The sound of war

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

BigStone
General

The sound of war

Post by BigStone »

Started a massive attack and a few minutes later i was at war with my neighbour :D
Single units sounds nice...
Although i'm aware that sound isn't fully integrated.. a bit more attention to this point would be welcome.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

You didn't really indicate what more you are looking for...?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

If more then 5 (?) units start fighting at the same time i get a tremendous
cacophony out of my speekers...a porridge of sound...

Maybe it would be nice to hear voices:
" Holy sh*t i"m hit "
" Going down,Going down"
" Mayday mayday " etc etc..

Cheers
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We have sounds like these that will be added later on.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

- Bump -

I just had to order an ambulance for my neigbour... bringing him back to the madhouse...

I established alliances with other regions but when they start a war with another region... I RECIEVE ALL THE NOISE from that battle...

It would be nice if you could filter some sounds....

Thanks
Zickefoose
Warrant Officer

Post by Zickefoose »

BigStone wrote:- Bump -

I just had to order an ambulance for my neigbour... bringing him back to the madhouse...

I established alliances with other regions but when they start a war with another region... I RECIEVE ALL THE NOISE from that battle...

It would be nice if you could filter some sounds....

Thanks
Or atleast only hear the sound when you have the view over the battles.
myros
Lieutenant

Post by myros »

The couple of voice tags in game are a nice touch ... ie "we've taken their captial" would love to see more of that type of thing too. Really adds some extra atmosphere, not that Id like them to play constantly but a little more radio chatter would be sweet.

M
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

"CHARGE"! be nice too. :lol: or "I want my Mommy"

Bergsjaeger= mountain hunter
shaolt2002
Sergeant

Post by shaolt2002 »

I was also thinking the battle sounds are too... chaotic really... Just constant explosions and gunfire which does sound cool and add to the emotion.

However, it does also seem dumb when there is a battle going on in America and I am looking at Australia and hear the sounds just the same...

I think it would be REALLY neat if the sounds faded the further you got away from the battle... That would be awesome, scrolling down and then hearing faint gunfire and then hear it grow and grow and then you finally see the fight.

But I would settle for just a variety of war sounds or more voice acting...

"we're losing men left and right"
"ammo! I need ammo!"
"the tank is empty"

The only problem I foresee, however... Is if these become TOO common... Hearing "bang bang bang bang bang" isn't too bad, but hearing "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!"

I don't know I just think hearing a repetative voice would be more annoying than hearing repetative bullets or explosions.
"Solutions are not the answer." Nixon
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

shaolt2002 wrote:I was also thinking the battle sounds are too... chaotic really... Just constant explosions and gunfire which does sound cool and add to the emotion.

However, it does also seem dumb when there is a battle going on in America and I am looking at Australia and hear the sounds just the same...

I think it would be REALLY neat if the sounds faded the further you got away from the battle... That would be awesome, scrolling down and then hearing faint gunfire and then hear it grow and grow and then you finally see the fight.

But I would settle for just a variety of war sounds or more voice acting...

"we're losing men left and right"
"ammo! I need ammo!"
"the tank is empty"

The only problem I foresee, however... Is if these become TOO common... Hearing "bang bang bang bang bang" isn't too bad, but hearing "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!" "the tank is empty!"

I don't know I just think hearing a repetative voice would be more annoying than hearing repetative bullets or explosions.
I like the fading idea. Hope it gets implemented. I hate the voice acting. :\
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I like the suggestions we are seeing here. I've always felt that the audio elements of the game have never been fully explored. That there is so much more we can do (starting with tying in the music!) and I hope for us to add this to our future updates. Keep the ideas coming, we'll keep track of this.

(but I'm moving it to wishlist so we know where to find it)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

"We need some air support"! or "broken arrow"! "we need Evac"

Be good one's if u losing a battle.

Here's kinda corny one right before a nuke goes off. "ooo look at the pretty light"

"medic"! Be nice too.

Bergsjaeger= mountain hunter
deanco
Major

Post by deanco »

Ahem...

I humbly redirect you to my sound thread:

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4871

"It would be great if, the furthur out you zoomed, the quieter the battle sounds became."

This is a low budget way to mute the sounds somewhat, to give them more variety, and enhance the zoomed out view at the same time, and I chose it because it seems the easiest to do with the biggest payoff. If you want to go farther you could have the sounds grow softer if they were not shown on the screen as stated above. This is an excellent idea. If one wanted to go even farther, you could have stereo panning, i.e., big battle on right side of screen = sound panned slightly right. Finally, one could save 100% volume for when zoomed in completely, thus adding that 'in your face, you are there' aspect when zoomed in, to feel like you are down there on the ground with the troops. These 4 ideas require no additional sounds to be recorded yet would make the soundscape dynamic, it's a way to 'fake' having more sounds than you really have.

Heck, may as well shoot my wad while I'm here. Idea 5: have the battle sounds play back randomly at 102% - 98% of their speed. (That may need to be 101% - 99%, I'm pulling numbers out of my *** here.) The idea is to vary the pitch and duration ever so slightly to break up that 'rat-a-tat tat tat' 'rat-a-tat tat tat' vibe where every sound plays back exactly the same. Once again, no new sounds needed.

Finally, I don't care about voices in game, I think the way it's implemented is perfect, you only hear a voice when something big happens. You *could* have travel sounds, that is, I tell a unit to go somewhere, you hear a short revving of an engine or something. That would give the player an audio cue that he gave a move order. Total Annihilation got this right: avoid voices at all costs, they will eventually wear on you. Unless you're Blizzard. :)

(edit) One last thing. There are dozens of guys on these boards that can tell you the exact armor thickness of the CP-SP 44-B 'Flying Eagle' Composite Plexiglass Salad Bar Sneeze Protector, off the top of their heads. But a little thing like 'the sound' or a tiny detail like 'the graphics', and suddenly it's like 'it's OK! who cares? Just get the dispense rate right for the TP6000 'Stalking Puma' Stealth Toilet Paper Dispenser!'. I really feel like the kid who just wants it to go bang and zoom so he can pretend there is a war happening. So, devs, if this kind of stuff is low on your priority list, lemme know, because I really feel like a voice in the wilderness here.(/edit)

Oof! Glad I got that off my chest!

DeanCo--
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

- Bump -

I had high hopes something on this issue (espacially the allied warsound)
would have changed in update#3
But nope... :cry:

Well maybe something for #4.... please

Cheers
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

BigStone wrote:- Bump -

I had high hopes something on this issue (espacially the allied warsound)
would have changed in update#3
But nope... :cry:

Well maybe something for #4.... please

Cheers
If you feel like you've been asking and wanting it for awhile, you can always just add that wish to your signiture :D

I pity the devs, Theirs just no pleasing some people bigstone :roll: :wink: :D

Seriously though, they can't make everyone happy all the time, you got to admit its a substainsal update and sound wouldn't really add much, well not as much as the contents of number 3

Back to the topic though, I like the idea of having sound decrease as you zoom out and it being completely and automatically muted at max distance, that would kind of balance the extra stress on the machine at further distance not to mention it's just plain and simply a cool idea

Return to “Wish List”