What do you want to see in Supreme Ruler 2010?

Got any suggestions/wish list items? Put them here!

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

naggy
Sergeant

Post by naggy »

Will it be possible to start a war similar to how some historians feel the Spanish-American War was started?

IE: I'm a leader of a democratic California, and I want a good excuse to invade Oregon. I can't afford bad press, so I'll send up a cruiser to visit their port for refueling and have it blow up in the harbor. Blame Oregon, invade, and my people are cheering me on for taking out those trecherous Oregonians...

Obviously, if the cruiser blew up next to an oil tanker that washed oil southward to CA's beaches and the found out I did it, then I'd be toast. But hey, can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs...

Also, each time you used this tactic, it would be more likely to backfire; to the point that if someone else blew up your ships after a while, your people would still assume you did it!

Too bad that seems easier to think of than to code. :smile:

- Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Definitely easier to think of than code :smile: but hey, I'm not the programmer, I'm the designer so it wouldn't be my problem :grin:

We do want something like this in the game so we will be working towards it. No promises though...

What might be more likely is : Your ship blew up in Oregon waters but there is no way of proving who did it (whether you did it yourself or not). You will have less repercussions from the World Market for any retaliatory actions you then take whether you picked the right culprit or not. HOWEVER, if that's your one and only reason for declaring war, then don't expect a whole lot of support.
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

On 2002-07-16 09:29, Balthagor wrote:
Also, I have requested of our programming team that all saved games, player profiles, and any other specific data be saved to a sub-folder of your My Documents folder. This would allow players to easily backup or transfer saved files.
I would like to be able to determine, at the time of installation, what folder SR2010 is installed in, and then everything that SR2010 saves/uses is in a folder under that one. I would rather not have any game or application arbitrairly decide to place stuff in My Documents folder.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Okay, I'll make note of this. I'll see if we can get the program to prompt for both an install directory and a saved game directory, but the default save would be in "My Documents"... no promises though...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
R0B3E
Warrant Officer

Post by R0B3E »

On 2002-07-08 07:51, Reddemon wrote:
Okay now for my wishes.

First wish is please and i ask again please try to keep the POP-UPS on the screen to a bare minimum. Meaning when I'm playing I hate to be distracted from the game with all those POP-UPS messages. Just make a button on the top of the screen that turns R E D when there is messages. Dont have them constantly flooding the screen in the middle of the game play. Civ 3 has that annoying feature it tells me who is the happiest nation in the world like i really give a damn who is the happiest when i get thru i will be controlling there nation too :evil: they wont be happy for long after that. Or who is the richest or the smartest.

Now for my next wish. I see that you are going to have lots of AI players in the game. So I'm figuring that you have to have colors to distinguish between all the players. Now my wish is can you make it that I can choose what color i would be for instance I'm going to play as the Cubans and I want my colors to be R E D (RED DEMON) so all my units would show up RED on the map and all my msgs would be in RED and just everything that pertains to me would be RED. But its probably not going to happen because of all the nations playing and by reasoning the USSR colors are RED and the Chinesse are RED too. Hey there is different shades of RED you can use too that would be my answer. But most likely you would be using the nations flag to for sorting out info and stuff. But please if you do use a standard color for every nation please please please dont use BABY BLUE for the USA as Civ 3 did that is just a lame color for our great Nation give that color to the Jamicans or the Columbians but not the USA :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reddemon on 2002-07-08 07:54 ]</font>
R0B3E
Warrant Officer

Post by R0B3E »

On 2003-04-25 07:50, Balthagor wrote:
Okay, I'll make note of this. I'll see if we can get the program to prompt for both an install directory and a saved game directory, but the default save would be in "My Documents"... no promises though...
I agree that the saved games should not go in My Documents. That folder on my unit is strictly business. I don't want to mix in game files.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I was reviewing game options today and it is still on our list as an option but not the default. The default will be the game's own savegame folder.
Stateman
Sergeant

Post by Stateman »

I dunno if this has been suggested elsewhere, or is in the game anyway, but I really like proxy-wars! I'd like to see partisans, geurilla-groups, mercenaries, nationalists, seperatists, and terrorist organizations (dare I say it) that I can back, fund, train.. without being implicated. I want to be able to wage secret dirty wars, and have them waged against me. I still miss the partisans from Civ2, and resented Civ3 for ignoring non-government actors completely...

