Creating Divisions by combining battalions

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Glez
Private

Creating Divisions by combining battalions

Post by Glez »

Would it be possible to implement a build in the construction queu that would be X-Tank Battalion+ X-Infantry Battalion + X-Artillery Battalion +X AT Battalion + X Recon Battalion = Division Standard for example. Another would be X Tank+X Tank + X AT + X Recon + X artillery= Armored Division.
Or any combination of 6 Battalions would be a Division build. If in your Division any unit gets destroyed or damaged you can repair or refit the Division and thus have the lost uni replaced.
This I think would help get rid of some of the micromanagement and would make the game better IMHO.
Any thoughts?
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Seems alot like the formations thing that is going to be implemented, to be organized into divisions. I don't think that the macroed building, while useful, would make this version though :( they locked the interface :/
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

But, if you can actually find a clean idea for an interface to do this, we're still taking ideas for following titles ;)

We had lots of discussions about hierarchy but in the end it simply could not be done in a way that wasn't horribly complicated and unmanagable for this version.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Slash78
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Slash78 »

I have been thinking alot on this subject and was planning to post some stuff in the "Off Topic" area.

As for creating divisions, I already have in SR2010, kind of. 7 battalions two a hex become a 'brigade' and I renamed them so if they get tangled with other units I can seperate them out again. Then I keep 4 brigades fairly close to each other, 2 for combat, 1 with extra artillery and 1 for recon (which only has 4 instead of 7 battalions).

The 'average' armored divison consists of the following,

2 'Armored' brigades with 2 tank battalions, 2 infantry battalions, 1 artillery battalion and 2 supply battalions each.
1 'Artillery' brigade with 3 artillery battalions, 2 infantry battalions and 2 supply battalions
1 'Armored Cavalry' brigade with 1 tank battalion, 1 recon battalion, 1 mortar battalion and 1 supply battalion

All supply battalions have 35 vehicles each. Other division vary on what I feel like building when I from them. I also make independent brigades for Air defense and Marine/Airborne forces. And yes, I rename all my units and make them part of 'brigades'.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

^^^^

That's what I do too... Different TO&E though
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

I wonder if thats what most of us do. It would be interesting to hear how people mix their btns?

I guess if bg did implement a hierarchy in a later version they could add an auto-build eg. build 1 armour brigade and the ai would build the right mix and group and name them.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

I do not have a "standard" TO&E since I'm only testing things for now... Last night, for example, I created an ABN Div (losely) based on the TO&E of the 82nd ABN (3 brigades with 3 Btn of Elite ABN INF + 1 M551 Sheridan + 1 lw155 Btn + 1 Avenger Btn + 1 FARP crew each)
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Never thought of putting a sheriden with airbourne div. Have been equipping airbourne brigades with M56 105mm and using them in airmoble role.

Landed some on enemy base and they continued deploying reserves all around, so my brigade got chewed. Tried to airtransport them out under fire but it didn't seem to work- will try it again in future.

When the ai is implemented I hope it deploys its reserves more fully as when we come to take a base loads spew out and it appears abit 'gamey'.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

dust off wrote:...When the ai is implemented I hope it deploys its reserves more fully...
This has been noted already and yes, the AI will use more troops. It will also set it's qty of troops by assessing outside threats so you may still be able to "surprise" it at times. It tries to keep only what it needs deployed so that it's not overspending. There is a game rule that if an enemy unit entres ZOC of a base it will immediatly try and do a "deploy all" at that base.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Landed some on enemy base and they continued deploying reserves all around, so my brigade got chewed. .
Happened to my ABN Bdes too but I had some armored Bdes nearby so this case was no "a bridge too far" ;)
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Balthagor:
This has been noted already and yes, the AI will use more troops. It will also set it's qty of troops by assessing outside threats so you may still be able to "surprise" it at times. It tries to keep only what it needs deployed so that it's not overspending. There is a game rule that if an enemy unit entres ZOC of a base it will immediatly try and do a "deploy all" at that base.
Thanks, fair enough about the ZOC.

Going to try war with less units later. Two Armour Divs and one Inf Div. One Marine Div in armobile role and some corps elements like 4MLRS btns, extra supply and 4 inf reserve btns. Am using a square Div so that can ditatch a brigade and still have one in reserve.

Draken: How many truck units and arty are you giving to Arm Div? And are you using an attack helo btn attatched to Div?
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

In my recent war against Idaho (I'm playing Washington, US NW map) I gave to my armored div (3 heavy brigades with 2 tanks btns & +2 mech inf btns + 1 sp tube art + 1 AD btn each) 4 truck btns and 3 heli (mh-47). I havent used yet attack helis. Also I had 3 MRLS btn and 4 National Guard Btn as a reserve for this Div. But, since I was having serious fuel problems I couldnt use this division for anything important in that battle... I won that war with a light inf div (3 bde with 3 L. INF btn, 1 tube art btn + 1 AT btn + 1 AD btn_ and my ABN div, wich was VERY efective to cut out enemy supply lines...
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Interesting to hear that you are equipping divisions with tube arty. I keep that for corps and use 2 M110A or M109, and a mortar btn per brigade. The tube arty is very heavy on supplies so I don't want them to suck my armour division dry.

Went to war with only 2 AA Hawk btns and a patriot btn for the division and the first across the start line had one inf, tank, mortar, and suppply btn mauled by enemy MLRS firing long range missiles. Took a while to spot the ****. Had to call in SR71 to recon it.
Last edited by dust off on Jan 24 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Well, the Arty in my Armored Div didnt see much action, so I really dont know how effective it is. But the tube arty in my ABN div saw a lot of action! And was quite effective against retreating units. That div jumped behind enemy lines but each brigade had a FARP unit and it was deployed in the same hex as the Arty btn (M101, if memory serves), interesting enough it did not run out of supplies. Also, in the same hex were 3 Airborne Elite Btn, 1 Avenger btn and 1 M551 Btn.

BTW, now that I think about it, the M101 does not has an Air-droppable atribute, so how did it jump???? The LZ was not an airfield/airstrip/base and the cargo plane was a C-17.... I'll do some test tonight....

Shouldnt we create another thread to talk about TO&Es? Maybe one of the mods can split this one....

Sorry for the hijack, Glez :oops:
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

Have you had your ABN Div involved in sustained fight? or just skirmishes, because my marine airmobile div ran low on ammo pretty quick as did the M56. (FARPS were slow getting to drop point)

Draken
Shouldnt we create another thread to talk about TO&Es? Maybe one of the mods can split this one....
Might be an idea to just start a TO&E/ Tactics thread in the general beta discussion.

Return to “Wish List”