Game Update/Patch 8.0.102

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

stevehoos
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Re: Game Update/Patch 8.0.102

Post by stevehoos »

Thanks BG, good job with the tips, helped me in a few areas which were shady. So cool to be part of a forum where the devs actually listen to what you comment about! :-)
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

question will the buildings auto repair in the next update?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The auto repair of captured buildings defaults off and that is what it is designed to be. Players can toggle the on/off of auto repair on a location basis or by Battle Zone. AI regions or ministers with the appropriate priorities will consider reactivating repairs if they have enough money and IGs. The controls may improve again for the next update but there is no plan to modify the rule.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Is autorepair by theater a possibility?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We are investigating that option.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

... thank you for all your tries to improve the game engine !

Still what bothers me since the first SR game is, that after a war it isn't possible to have a proper country borders map ...
it always ends in a mess ...

For diplomacy there should be a possibility to really TRADE MAP HEXES ...

I am playing Austria since 1936 and managed to survive and waited for my chance to build once again the Austro Hungarian Empire, but now after Italy/Germany/Hungary invaded the Balcan there is a real mess in that region ...
I really would need a diplomatic possibility to exchange/trade and even give away single HEXES ...

Even it isn't realistic, but how the map looks now after some wars, it is even more unrealistic !

COULD YOU IMAGINE some Diplomatic possibilities, really would need it !
Thank you

PS: Also invaded Italy and annexed them, but even when there will be an option to form Italy once again ... I WANT TO KEEP SOME HEXES , south tyrol , Triest and son on ... that should also be possible ! THX
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

The question of hex trading is a long and sticky issue. The problem is you really end up with only a few possibilities when considering this feature:

1) Make the AI easy to trade hexes with, in which case it can be exploited in thousands of ways by players (such as cutting off access to an AI regions bases from its supply routes, etc).

2) Make the AI hard to to trade hexes with, in which case the feature is of very limited use.

3) Create a set of rules for the AI on hex trading that will end up being hard to understand, hard to explain, and to most players will appear arbitrary and confusing.

None of these is a good solution game-wise. While it is true that there have been a few famous cases in history of land trading like this (for example, Romania ceding land to the Soviets, etc), in general such actions were uncommon. Combined with the fact that hex trading ("land tagging") is a very complex/confusing user interface to begin with, it makes this feature a grognard-type element. Not that we don't love our grognards, of course...

We have looked at other ways to possible clean up the "mess" of land distribution when multiple regions are involved in battles, but single hex trading is a different ball of wax entirely.
Von Thoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Von Thoma »

George Geczy wrote:The question of hex trading is a long and sticky issue. The problem is you really end up with only a few possibilities when considering this feature:

1) Make the AI easy to trade hexes with, in which case it can be exploited in thousands of ways by players (such as cutting off access to an AI regions bases from its supply routes, etc).

2) Make the AI hard to to trade hexes with, in which case the feature is of very limited use.

3) Create a set of rules for the AI on hex trading that will end up being hard to understand, hard to explain, and to most players will appear arbitrary and confusing.

None of these is a good solution game-wise. While it is true that there have been a few famous cases in history of land trading like this (for example, Romania ceding land to the Soviets, etc), in general such actions were uncommon. Combined with the fact that hex trading ("land tagging") is a very complex/confusing user interface to begin with, it makes this feature a grognard-type element. Not that we don't love our grognards, of course...

We have looked at other ways to possible clean up the "mess" of land distribution when multiple regions are involved in battles, but single hex trading is a different ball of wax entirely.
Thanks for the answer ... I know it isn't easy

but maybe start easy ... better than nothing

1.) Give back hexes you own from another country ... first implementation only ALL you own ... NO TRADING ... so you have to annex them first
That trade should also (!!!) be possible with EXILE and DEAD countries (biggest city is the capital or if former capital is included, that is chosen )
AI should only do it if they are already allied with that country

2.) Request for your own hexes if you are already ALLIED with the other country

So with that we have a chance to form with diplomacy a proper map ...

I have now conquered many small countries , but only parts of it ... some I set free but conquered later more parts from them, which I now own but want to give that hexes back to them !

