When playing a Superpower/Big nation...

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Garethw87
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

When playing a Superpower/Big nation...

Post by Garethw87 »

Something i've always wondered is... HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! :o

I mean, I have many, many many hours of SP 2020 in me but the biggest nation I ever managed, to manage was South Africa, even then I had to disband all of the military and build from scratch so I know what the hell was going on! haha.

So how do people use the USSR or GB or USA, GB especially in this game with all the damn colonies!

Thanks for any input!
Cdiplayer
Colonel

Re: When playing a Superpower/Big nation...

Post by Cdiplayer »

Garethw87 wrote:Something i've always wondered is... HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! :o

I mean, I have many, many many hours of SP 2020 in me but the biggest nation I ever managed, to manage was South Africa, even then I had to disband all of the military and build from scratch so I know what the hell was going on! haha.

So how do people use the USSR or GB or USA, GB especially in this game with all the damn colonies!

Thanks for any input!
I haven't even attempted Great Britain. Too many damn colonies all over the place lol. The US is really easy because you don't have any immediate enemies so you can take time to prepare. The USSR...its pretty much impossible to lose just because of how much land you have.
BlackSoulReaper
Warrant Officer

Post by BlackSoulReaper »

All I can say is give it a shot. Start small and work your way up. I would never try UK just because im not interested but I did manage to play a game with Germany holding of France, GB while invading poland. I tend to keep units positioned on the major roads, which makes it easier to control and manipulate my army. Won't lie though, my Airforce is always doing crazy crap whe nI can't keep up. Don't play on fast speed.
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

I've always wanted to play as Russia/USSR this is why I asked! I tend to load them, realise just how big it is, how many units they have and turn it off haha.

I guess Germany could be a good test one, right in the middle of Europe and no colonies to worry about!
Rhaycen
Major

Post by Rhaycen »

Germany is a good mid sized nation to play with, Russia, China & USSR are on a different scale all-together.

I enjoy playing as Germany, Japan and a few midsized nations .. or a smaller nations like the Netherlands, Bulgaria etc.etc. the crazy huge nations are usually a bit too much for me to control personally.
foothill
Sergeant

Post by foothill »

Playing a big nation can be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. For me, I love to micro-manage this game so building up the USA or the USSR takes a while (probably something to do with the need to reorganize everything). Not to mention, I disable the AI on everything and I mean everything. I may not be able to manage the economy as well as the AI, but at least I can rest assured that those 500 million barrels I just amassed won't be sold off while I'm not looking. My favorite part to micro-manage is the military. The AI just can't handle what a human can throw at them as effectively as it handles the other AIs. The team at Battlegoat has done wonder's for the AI (removing that pesky destack bug for one) but I can still conquer China in just 3 months as Japan or rampage through Africa and France with Italy. The only time the AI can push back my lines is when it gets lucky...like when some threshold is crossed and the AI unleashes all of its reserves sending 6 concentrated doomstacks of artillery against my lines...Fall Back...bomb the artillery into dust from the air...regroup...keep pressing on. The only real drawback to micro-managing the military is that I must put the speed on the slowest setting when things get hectic and pause a lot to issue orders which makes the game take much, much longer to play.

Managing a large empire such as Brittan is great. With all those colonies, you can leverage the extra money from your economy to improve your colonies. The great thing about colonies is that they send you their excess production. Specialize your colonies and watch the goods flood in. Since there really isn't a way in this game to simulate the Battle in the Atlantic, yet, you'll never miss a shipment of goods.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I nearly always play the USA. I like the ability to shape what kind of military and economy I have, and if the USA is doing well, it has a massive impact on the global economy. Few countries can influence the war like the USA does--years before.

When I'm feeling evil, I sell units to the Axis. Little hint--if Japan conquers China, when the USA-Japan fight starts, any land you reconquer will not spawn Partisans. The USA wasn't at war with China :). Easy way to get a lot of population and land without Partisan problems, and you stay a 'good guy' with the UN :)

Also, unlike many games, playing a smaller country is more challenging than a large one. The USA, UK, Germany, etc. have more room to make mistakes in building, etc. As Peru or Cuba, you build the wrong factory and it sets you back a year.
Garethw87
Warrant Officer

Post by Garethw87 »

Aragos wrote: Also, unlike many games, playing a smaller country is more challenging than a large one. The USA, UK, Germany, etc. have more room to make mistakes in building, etc. As Peru or Cuba, you build the wrong factory and it sets you back a year.
Good way to look at it. I usually end up bankrupt when I try playing as Latvia [_]O

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”