What settings do you play with?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

What settings do you play with?

Post by Kristijonas »

Hello, I would like to invite everyone to share what settings you change on game start and why.
For example I play with:
enhanced spotting enhanced range at off (because I like it being realistic and I like advanced nations owning technologically inferior nations (if I understand what these settings do correctly, they don't allow units with low range to attack units with long range, unless they come closer))

diplomatic merchant marine off (for better performance and because I don't think it adds much?)

nuclear weapon penalties - low (I want to encourage AI to use nuclear weapons)

Hot Relations at High (because even on high world eventually comes to a halt and no one declares wars anymore :( Considering very high, wondering what are other opinions?)

Military difficulty very hard because I was told it does not give the AI any unfair bonuses, but increases AI IQ?

Economy difficulty default because I have no idea what it does and want fairness for all

Diplomatical difficulty very easy because I was told this creates more conflicts among nations (And I hate it when everyone in the world is in the same alliance) and because it gives me a chance to eventually befriend totally unfriendly nations (with many investsments still)

Allied victories off

random events - highest because this game lacks events so very much even on highest. Especially events that actually matter/diplomatical events.

allow government change - sometimes off because it is impossible for dictatorships to turn back to other government modes.

critical UN - off (I don't want to discourage nations to conflict with each other. Although I'm still considering to turn this on, because sometimes nations that declare many wars are still generally liked worldwide and by the UN)

approval effects - low (Don't want warmongers to be hurt too much by their warmongering ways. Considering setting this to medium next time. What are other opinions?)

Initial funds - default (no idea why it was set to "no new bonds" instead of "default" by default :D)

Now electricity sales and weather system - these are highly debatable. Really interested to hear more opinions.

Allowing electricity sales would allow more realistic trading between nations. However, at the same time, I think it is realistic that some countries would lack electricity and have no cables to other nations? I think this should be on for long games? (because even North Korea and Iran nowadays can probably just buy electricity if they need it)

Weather system I turned off because I don't see why it should be on, and also I think it hits performance when on.
number47
General

Re: What settings do you play with?

Post by number47 »

This font size is like a fist in the eye...sorry, couldn't read any of it :-?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

I changed it because the regular font size was like a fist in the eye and I thought it'd be easier to read with a bigger one. Try to ctrl+scroll out.
Bob
Warrant Officer

Post by Bob »

Military difficulty very hard ...I do not know what advantages are built in for the A.I., but I do want its best game. This ties into economy settings, you do not want the world going broke...

Economy difficulty .....setting this to a hard/very hard setting seems to dry up the worlds money unless you communist. To keep the world moving I set it to average still kills some nations like Sweden.

For some that I have read on here (and I have read post on here for a very long time) they want to win easy and that is cool. But there are others here that want to have the feeling they could lose. To give the AI the best chance, I want "it" to have lots of cash to buy weapons, keep its tech going and have as much unlimited building ability as possible.
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Bob wrote: For some that I have read on here (and I have read post on here for a very long time) they want to win easy and that is cool. But there are others here that want to have the feeling they could lose. To give the AI the best chance, I want "it" to have lots of cash to buy weapons, keep its tech going and have as much unlimited building ability as possible.
Me too, but I don't want any artificial bonuses for the AI countries. I simply want the AI to be better at taking care of their militaries and economies.

I thought setting economy difficulty to hard should be helpful to the AI?
Bob
Warrant Officer

Post by Bob »

I believe it is all about the cash, the human player can find ways to create goods, the AI is stuck. To help keep the AI moving along the only real tool I can think of is making it to where it does not run out of cash...
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

Does it really get stuck? I've seen in SRCW games at least countries in huge debt taking a turn back and getting out of the debt little by little. Maybe the AI is programmed to save money if it's deep in debt?
Bob
Warrant Officer

Post by Bob »

hi Kristijonas

the hard and hardest settings for economy create a lot of debt all over the world. IMO, those two setting are only good for those who want to just run a country and not be war focused. Not being able to pay your interest causes no research to be done for example......

just for fun

Modern world is fun to play, I took the USA and set all its spending settings to max. I let this run until the USA had a total of $17 trillion in debt (bond debt plus cash debt) The USA could not do research, build units, get loans, buy goods until the Cash debt was made positive. It caused the USA to withdraw from the world. I recycle a lot of facilities and used tech, unit designs, and military equipment to buy raw material to produce industrial good and consumer goods. The world went wild and 3 years later when I finally had the USA in the black, the world was not anything like when the game started. this also put the USA behind in tech, so that added to the fun.

bob

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”