Air AI

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Re: Air AI

Post by Aragos »

My thoughts exactly. All the parts to a truly great game are there--what is lacking is the AI.
Turbo823
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Post by Turbo823 »

Fistalis wrote:
Turbo823 wrote:I started a new campaign 1940 and there isn't much improvement that I can see with the modded files. THe AI is still relatively passive with its air.
Thats odd they should be calling in bombers for more situations... since I have the time I'll poke at it and test a bit myself. Of course BG could have redone it so it ignores the AI params file.. in which case none of this will change anything.

You did copy the file over the old one correct?

Edit: i'm seeing some improvement. Not sure what you're expecting.. this isn;t going to make them do mass bombing runs on facilities or anything.. just make them more likely to Send bombers to bomb enemy troops.

Umm. I goofed on the instalation. I am seeing the AI bombing more units. Just curiously does the AI ever attack naval units?
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Turbo823 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:
Turbo823 wrote:I started a new campaign 1940 and there isn't much improvement that I can see with the modded files. THe AI is still relatively passive with its air.
Thats odd they should be calling in bombers for more situations... since I have the time I'll poke at it and test a bit myself. Of course BG could have redone it so it ignores the AI params file.. in which case none of this will change anything.

You did copy the file over the old one correct?

Edit: i'm seeing some improvement. Not sure what you're expecting.. this isn;t going to make them do mass bombing runs on facilities or anything.. just make them more likely to Send bombers to bomb enemy troops.

Umm. I goofed on the instalation. I am seeing the AI bombing more units. Just curiously does the AI ever attack naval units?
Only if they 'luck' into them (overflight or if ships get in the way of other ships.)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:
Only if they 'luck' into them (overflight or if ships get in the way of other ships.)
There is a line call for naval battles in the AI params but honestly I'm not sure when its actually called up. In CW its was mainly used for naval invasions. IE sending battleships etc to clear out the Coastal hexes so merchant marines could land. Its likely the same here.

Good example of one of the areas that need expansion IMO. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Fistalis wrote:
Aragos wrote:
There is a line call for naval battles in the AI params but honestly I'm not sure when its actually called up. In CW its was mainly used for naval invasions. IE sending battleships etc to clear out the Coastal hexes so merchant marines could land. Its likely the same here.

Good example of one of the areas that need expansion IMO. :wink:
Ditto. In my newest game, I just watched both the UK and Germany wipe each other's armies out by a handful of ships and/or garrisons wiping out the never-ending train of merchant ships.

More I play the game, the more I dislike then entire MM system. Better to have the rare invasion using amphibs, etc. than the AI wiping out its own armies (which has other effects as well--massive demand of Mil Goods to repair units, which reduces the amount for replacement of units, etc.).

The game works pretty well on ground-based campaigns, but as soon as the MM's start sailing, it becomes problematical.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote: Ditto. In my newest game, I just watched both the UK and Germany wipe each other's armies out by a handful of ships and/or garrisons wiping out the never-ending train of merchant ships.

More I play the game, the more I dislike then entire MM system. Better to have the rare invasion using amphibs, etc. than the AI wiping out its own armies (which has other effects as well--massive demand of Mil Goods to repair units, which reduces the amount for replacement of units, etc.).

The game works pretty well on ground-based campaigns, but as soon as the MM's start sailing, it becomes problematical.
Yes generally that happens when the above discussed line call fails to clear out the area.
The AI calls for battleships/destroyers etc to clear out an area and sends in a mass of merchant marines behind them.
If that initial assault of ships fails the clear the area then the merchant marines are just suiciding. If that initial grouping clears the area you get a nice naval invasion.

An "Easy" quick fix on BGs side would be for it to double or triple the number of ships called in that line call to clear an area prior to a naval invasion, and have the AI abort if it simply doesn't have enough ships. Million better ways to fix it but this should reduce how often you see that suicide MM scenario with a very limited amount of programming changes. It could still happen of course but the added ships to clear out the area would likely make these naval invasions much more successful on average.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I would raise the damage level to MM to an absolute minimum. First hit, of any kind, and they turn back.

A good addition would be an 'alternate invasion site' mission for the AI. If it loses a set # of units (or the Naval forces fail to clear it out), the follow on MMs should re-route to the next nearest port. I watched the German AI last night try for a hour to get into London, and all they had to do was land at Portsmouth.
stevehoos
Lieutenant

Post by stevehoos »

In my latest play through I would deduce that the AI is largely ineffective in most areas. I feel it does not build enough units (Japan, France, Russia, for sure) bottom line, besides having the aptitude to not use some of them at all. I played as France and easily held off a German attack which featured no offensive Air units to speak of. Then in my counter attack on Germany/ Berlin, about 8 squadrons of Stuka dive bombers sat on an extended coffee break (at Munchen) as my armored lines of antiquated units passed by; they did not attack once. It is just one play through, but I did not notice any change in aggressiveness in the AI air units. Oh and thanks for the adjustments and the new file, will keep testing versions if you make them.

If I can research no units, mass all my old units on the Maginot line, give Japan 4 billion dollars and all my techs for free- hence watch them do nothing- but lose to China, and take a nap while the game is playing and wake up winning, the AI is falling to make bridgehead right now, it is stuck in the sea floundering. It's almost as though the AI initiative for air usage is stuck on off besides the other issues. Really like the game, but my latest game offered 0 challenge. As well, merchant marines dieing at sea must represent about 30% of the AI in game loses right now, that system is broken at the moment. It couldn't invade Timbuktu right now if said place had a port and a few subs.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

stevehoos wrote:In my latest play through I would deduce that the AI is largely ineffective in most areas. I feel it does not build enough units (Japan, France, Russia, for sure) bottom line, besides having the aptitude to not use some of them at all. I played as France and easily held off a German attack which featured no offensive Air units to speak of. Then in my counter attack on Germany/ Berlin, about 8 squadrons of Stuka dive bombers sat on an extended coffee break (at Munchen) as my armored lines of antiquated units passed by; they did not attack once. It is just one play through, but I did not notice any change in aggressiveness in the AI air units. Oh and thanks for the adjustments and the new file, will keep testing versions if you make them.

If I can research no units, mass all my old units on the Maginot line, give Japan 4 billion dollars and all my techs for free- hence watch them do nothing- but lose to China, and take a nap while the game is playing and wake up winning, the AI is falling to make bridgehead right now, it is stuck in the sea floundering. It's almost as though the AI initiative for air usage is stuck on off besides the other issues. Really like the game, but my latest game offered 0 challenge. As well, merchant marines dieing at sea must represent about 30% of the AI in game loses right now, that system is broken at the moment. It couldn't invade Timbuktu right now if said place had a port and a few subs.
The problem is that Japan tries to send its army via merchant ships to Nanking and loses most of them. Playing USA, I can get Japan to win by building about 50-100 units for them and selling them to them. Other than that, I've never seen a "natural" AI Japan win, in the 50 or so games I've played.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”