On Naval Invasions, Taking Ports, and Supplying Landings

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MadDoctor5813
Corporal
Human: Yes

On Naval Invasions, Taking Ports, and Supplying Landings

Post by MadDoctor5813 »

So, let me say first off, that I really like this series, and I have played Supreme Ruler 2020, and 1936 is a huge improvement for me, usability wise. That being said, I do have a question about supplying naval invasions. Is there a way to "amphibiously" supply amphibious landings, i.e. not using a port? I tried with a amphibious transport ship, but either it didn't work, or I can't read.
NovaCameron
Sergeant

Re: On Naval Invasions, Taking Ports, and Supplying Landings

Post by NovaCameron »

I haven't gotten amphibious lands to work quite yet either. But i think your need an amphibious landing ship AND an amphibious landing unit. I just use air drops. Much easier to use and command since I use them for little islands that don't have a port. Otherwise I just search for a lesser defended coastal port and select 200 units and brute force my way ashore.
MadDoctor5813
Corporal

Post by MadDoctor5813 »

At the time, I didn't have any usable planes for air drops. Instead, I did your brute force strategy then a mad dash to London.
XT6Wagon
Private

Post by XT6Wagon »

your units next to the coast can be supplied from cargo ships. Just be aware that any serious landing force can burn through 6000 tons of supply quite quickly. Double so since your ships will steal from it too.

If you have amphibious landing ships, might be better to take a undefended part of the coast with a town or something and build your own port + supply depots while using the town itself to generate that intial supply. Saves the trouble of dealing with units that go out of supply then start driving into other well defended hexes for no reason...
Von Bismarck
Captain

Post by Von Bismarck »

your units next to the coast can be supplied from cargo ships
I am not sure I have ever seen, or been able to detect this effect. If supply is provided then I don't think it is much.

Your best bet is either to land where they aren't and make the "mad dash" as you said, or to destroy garrison/guarding troops with naval and/or air bombardment before attempting the landing.
I haven't gotten amphibious lands to work quite yet either. But i think your need an amphibious landing ship AND an amphibious landing unit. I just use air drops. Much easier to use and command since I use them for little islands that don't have a port. Otherwise I just search for a lesser defended coastal port and select 200 units and brute force my way ashore.
Landing Craft.jpg
1. Yes, if you are landing anywhere besides a friendly port, you will need something like the above. Some cargo/transport ships, do not have the amphibious shore landing ability, so make sure they do.
2. Also some ships can't carry much weight, so the units you want to load won't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Von Bismarck on Jul 08 2014, edited 1 time in total.
czert
Captain

Post by czert »

NovaCameron wrote:I haven't gotten amphibious lands to work quite yet either. But i think your need an amphibious landing ship AND an amphibious landing unit. I just use air drops. Much easier to use and command since I use them for little islands that don't have a port. Otherwise I just search for a lesser defended coastal port and select 200 units and brute force my way ashore.
How do you brute these 200 unist ashore ? are they amphibius ? if not, how do you conquer initial landing point ?
Can you beat me ?http://czert1938.mybrute.com

Want help to develop/play mod for one of best games ever ? Try this. http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ub ... =cfrm&c=11
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

czert wrote:
NovaCameron wrote:I haven't gotten amphibious lands to work quite yet either. But i think your need an amphibious landing ship AND an amphibious landing unit. I just use air drops. Much easier to use and command since I use them for little islands that don't have a port. Otherwise I just search for a lesser defended coastal port and select 200 units and brute force my way ashore.
How do you brute these 200 unist ashore ? are they amphibius ? if not, how do you conquer initial landing point ?
Merchant Marine them into the port and they will "unload" and engage in close combat with the garrison and other units present. I've found for this to work you need special ops or something with a significant amount of combat time.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”