of the initial design elements and would not be a simple addition. I would much rather see Ops redesign and Bio/Chem weapons completed than this feature so until we pass that hurdle, this feature simply does not get my vote. We just have too many other things to work on ATM.
I think I'm missing something. I've read about a mod by Baloogan available at http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4829, allowing to load aircraft onto transports. I suppose the mod could be used to load helos. Maybe the mod can bo exploitable, as
Baloogan wrote: Yes. Yes you can load > 50 squadrons onto a nimitz. Or load a bunch of B2s on board. They can't 'operate' from the carrier though, as the carrier cannot reload them because they can't land on the carrier.
Anyway it seems that a feature implemented in a simple mod could be easily implemented in a release, and redesigned in such a way that exploits are not allowed.

Return to “Wish List”