Second STEP would be ...
3.) I DON't give all back :-) ... maybe show up a map where I could click on ANY HEX I want to KEEP or GIVE AWAY ...

The chance to exploit this is smaller AS I HAVE TO OWN THAT HEXES and they must belong to the other country and I have to be ALLIED to him ...
SO NO TRADING for money or anything ... only to make your ALLY stronger !

and I could help the ALLY , that I built something there before I will give it back

THAT WOULD HELP A LOT and you have a task after WAR ...
Uglyr
Lieutenant

Post by Uglyr »

I'd suggest not trading but force give up land (like when undersupplied at war) under certain conditions. Country A will give a territiory T to countries B or C if:
1. T is completely surrounded by B or C
2. T has no tiles loyal to A
3. T has no access to sea
4. A, B and C are not at war (or maybe A has alliance with them)
5. T is less than 25 hexes large or have no supply source in it
6. If T surrounded only by B it's given to B as a whole.
7. If surrounded by B and C and T loyal to B it goes to B. If T not loyal to B and C then each tile go to country with more bordering tiles. If number of bordering tiles are equal - to the one with better relations.
moin
Sergeant

Post by moin »

Where will i get this patch???
James_Manring
Corporal

Post by James_Manring »

I can understand limitation on trading of hexes, but in the case presented of reforming the Austrian Empire by force you are really limiting a player from dictating his borders even though he has the power and has accomplished the conqest necessary to create those borders.

As a player I want to be able to create puppets out of the territory that I own and decide which territory I grant to those puppets. That does not require any complicated AI process but does allow the player much more control and freedom of choice over what they already own. For instance in my Austria game, I would really like to be able to make Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan into puppets as well as transfer some of my USSR core territory to them. I have a peace deal with the Soviets just short of the Urals and really wouldn't want to control all that territory myself.

The next logical addition would be to add border negotiation as part of peace deals. That would require an AI process, but should allow for situations such as the one above where a player wants to restore the borders in Northern Italy being able to negotiate for it once they have pushed far enough in for Italy to logically capitulate to that demand. For instance, once Rome and Naples have been conquered they would agree to a cease fire and ceding Northern Italy.

Neither of those require much complex explanation to the player. If they have not conquered enough territory to get the enemy to agree to give up what they want there should be a clear indication how much progress has been made toward that agreement.
moin
Sergeant

Post by moin »

James_Manring wrote:I can understand limitation on trading of hexes, but in the case presented of reforming the Austrian Empire by force you are really limiting a player from dictating his borders even though he has the power and has accomplished the conqest necessary to create those borders.

As a player I want to be able to create puppets out of the territory that I own and decide which territory I grant to those puppets. That does not require any complicated AI process but does allow the player much more control and freedom of choice over what they already own. For instance in my Austria game, I would really like to be able to make Belarus, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijan into puppets as well as transfer some of my USSR core territory to them. I have a peace deal with the Soviets just short of the Urals and really wouldn't want to control all that territory myself.

The next logical addition would be to add border negotiation as part of peace deals. That would require an AI process, but should allow for situations such as the one above where a player wants to restore the borders in Northern Italy being able to negotiate for it once they have pushed far enough in for Italy to logically capitulate to that demand. For instance, once Rome and Naples have been conquered they would agree to a cease fire and ceding Northern Italy.

Neither of those require much complex explanation to the player. If they have not conquered enough territory to get the enemy to agree to give up what they want there should be a clear indication how much progress has been made toward that agreement.
Just like in HOI series SR series too should look into this matter.......Puppet nations were part and parcel of world war 2 and to make the game more realistic the core team should look into this matter. Also we can't liberate an annexed nation in SR1936 which is also frustrating.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

moin wrote:Where will i get this patch???
If you connect to Steam it will be applied automatically.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GreenGoblin
Brigadier Gen.

Post by GreenGoblin »

barkhauer wrote:Is autorepair by theater a possibility?
This would be much appreciated.
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

perhaps annexing should not be allowed for the AI at all..it would make most wars a little more "realistic"

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”