Observation: AI and Regional defense

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Observation: AI and Regional defense

Post by Aragos »

In the bazillionth game so far as USA, I decided to befriend nearly all the combatants, just to see how the AI fights it wars.

VH Vol, and most of Europe (as well as Japan) is at war by 1938.

I watched the UK and France invade northern Italy, and was happily supplying Italy with units (yeah, that's how I roll ;), when I noticed that Italy rarely used the units I was selling them to fight. In fact, they were fairly passive, with large clusters of forces around their capital and land production facilities.

Then it hit me. The AI reacts to enemy units based on REGION. If an enemy unit came into a region where forces were, the forces would react and counter-attack. If forces were even one hex outside the regions (e.g., in another region), they would sit there. Consequently, if a region was completely overrun, the AI wouldn't react at all to the enemy presence. I watched France do the same thing as Germany invaded--troops all around Paris, but no one sent to Strasbourg once the region was overrun.

I think that this is a relatively new thing. Betas of the game didn't do that (instead, the AI would throw its army away on sea invasions of defended ports).

The result is this:

1) Rarely if ever do AI allies come to help (not their region, not their problem). Example: No Canadian units come to UK or France. They just sit in Canada.
2) AI can be easily wiped out with a lot of troops still sitting in other regions. This happens to Italy fairly often.
3) AI is hampered from fighting outside of national regions. Example: Japan allows its colonies in China to be overrun before it reacts, and once Korea is gone, never returns to the continent.
4) This hampers cross-regional wars. The US doesn't sent a large number of forces anywhere, but sits in the USA building piles of troops. This imbalances the economy of the world and causes a lot of issues.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Observation: AI and Regional defense

Post by Kristijonas »

You would think such issues would have been solved since Supreme Ruler 2010 gold...
bitterwinterz
Corporal

Post by bitterwinterz »

This is why I have not purchased a SR title since 2020. The AI can be scripted to be active but with out scripts... the AI is intended to be "defensive" per BG. Most "gamers" call this a dumb AI.
Turbo823
Sergeant

Post by Turbo823 »

I have yet to play a game on the hardest setting against the AI that wasn't a complete blowout. The AI right now is horrible, and no challenge. Very disappointing.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”