Combat: just dont get it..

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

hafer
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Combat: just dont get it..

Post by hafer »

Hi, i need further advice..

I ve found no way to manage combat. Lets say you ve a lot of units over the map.

You cant give waypoints. So do you have to move from hex to hex? Then there is more micromanagement compared to games like "decisive campaigns case blue" or "war in the east". And if you dont move your units from hex to hex, where is the deeper sense of the defense or close combat overlays? They are just useless without the multiple-waypoint option.

If you draw a box over some hexes and command the units to attack their frontline. How does combat work? I mean, does every unit just move to the front and fight with the next best enemy? What's with infantry, tanks, artillery, recon - are they using their role or do they just push forward?

Or is it true that you have to play the game like commmand&conquer? Then i wouldnd call it a wargame and swith back...

Sorry, but you recognize my frustration? I paid a lot of money and just get confused .. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Von Bismarck
Captain

Re: Combat: just dont get it..

Post by Von Bismarck »

hafer wrote:Hi, i need further advice..

I ve found no way to manage combat. Lets say you ve a lot of units over the map.

You cant give waypoints. So do you have to move from hex to hex? Then there is more micromanagement compared to games like "decisive campaigns case blue" or "war in the east". And if you dont move your units from hex to hex, where is the deeper sense of the defense or close combat overlays? They are just useless without the multiple-waypoint option.

If you draw a box over some hexes and command the units to attack their frontline. How does combat work? I mean, does every unit just move to the front and fight with the next best enemy? What's with infantry, tanks, artillery, recon - are they using their role or do they just push forward?

Or is it true that you have to play the game like commmand&conquer? Then i wouldnd call it a wargame and swith back...

Sorry, but you recognize my frustration? I paid a lot of money and just get confused .. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Perhaps Hafer needs some1 else's input here, since I have tried with no apparent success. But I feel compelled to weigh in just a bit more.

I have not played the games you mentioned, so can't speak to them. It sounds like you are struggling with the scale of the game, and I am not sure there is an answer to what ails you. What I will say is that many of us do enjoy the minutia. I know I searched a long time for a game that encompassed RTS combat with the economic, research, espionage, political, and diversity of combat (land/air/sea) aspects that are included in this game; however, you may not. I think you would be more comfortable with equipping an army and sending it off in a general direction. Combat is a hex to hex, or move and then move again type of game, with units engaging each other using variables such as strength, morale, preparedness/entrenchment, supply, terrain, alertness, visibility, and range to target.

You mentioned "roles of tanks and infantry" and I am not sure what you mean by that, but if you are asking if they can act on their own, then I would say yes but to what effect? The AI can and does control some of what your units are doing based upon the variables mentioned above and what levels of control you give the AI, but the level of command is largely left to you. If you want to group up a bunch of units and click an objective you can do that. I and others have explained that type of play in earlier posts, but as I said before, I enjoy the minutia and the scale of the game so do not want the AI left in control of my units. You can, and probably do, call this micromanagement but I prefer to dissect the enemy, and so I paint in detail rather than in broad strokes.

Lastly, I would not call myself an incredibly experienced player (the game was basically a present to myself last Christmas), but give it a chance. I did not join the forum until I had tried the game and failed a few times and wanted to know more about the mechanics. If you joined this forum shortly after purchasing, then like me you are still pretty green. Perhaps you can expand upon the problems that you are having, giving more detail.

I applaud the BG developers for creating and fine tuning this game, it was just what the Dr. ordered and helped me break a dependency on a certain FB game (Battle Pirates :x ) that I had developed an unhealthy relationship with. :-). I literally spent over $1000 dollars on it to try to be competitive and in the end I had nothing, so for me the money was and is relative, but my view is that the $35 was a paltry price to pay.
Bismarck Ship.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Damn fine picture there, and if you squint, you can see the Fairey Swordfish swooping in...
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Von Bismarck
Captain

Post by Von Bismarck »

Those damn pesky swordfish 8O
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

It's not an Iowa. Just sayin. :D

Back to the OP: Many of the filters for terrain, etc. you are referring to are available. Go to the right bottom corner of the screen--the minimap. Around it are different options for the on-map filters, to include close combat, et al.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”