A couple of questions from a new user

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Turbo823
Sergeant
Human: Yes

A couple of questions from a new user

Post by Turbo823 »

Hi,

I just bought Supreme Ruler 1936 from Gamersgate and I am enjoying the game. My first post here.

I am a bit confused about a couple of things in the game not covered in the manual. I am running the latest patch.

I am playing on VH, with normal economy and normal diplomacy as Italy in 1936 campaign. I conquered Ethiopia and selected the colony option. The issue I am having is with the building repair. First, the button for auto repair is lit all the time but I've pressed it anyway. Nothing however seems to be getting repaired and it is well over 1 year and I have a surplus of industrial goods and treasury. Is this bugged?

The second question I have is regarding the Soviet Union. They are losing a war with of all people, Romania. Romania has taken most of the Ukraine. This makes no sense and SU don't seem to be fighting any other war. Another surprise is Japan, they are losing the war badly in China and have lost a lot of terrain. I know this isn't a historical simulation but this is really a bit much. Is this a problem with balance?

Thank you,

Turbo823
Ozi
Lieutenant

Re: A couple of questions from a new user

Post by Ozi »

1) Auto repair Counts for Battlezones only. Refer to map filters for showing battlezones.

2) SU looses all wars, probably because it doesnt have enough troops in relation to ist size for the AI to cover everything (plus INF wont get anywhere in the SU as it goes by feet, not by rail)

Japan always looses everything in Korea

Most Problems are not a real Balance Problem but a fact of a most silly AI... the main Problem in the complete SR series...
Uglyr
Lieutenant

Post by Uglyr »

Ozi wrote:Most Problems are not a real Balance Problem but a fact of a most silly AI... the main Problem in the complete SR series...
Most problems IMHO is in Military Goods bottleneck. The war is won by those who stockpiled most before the war.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

USSR: My bet is they aren't actually losing to the Rumanians, but to Rumanian allies (e.g., Germany) who are sending troops to fight as well. I've seen that happen many times.

On VH Volitality settings, Japan will usually DoW the USSR, and then China soon after. This always results in Japan losing. If you play on Medium Vol settings, they won't fight until 1937 (by event); by then Japan has built more troops and is actually ready to fight China.

The root problem is that China in SR36 is extremely ahistorical. It is more like post-1949 People's Republic of China than the 1930's China that was divided into warring factions, etc. The result is that SR36 China is overpowered.
Turbo823
Sergeant

Post by Turbo823 »

Aragos wrote:USSR: My bet is they aren't actually losing to the Rumanians, but to Rumanian allies (e.g., Germany) who are sending troops to fight as well. I've seen that happen many times.

On VH Volitality settings, Japan will usually DoW the USSR, and then China soon after. This always results in Japan losing. If you play on Medium Vol settings, they won't fight until 1937 (by event); by then Japan has built more troops and is actually ready to fight China.

The root problem is that China in SR36 is extremely ahistorical. It is more like post-1949 People's Republic of China than the 1930's China that was divided into warring factions, etc. The result is that SR36 China is overpowered.
Interesting. Based on what I was reading about the difficulty levels, VH is supposed to be the best AI setting. I was wondering why Japan was getting destroyed and your explanation makes sense. This is a pretty poor balance situation I would think.

Is this something that the developers instead to fix?
Ozi
Lieutenant

Post by Ozi »

Aragos wrote: On VH Volitality settings, Japan will usually DoW the USSR, and then China soon after. This always results in Japan losing. If you play on Medium Vol settings, they won't fight until 1937 (by event); by then Japan has built more troops and is actually ready to fight China.
Unfortunatly thats not the fact. Japan looses against China only, too. Always...
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Ozi wrote:
Aragos wrote: On VH Volitality settings, Japan will usually DoW the USSR, and then China soon after. This always results in Japan losing. If you play on Medium Vol settings, they won't fight until 1937 (by event); by then Japan has built more troops and is actually ready to fight China.
Unfortunatly thats not the fact. Japan looses against China only, too. Always...
Hmmm. In my games, it is pretty much 50/50 on Medium or lower Volatility. If you want to guarantee Japanese victory, just do what I do as USA--sell them all my leg infantry, old artillery and other outmoded gear, or buy the plans for Axis gear and build/sell to them. You'll boost up your World diplomatic standing, make money, and (if playing anyone but China) set Japan up for a ripe conquest later. :)
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Turbo823 wrote:
Aragos wrote:USSR: My bet is they aren't actually losing to the Rumanians, but to Rumanian allies (e.g., Germany) who are sending troops to fight as well. I've seen that happen many times.

Interesting. Based on what I was reading about the difficulty levels, VH is supposed to be the best AI setting. I was wondering why Japan was getting destroyed and your explanation makes sense. This is a pretty poor balance situation I would think.

VH (Very Hard) works to give the AI a boost in processing power. In other words, if you set Military to Very Hard, the AI will do a better job of producing and using its units.

In Volatility settings, it means the world is a much more unstable place. The AI will fight itself right off the bat. It isn't abnormal at Very High to see AI USSR fighting Poland, Finland, all of the Baltic States, Japan and the UK at once, all before the end of 1937.
Turbo823
Sergeant

Post by Turbo823 »

Aragos wrote:
Turbo823 wrote:

VH (Very Hard) works to give the AI a boost in processing power. In other words, if you set Military to Very Hard, the AI will do a better job of producing and using its units.

In Volatility settings, it means the world is a much more unstable place. The AI will fight itself right off the bat. It isn't abnormal at Very High to see AI USSR fighting Poland, Finland, all of the Baltic States, Japan and the UK at once, all before the end of 1937.
Ah, thanks for explaining that. I've seen the volatity setting but wasn't sure what it did.
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

Ozi wrote:
i played around 20 games so far and i'd say its 50/50, japan win most of the time when north china is captured quickly (beijing area) and as soon as it makes a successfull landng in shanghaï or elsewhere. China only wins if it can halt japan invasion in the north for the first 6 months (japanese loosing units one by one) then its military is slowly building up, and china can remove japan from mainland.

I'm planning to balance all this in my mod, now that it is possible to set AI Hotspots based on condition. I want to balance AI problems with this ability, because AI will be able to send units (specified amount you choose by modding event) to some location, based on some prerequisite. For exemple landings in Shangai and elsewhere (Qingdao in Shandong and so on).
This will create enough second fronts to weaken China.
The same can be done for USSR-Germany and allies, or Germany and France to simulate Phoney war, Germany-Norway, Japan-USA in Pacific, and so on

The good think with that hotspot event is that you will be able to simulate real historic battles.
Turbo823
Sergeant

Post by Turbo823 »

vahadar wrote:
Ozi wrote:
i played around 20 games so far and i'd say its 50/50, japan win most of the time when north china is captured quickly (beijing area) and as soon as it makes a successfull landng in shanghaï or elsewhere. China only wins if it can halt japan invasion in the north for the first 6 months (japanese loosing units one by one) then its military is slowly building up, and china can remove japan from mainland.

I'm planning to balance all this in my mod, now that it is possible to set AI Hotspots based on condition. I want to balance AI problems with this ability, because AI will be able to send units (specified amount you choose by modding event) to some location, based on some prerequisite. For exemple landings in Shangai and elsewhere (Qingdao in Shandong and so on).
This will create enough second fronts to weaken China.
The same can be done for USSR-Germany and allies, or Germany and France to simulate Phoney war, Germany-Norway, Japan-USA in Pacific, and so on

The good think with that hotspot event is that you will be able to simulate real historic battles.
I would be interested in the mod and look forward to its release.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”