Recovering from large petroleum shortfalls

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MadDoctor5813
Corporal
Human: Yes

Recovering from large petroleum shortfalls

Post by MadDoctor5813 »

So, I was playing as Spain, and began conquering things, as one does in this game, and around the time I conquered the UK, I began noticing that my units were not moving. A quick examination showed that I was short in petroleum. "No problem", I thought, I'd just invade the Middle East, if it worked for the US, why not for me? Unfortunately, I didn't account for the petroleum the people in my new acquisitions would require. I began systematically hunting down the largest petroleum exporters, save countries like the US, which I obviously couldn't take on at the moment. [s]This brings me to my current situation: I have a demand of something 1.2 million barrels of oil, and I am making somewhere along 100,000 - 300,000 barrels, depending.[s] I tried to build some gas fields, but they take way longer than they should because I have no industrial goods, which require petroleum, of course. Any way to escape this, save building a billion gas fields and waiting?

EDIT: I quickly went into the game and am actually making 400,000-ish and need something like 2 million barrels.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Recovering from large petroleum shortfalls

Post by GreenGoblin »

This is a problem which Germany had in real life. It was one of the reasons they lost the war.

I guess next time you should stockpile massive amounts of oil before going to war (the AI's will stop selling it once they are in a war).
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

My advice would be to focus where you spend your petroleum. 1. Stop building and repairing of ANYTHING except gas fields and oil platforms. Don't build any additional ones. 2. Cut industrial goods production by stopping the facilities themselves or by just making them work less. This will lower petroleum demand. 3. Stop/scrap petroleum power plants. 4. You should now have enough petroleum to go around and finish any military conflicts you might be having. Especially after you have done repairing the conquered oil platforms/fields. After military conflicts are done with, start increasing the production of industrial goods and petroleum electricity to match the output of petroleum.
MadDoctor5813
Corporal

Post by MadDoctor5813 »

My industrial goods tab says it's using 0 bbl of oil. In fact, as far as I can ascertain, nothing is using petroleum. As for building and repairing, I wasn't building or repairing anything. I haven't checked my electrical power, but I'm pretty sure it's mainly coal powered, as I have a massive surplus of that. I'm not in any conflicts right now, which is mainly caused by my shortfalls. I assume my job now is to hunt down every oil field in my lands and repair it. I know many have said it before me, but, that seems really tedious.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Your industrial goods are using 0 petroleum, but they are taken into count when the 2 million barrel demand was shown to you. If electricity is not a problem then you should close what little petroleum power plants you have as well. Although I suppose that would be tedious as well.
Von Bismarck
Captain

Post by Von Bismarck »

I'd just invade the Middle East, if it worked for the US, why not for me?
I wouldn't say that this worked for the U.S.

I usually buy up any oil I can get my hands on early, stockpiling, most countries have an abundance in the beginning. As Spain you might consider North Africa first although war with Italy and France might result. Yes it is long and tedious work to stockpile or become self sufficient, but necessary.
MadDoctor5813
Corporal

Post by MadDoctor5813 »

Actually, in hindsight, my unprovoked wars across the world made it so that trading for petroleum with anyone is unfeasible, I suppose it worked as well for the US as it did for me.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Outside of the anti-US snipes about oil ;)

--increase domestic prices. This will limit domestic consumption (which is the majority of your oil demand)
--increase taxes if that doesn't work. No extra money, and the population won't buy oil
--build supply depots near large oil deposits area. This will increase supply, which will increase production
--max out your infrastructure spending (increases supply)

focus on conquering areas with a lot of oil (Iran, Saudi Arabia).

Build coal-to-oil facilities when you get the techs

Research domestic techs that reduce oil consumption
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Aragos wrote: --build supply depots near large oil deposits area. This will increase supply, which will increase production
First time i'm hearing this. Is it a confirmed fact? Does it also work with other resources/strategies?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

He is correct. Facility output is affected by supply.

See the manual, Key Concepts - Supply Model for more details.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”