Air AI

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Air AI

Post by GreenGoblin »

Quick question: has anyone else ever seen the AI use aircraft in situations other than these two?

1) Resupply of ground troops by transport planes.

2) Scrambling to intercept enemy planes directly above airbases.

It's just I've never seen it carry out bombing runs, despite building lots of bombers.
stevehoos
Lieutenant

Re: Air AI

Post by stevehoos »

When I was playing with Belgium, I declared war on Germany in 1945 (they owned all of Europe), which should have led to them bombing the heck out of me. I really had no defense to withstand the Luftwaffe, which I don't recall ever attacking. Great game, but the AI leaves a lot to be desired at this juncture.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

GreenGoblin wrote:Quick question: has anyone else ever seen the AI use aircraft in situations other than these two?

1) Resupply of ground troops by transport planes.

2) Scrambling to intercept enemy planes directly above airbases.

It's just I've never seen it carry out bombing runs, despite building lots of bombers.
They are occasionally used as air support for ground units.. or should be. I haven't looked at the AIparams in 36 yet. But they were called in some circumstances to support ground troops in CW.. and are as well in the modern world mod. It may be that they are still using a version of the AI params I created for CW which was heavily based on multirole fighters which are rare for quite a few years in 1936.. for things other than intercept missions. Still seems to work decently in the modern world mod so I suspect this is the case. (one of the major changes I had made was to make the AI use foot infantry more often so at first glance it still seems like a good fit for 1936.. the issue withe multirole vs other types of planes though is likely one BG didn't forsee since I was the one who wrote it lol)

This was one of the reasons I lobbied for mutiple AI params files for different nations.. nations have different selections of units so its hard to get an AI params thats optimal for all nations.

Given the time period Its likely multiroles can be almost completely removed from the AI params and replaced with either Bombers or Interceptors since Multirole fighters are pretty much outside the scope of the main campaign. Just means I would need use a custom AI params for modern scenarios.

I'm off sunday/monday ill poke around the AIparams and get back to you on specifics and make any notes of any changes needed to BG.. this was the type of Feedback they expected from me during early access but I was lazy during that period. (by lazy i mean working 40+ hours a week and not spending any free time on anything other than just playing games lol)

Also since were on the subject.. if anyone from BG reads this, did we get any new AI params lines? If so please either post or send me the info to post for us modders to be able to tweak them.

I'll see what I can do to make it better for the vanilla campaign and if there are any new lines Make a custom one for the modern world while I'm at it. (or ruges can if he's still floating around.. although we have different opinions of what the optimal AI params should be if it wasn't for his original research into the file I wouldn't be as proficient in the file as i am)

It's worth noting that since i have yet to look at the file I could be way off base.. they could have tweaked/changed the file I had made since then. But the last update of SRCW used my custom file i had created for the modern world mod. (which is why i stopped providng a custom one with the mod)

Edit: After a cursory glance at the file It seems they are still using the one I had made for the modern world mod in SRCW. SO yes there is a Huge difference that can be made with this. Given BG is not in the office on weekends I'll likely tweak and provide a custom one for testing tommorrow morning then BG can adopt it if they approve.

Given the exensive use of helicopters in the Current version and the lack of effectiveness of Helis in 36 I may do some major tweaking regarding this.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

This was a quick edit before work, I have had neither time to test nor optimize it. However give a try and let me know how it works.
TO install: Unzip and place into your INI folder over the old one. I'll put more time into optimizing one when I get more time.(probably tomorrow morning after work) This however should make much more extensive use of Bomber class planes. (regular bombers not Strategic)

Back up your old one just in case I broke something horribly :lol:

I suggest keeping the default one for the modern world mod for now since it better fits the time period.. but the above one should show some noticable improvment of bombers in the vanilla campaign/scenarios time period.

Note: I can't remember if the AI params is stored in the sav or not so you can try it with or without a new game but May or maynot make any difference in old saves. (pretty sure you can use it with an old save game just cant promise since its been ages since I messed with this file)
again this was a quick edit.. and can be optimized much more this is just a test to see if it gives you a bit more usage than you see now.

@BG.. we still need more AI params lines and I could optimize things further PM for ideas :wink:

Removed Old one try one below.
Last edited by Fistalis on Jun 08 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

K i'm home from work.. I see 1 whole person downloaded it.. whoever you are.. did you see any improvement? the Lack of downloads tells me that the majority of people aren't concerned with optimizing the way the AI uses its units. That or they are scared I'm some kinda super haxxor that was gonna steal all their passwords with a text file...
Turbo823
Sergeant

Post by Turbo823 »

I started a new campaign 1940 and there isn't much improvement that I can see with the modded files. THe AI is still relatively passive with its air.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Turbo823 wrote:I started a new campaign 1940 and there isn't much improvement that I can see with the modded files. THe AI is still relatively passive with its air.
Thats odd they should be calling in bombers for more situations... since I have the time I'll poke at it and test a bit myself. Of course BG could have redone it so it ignores the AI params file.. in which case none of this will change anything.

You did copy the file over the old one correct?

Edit: i'm seeing some improvement. Not sure what you're expecting.. this isn;t going to make them do mass bombing runs on facilities or anything.. just make them more likely to Send bombers to bomb enemy troops.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

just downloaded it. will give it a run and let you know. thanks!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:just downloaded it. will give it a run and let you know. thanks!

In the modern world I used extensive use of helis in that role.. but given this time frame I've reduced the instances the AI calls for helis and switch those out for bombers.

More can be done.. but there is a limit.. any time I add it to call in bombers I'm reducing it calling in something else. Hence why reduction of heli calls makes the most sense.

This one which I JUST updated @ 8:20 AM CST I'm seeing lots of Air action from teh germans while attacking france. But since I've played the campaign so little I'm a bad judge as to whether its better or not.

Its worth noting that the MAJORITY of all planes I see in any major powers arsenal are transports and recon neither of which I'm willing to call into battle.. lol

Another thing we can do to optimize it for WW2 would be to further reduce Multirole calls for Interceptors..

Edit: I've optimized it the best I can without going into extensive testing... try the above one and let me know how it works.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

This is the one you should be testing. Again though.. I'm not sure what people are expecting so its hard to say if the improvements are going to please or leave people wondering what the changes were lol
AIParams.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:the Lack of downloads tells me that the majority of people aren't concerned with optimizing the way the AI uses its units. That or they are scared I'm some kinda super haxxor that was gonna steal all their passwords with a text file...
Or they are also working 40+ hours a week and not spending any free time on anything other than just playing games :P
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I'll update the AIParam with the new one. Just an observation, but the AI seems to be using air better. 1940--Germans are sending a/c over London to try to support the never-ending line of transports trying to take the London docks.

Now, we need one for naval forces. :)
stevehoos
Lieutenant

Post by stevehoos »

I will try this and let you know what results are subsequent. I usually hold off on mods for games early in their inception stages, but I will try this because I am more interested in this game becoming my mainstay; I left Rome 2 because it is a hopeless game.
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

Yeah, Rome II didn't float my boat ... played the bejebus out of Shogun II though :P
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote: Now, we need one for naval forces. :)
unfortunately very little can be done for naval forces in the AI params. Its already a limited method.. but there are only like 1 or 2 lines dedicated to naval at all. Meaning the majority of naval actions are hardcoded.. and outside my realm of tweaking.

This is certainly an area that would do alot for the game if expanded apon. I share the opinion of many others in that other than a few feature tweaks etc the biggest thing holding the game back at this point is the AI. While I'm always happy to try and tweak the current params to be more optimal there is much more that could be accomplished by bg expanding these and/or improving the hardcoded elements of the AI.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”