Also, I've just joined this forum and havent yet read the Ecxonomics section but I'll say it now, economic warfare too! Trade tariffs, subsidies, embargos or simply flooding other peoples markets with cheap goods, it would be so cool if all this and more (stuff I havent thought of) were possible.

So, to sum up, think US campaigns in 1980s Afghanistan (proxy war) and 1960s/70s Chile ('make them scream', Nixon re the Chilean economy, and also the fermenting of coups in foreign lands!).

I'd like to say Battlegoat- I am VERY, excited about this game. Well done for even trying.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

The espionage/infiltration/funding/etc elements are under the "OPS" section, and while they are not yet implemented in the Beta, they will be shortly.

However, they will not be 'earth shattering' in their effect - like all good espionage, they will help you towards your goals, but they won't make or break anything on their own.

Economic 'warfare' is also possible, but its effect varies greatly by scenario. In most scenarios it is hard to 'flood' the market because the World Market will be able to easily buy whatever quantities you sell at a cheap price. You would need a situation like the Mid-East, where the quantities that, say, Saudi Arabia can put on the market of Oil are so significant that they would end up eroding the World price, thereby hurting the other oil producers in the scenario. This is already in the game.

Trade boycotts etc are also limited in scope if the boycotted player can still buy from the World Market. If, however, they are also being boycotted by the WM (ie for starting a war or whatever), then local boycotts could have an effect.

-- George.
tovi
Warrant Officer

Post by tovi »

The possibility to transport allied troops.
That give a lot of way to attack a country.
Some one can supply the logistic and the ally drive the strike force.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well we jst finished talking about this for about 30mins and the decision is that we are adding a new treaty to the list. There will be a new treaty for sharing transport units. When signed, your transport units wll respond to allied transport orders if the ally has no units available.
red
General

Post by red »

On transporting an ally, is it correct that the AI does/will recognize indirect assistance to one of its enemies?
Zorg
Corporal

Post by Zorg »

Ok, here goes...

1) History, personally I don't like the way you can end up playing this kind of game for days (or weeks) achieve greatness and then have nothing to show for it except for a save game where you own the world. It seems strange to me that you make history yet no one bothers to write it down.

Now I'm not looking for a full replay of the game (thats too much) but I would like to be able to look back over my countries history (future?) and see the most important events. Things like the declaration of war with Scotland, the date on which English troops charged across the border, the surrender of Edinburgh and the end of hostilities. A note of when the Irish struct from behind in an act of treachery, the economic boom periods when all were happy, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

2) Simpler and probably more practical. For Diplomacy, it would be nice if you could indicate to the AI what mood you are in order to give it hints. A lot of games with diplomacy give you hints about the AI ('The Scots are angry with us') but there is no way to return the favour.

I would think it might help prevent the AI making stupid requests or demands. If the AI knows your army is bigger than his and that you are 'Very irritated by him' it will allow him the oppurtunity to molify you or at least not turn up and ask for favours.

t doesn't have to be overly complex, just a little pop up menu at the begining of diplomacy that lets choose a stance from one of several or perhaps under a foreign minister (although then you'd need one for each 'nation').

Well, that's it for now. Hope the beta is going well (hint, hint).

Peace, (Perhaps in this case it should read War?)
Zorg
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, on the historical data, I agree that this would be very nice, but I will need out programmer to make comments on why it's not getting in...

As for the second idea of being able to communicate to the AI the mode of a player, that is already in the design and can be seen in the beta. When diplomatic offers are being sent you can specify a "mood" for the msg by selecting an emoticon for threatening, demanding, arrogant, polite, friendly, grateful or pleading.

Obviously a pleading request for money will be received far differently by the AI than an arrogant request.
McCrank
Corporal

Post by McCrank »

Hey all, first time poster. Just heard about this game in my new Computer Games mag, and being a hardcore strategy gamer, I've become rabidly interested in it... I would like to see very detailed diplomacy for one. Lets use Iraq as a comparison to what I'm trying to say. I don't like country X, I ask their country for a regime change, if not, Ill put some troops on their borders to scare them, at that point, it may/may not happen depending on how smart they are, etc... Stuff like that really makes me want to buy a game, and something that Civ 3 sorely lacked.

P.S. - It looks like beta is closed at this point, dont suppose a guy can beg to get in these days can he?

--Chris

Return to “Wish List”