Do Cargo ships in port supply land troops?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

rogerbacon
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Do Cargo ships in port supply land troops?

Post by rogerbacon »

If I invade a coastal town and I bring in a cargo ship loaded with cargo, will it supply my land forces that have invaded? If not, is the only thing that will supply land forces land units like supply rucks? If so, how do you resupply the resupply trucks?
number47
General

Re: Do Cargo ships in port supply land troops?

Post by number47 »

Costal town will start "generating" its own supply, if you have a port there or an air base it will do it better (higher supply level). You can supply your land troops by trucks or airplanes, or wait for the land supply level to raise enough so they can supply automatically.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

According to my notes, a naval cargo ship should be able to resupply all units in its Zone of Control, including land units and landed air units. I don't have a game with cargo ships at hand to test this with, but it should work. Though note that the land units must be in the ship's ZOC, meaning adjacent hex to the ship, though for this purpose it doesn't have to be a port (any coastal hex is ok).
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

I guess I should also mention that this is not something the AI will make use of, meaning that it won't automatically run supply trucks back and forth from a coastal hex with an adjacent cargo boat .... you'll need to manually do this.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

This definitely worked in past games. I habitually ran cargo vessels along the coast during landings in places like Vietnam, Korea, etc, to keep the guns firing.
rogerbacon
Lieutenant

Post by rogerbacon »

Thanks. This is good to know. Good game design.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

George Geczy wrote:I guess I should also mention that this is not something the AI will make use of, meaning that it won't automatically run supply trucks back and forth from a coastal hex with an adjacent cargo boat .... you'll need to manually do this.
What determines who supplies who in this instance? Will the ship always supply the truck and not vice versa?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

GreenGoblin wrote:What determines who supplies who in this instance? Will the ship always supply the truck and not vice versa?
That's actually a good question... my guess from a quick look at the code is that:

- Units with supplies in cargo will supply any adjacent unit that needs ammo or fuel. This may actually mean that a supply truck on the coast would try to resupply an adjacent boat, such as a destroyer, if that boat needed ammo or fuel.

- Units will not replenish the cargo stock of other transport units. This means that a supply boat off the coast will replenish the fuel and ammo of units, but will not fill up the cargo hold of a supply truck. So you can't run back and forth from the coast with a cargo truck, instead the units themselves will need to run back and forth from the coast (assuming the supply boat is located there). The only way to resupply the cargo load of a supply truck is through the supply generated by cities/ports/bases.

This may not be the most ideal arrangement, though it does make sense 99% of the time.
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

George Geczy wrote:
GreenGoblin wrote:What determines who supplies who in this instance? Will the ship always supply the truck and not vice versa?
That's actually a good question... my guess from a quick look at the code is that:

- Units with supplies in cargo will supply any adjacent unit that needs ammo or fuel. This may actually mean that a supply truck on the coast would try to resupply an adjacent boat, such as a destroyer, if that boat needed ammo or fuel.

- Units will not replenish the cargo stock of other transport units. This means that a supply boat off the coast will replenish the fuel and ammo of units, but will not fill up the cargo hold of a supply truck. So you can't run back and forth from the coast with a cargo truck, instead the units themselves will need to run back and forth from the coast (assuming the supply boat is located there). The only way to resupply the cargo load of a supply truck is through the supply generated by cities/ports/bases.

This may not be the most ideal arrangement, though it does make sense 99% of the time.
OK, glad I know this now.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”