HQ Units

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

moin
Sergeant
Human: Yes

HQ Units

Post by moin »

Where are the HQ units like those seen in Hoi 3. They make the game more realiistic and gives the game more efficient and strategic look. In reality no battle can take place without a HQ unit.
dax1
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: HQ Units

Post by dax1 »

moin wrote:Where are the HQ units like those seen in Hoi 3.
in Hoi 3 :D
Con forza ed ardimento
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

moin wrote:Where are the HQ units like those seen in Hoi 3. They make the game more realiistic and gives the game more efficient and strategic look. In reality no battle can take place without a HQ unit.

When you build a land unit you build a battlion. So your HQ elmant is assumed to be part of the unit. Since SR works only in battlions there are no brigade or divsnional HQ units.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati
Emeg
Sergeant

Post by Emeg »

SoB wrote:
moin wrote:Where are the HQ units like those seen in Hoi 3. They make the game more realiistic and gives the game more efficient and strategic look. In reality no battle can take place without a HQ unit.

When you build a land unit you build a battlion. So your HQ elmant is assumed to be part of the unit. Since SR works only in battlions there are no brigade or divsnional HQ units.
Because having so many battalion units in the game it would be great to have a real existing OOB (order of battle). It is possible to group battalions into a one level deep formation, what is somewhat clumsy and not very realistic. But hé.. Supreme Ruler 1936 is just a game, not a simulation as HoI3 is ;)

Oh.. if you are somewhat creative, than it is possible to create a realistic looking military OOB hierarchy in this game too. What I do is using the rename possibility in the deployed battalions screen. See the picture below to find the button for this option.

You can rename a battalion in any name you wish! By renaming a battalion in - 4xx HQ I have started to create my OOB structure in the chaos of all the presented battalions. The - symbol in a battalion name is in use as a seperation marker. In how I renamed my units I add a lot of information regarding the place of the battalion unit in my OOB hierarchy.

The xx is a realistic military symbol, it is the NATO code for a division. With that information you can assume that the 4xx HQ code represent the battalion protecting the divisional staff (including its Major General) of the 4th Infantry Division. Another battalion in the picture above is renamed into 70 Infantry - C4xx The 4xx code in the last part of the unit name tells that the 70th Infantry (battalion) belongs to the 4th Infantry Division. The C code, connected to the 4xx code tells that this battalion is a part of Combat Group C, acting inside the 4th Infantry Division as one of its sub formations. Thus I have created in the unit name a three levels deep OOB hierarchy what is showing the name of the battalion itself, being the 70th Infantry, belonging to Combat Group C (a divisional sub formation having the size of a brigade or regiment) that belongs to the 4th Infantry Division.

As I wrote before, you can rename any battalion in any name you wish. This gives a lot of creative freedom to create any OOB you wish inside your own military hierarchy. In my OOB a division formation contains a lot of battalion units. Many of my divisions (if fully equipped) have three brigade sized combat groups, named Combat Group A, B and C. Each combat group contains three battalions acting as frontline units and (if needed) also support battalions as transport units, a (light) artillery battalion and a reconnaissance battalion. Directly attached at divisional level a division can have (many) support units too, as (heavy) artillery battalions, engineer battalions, transport units and of course always the divisional HQ battalion.

You can see other examples for renaming battalion units in the picture above. The 1 M_Infantry - C1xx is the 1st Mounted Infantry batallion, part of Combat Group C that belongs to the 1st Infantry Division. Below that unit you can see the 44th Mounted Infantry Battalion, being a peer unit of the 1st Mounted Infantry battalion because it belongs to the same Combat Group (C) formation, inside the 1st Infantry Division. Below that (in the list seen in yellow letters as) 47 M_Infantry - 1xxxx is the 47th Mounted Infantry Battalion. This battalion is not a peer unit of the 44th Mounted Infantry because it is in the OOB directly attached to the 1st Army, thus receiving its orders directly from the commander of the 1st Army, existing at much higher place in the military hierarchy than a divisional commander.

The xxxx is the NATO code for an army, having (in my game) three army corps placed in its OOB, and (not seen in the picture) the xxx is the Nato code for an Army Corps, having (in my game) three divisions in its OOB. So in my game is an army a huge formation, containing nine divisions and a lot of support units in its order of battle structure. The Nato code xxxxx stands for an Army Group, being an theater sized military formation, containing two or three armies in its OOB.

To place a whole division in a larger parent formation (being an Army Corps) you can add new information in de name of the Division HQ battalion. Information placed at the right side of the unit name tells in my sytem always its place in the OOB hierarchy. Divisional HQ battalion 4xx HQ - 1xxx shows that the 4th Division is a sub formation of the 1st Army Corps and 1xxx HQ - 1xxxx tells that the 1st Army Corps belongs to the 1st Army. Oh.. and back to a much smaller formation on brigade level. Course you can create also small formations at brigade (regiment) level. 4x HQ - 2xx is the HQ battalion of the 4th Brigade being a part of the 2nd Division.

Lets use this system to create a realistic looking OOB hierarchy. The 102 Infantry - 4x is subordinate to 4x HQ - 2xx and one level up in the OOB is the 4th Brigade subordinate to 2xx HQ - 1xxx. On divisional level: 2xx HQ - 1xxx and 4xx HQ - 1xxx are peer units, both are subordinate to 1xxx HQ - 1xxxx.
The 1st Army Corps is subordinate to 1xxxx HQ - 2xxxxx and the 1st Army is reporting to the 2xxxxx HQ. From the 102 infantry battalion up to the 2nd Army Group, a six level OOB hierarchy, created in Supreme Ruler 1936 by using the rename tool this way.

OOB structures, as in my example, can by used for writing AAR reports. But it is also a nice administatief methode that I use as my memory aid for making (temporary existing) ingame battlegroups. Knowing how I can maintain the interconnected relations of my formations based on the OOB hierarchy, bypassing the fact that Supreme ruler 1936 has not a realistic OOB stucture that can be recognized by the game engine itself.

With regards, Emeg.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Recommend you use the search engine. Basically, everything you noted was discussed in detail in the Beta. BG instead went with their battalion-level organization.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”