Summary of pros/cons of annex/colonize?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

rogerbacon
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Summary of pros/cons of annex/colonize?

Post by rogerbacon »

Is there somewhere where I can see the advantages and disadvantages of colonizing vs annexing a region?
Can you build an industrial complex in a colony and get the resources from that hex?
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Summary of pros/cons of annex/colonize?

Post by Kristijonas »

Well a colony is basically a slave nation that you can use to operate your forces from comfortably (if needed) and that you can receive financial benefits from without having to take care of their economy manually.

Annexing brings slightly more benefits in that you control their industry and military fabrication, however there's a 50% penalty in industrial capacity for territory that does not have a loyalty to your nation, so I'm not sure it's really worth it right now.
Balthagor had mentioned a change in how loyalty of territories works, so perhaps it will be more worthwhile annexing nations in the future. Right now it could even ruin your economy. If the territory of the nation you want to annex is loyal to you - annex it without a doubt. You will have better control over the land and the only minus is that you will also have to defend the territory and it will add to the difficulty of the game as you will have to manage a broader territory.

Balthagor, could you elaborate on the planned changes for how loyalty works? Also, I forgot to ask before: Why was my suggestion for multiple loyalties for the same hex rejected? I can only see two reasons: 1. hard to code 2. because it would prevent certain historical rebellions
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Annexation isn't worth it, unless you annex a LARGE country like India, the USA, or China. Then it will pay itself off in taxes from the sheer number of people.

However, it may also ruin your economy, especially in Petrol. There will be a massive spike in demand when that happens.

The best way, IMHO, is to let someone else conquer the Big country, then go in and liberate them. Example: I do this when playing the USA vs. Japan. Let Japan conquer China--send them troops, et al. When they go to war with the USA, go in and take China back.

That way you won't get guerrillas, etc.

Destroy all the factories, etc. in China. They produce at 50% but take up 100% of resources to produce. Rebuild the factories in your home country. Only build new raw materials facilities (Petrol, Agri, etc.) with 90-100% supply, and only if you need them.

Colonization is better for smaller countries--no rebels and they send you all their products.
rogerbacon
Lieutenant

Post by rogerbacon »

Thanks for the information. It sounds depressing. A war game where the cost benefit ratio of actually conquering a country really isn't worth it. :-(
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

FYI I have never had the petroleum spiral of death happen to me, and I have annexed the whole of Europe in one game. I think the other policies affect demand for raw materials.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I tend to get it as the USA, once I take over China. The pop demand is what does it, especially if the world war is still going on (and the demands by the AI for fuel).

Basically, population (home or conquered) is always at 100%.

However, non-home production is 50%.

The best targets for money conquest (e.g., taxes) are the big countries with large populations.

The best for resources, esp. Petrol, are small countries with low pops. Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq and Iran (small-ish pops, lots of oil) are worth taking. Malaya for Rubber, much the same way.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Aragos wrote: Destroy all the factories, etc. in China. They produce at 50% but take up 100% of resources to produce. Rebuild the factories in your home country.
The way this game works is damn funny :D It's an inversion of reality. Moving industry from China to USA because it's more profitable... :lol:
rogerbacon
Lieutenant

Post by rogerbacon »

So if I make a country a colony can I build oil/gas fields in it and get the benefits? Does the construction speed of improvements depend on my supply level there or the colony's supply level?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

rogerbacon wrote:So if I make a country a colony can I build oil/gas fields in it and get the benefits? Does the construction speed of improvements depend on my supply level there or the colony's supply level?
1. Yes
2. colonies supply level

also, make sure they have enough money and industrial goods if you start building something for them. :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
rogerbacon
Lieutenant

Post by rogerbacon »

number47 wrote:
rogerbacon wrote:So if I make a country a colony can I build oil/gas fields in it and get the benefits? Does the construction speed of improvements depend on my supply level there or the colony's supply level?
1. Yes
2. colonies supply level

also, make sure they have enough money and industrial goods if you start building something for them. :wink:
Thanks. That's just what I wanted to hear but what did you mean by "enough money"? If I build an improvement in a colony am I paying for it (I assume so) or am I just telling them to build it and they pay for it? Or did you mean for ongoing costs?
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Nope, you place it, and the colony pays for everything and sends you the goods if they have any spare. I cant remember if and what they charge you for each product they send.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

SGTscuba wrote:...I cant remember if and what they charge you for each product they send.
They do not.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

So ultimately, unless you REALLY need the population, it is better to Colonize. You can still build all the oil wells, etc. you need but without the hassle of a 50% penalty and partisans/guerrillas.

You can even build air bases, land fabs, etc. if you need them in the colony.
rogerbacon
Lieutenant

Post by rogerbacon »

Aragos wrote:So ultimately, unless you REALLY need the population, it is better to Colonize. You can still build all the oil wells, etc. you need but without the hassle of a 50% penalty and partisans/guerrillas.

You can even build air bases, land fabs, etc. if you need them in the colony.
...and no partisans also, right?

Colonies never build their own military though, right?
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

rogerbacon wrote: ...and no partisans also, right?

Colonies never build their own military though, right?
They would, but upon colonisation you confiscate ALL of their military bases including all barracks and fabrication. Whether you like it or not. This mechanic had actually ruined my game as Bhutan when I defeated China with the help of Taiwan an India and colonised it (and saved afterwards :roll: ) only to see that I had more military base facitilies (and the military bases themselves cannot be destroyed. Why?) than I could afford. Not to mention those terrible land grabs I took from China that I totally didn't want and couldn't trade back away...
This was all in SRCW btw, but this mechanic hasn't changed...

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”