Stop units from embarking/trapped units?

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

james1939
Corporal
Human: Yes

Stop units from embarking/trapped units?

Post by james1939 »

Before I get going on a couple very annoying things, I'd like to say the game's a lot of fun and I enjoy playing it. Needs some tweaks and bug fixes etc obviously but I like this game a lot.

With that said, is there any way to issue some kind of blanket order stopping units from embarking? I'm fighting the USSR and am probably 3000 miles deep into their territory around Astrakhan and Murmansk. One of the several problems my army is experiencing is a steady bleeding of units that keep for some damned reason embarking at Astrakhan and Murmansk, and (in the north) getting destroyed by Soviet naval units in the area and (in the south) futzing around on the Astrakhan river forever.

I have roughly 20 panzers/infantry seemingly trapped in merchant marines on the Astrakhan river. They just will not disembark, no matter what I've tried. The same is true in the north, and it's to a point if a unit embarks (when I did not order it to - I suspect they're trying to conquer Soviet sea territory in the north which is pointless and annoying) I just write off the unit. I've got 2000 units fighting in Russia alone and I really do not want to have to babysit every one. So if there is a way to simply stop all my units from embarking unless explicitly ordered to do so, that'd be great. (Also, if someone could tell me how to disembark the bloody things that'd be great too. I've tried forcing them to unload in a group, individually, at this location and that location, and they just. Will. Not. Do. It.)

Second question, what causes units to become trapped? For the past six months I've had about 25 panzer units trapped on the Crimean peninsula between Kerch and Anapa. They're just sitting on the bridge and nothing I've tried will dislodge them. I tried making sure they had supplies, building roads and rails over the waterway, giving them orders this way and that way - they just will not move. So there's another corps I've had to pretty much write off.

Third, I think I remember reading this somewhere, but there's not a whole lot you can do about partisans and guerrillas, right? If you conquer a territory, they're pretty much going to appear and there's not a lot you can do about it. Does supply availability decrease their frequency? What are some of the ways you can raise loyalty of territory? Repairing everything and increasing social spending and raising domestic approval doesn't seem to do much to decrease partisan attacks in Poland, the USSR and England.

Fourth, is there some kind of issue with repairing naval units? I've had a severely damaged Nurnberg cruiser in the English Channel for the past two years that keeps going back and forth between two hexes. There are plenty of sea piers nearby and it will not obey orders to repair. Other naval units do the same thing, but this is the most striking example.
vahadar
Colonel

Re: Stop units from embarking/trapped units?

Post by vahadar »

It is probably a supply issue. For those units that keep going to the sea check what is their supply level. If zero they will always try to return to base to reload supplies. And if going by sea means shorter path they will go by sea. They will keep going even if their supply level is back to normal from the moment they were retreating to get supplies. This is one of the biggest issue for me in game, and one of the reason i never use auto AI for units.

For you tanks stuck on the bridge it might be the same, since this isnt a land hex but an ocean hex with a railroad on it. Supplies cant reach ocean hex from land. The only way to unstick your units would be to bring a transport ship with cargo to that hex so it will give them supplies. Planes cant bring supplies over an ocean hex so only a ship will do the trick. It was working in SR2020 for that bridge over the Channel between France and England that was also an ocean hex. Units stuck there would be resupplied by nearby cargo ships.

About partisan its probably AI targeting your country to support them, since you are yourself able to do that for other countries.

for ships damaged i dont have an answer :)
james1939
Corporal

Post by james1939 »

It is probably a supply issue. For those units that keep going to the sea check what is their supply level. If zero they will always try to return to base to reload supplies.
That would make sense, and that's what I would assume it is too, but the problem with that is, regardless of what unit I look at or when, the supply level ALWAYS reads 0%. It would even read 0% before any wars when I had a mountain of military supplies and nothing to do with them at that moment. Right now I have units stationed next to Berlin who have the same supply level as units 3,500 miles away in the middle of the Siberian steppe 30 hexes away from a road or rail hex.

Do most people do their supplying manually or automatically? Because I'll be honest, the thought of making sure 2000+ units are adequately supplied myself would singlehandedly make me quit the game. I'm willing to make sure military goods are available and build supply depots and roads and rails so that units can be kept supplied, but I absolutely draw the line at manually directing Ju52s and supply trucks myself to thousands of units. And some of what I've read seems to indicate people do this on a regular basis. Is this what's expected of a player? Because I'm really hoping it isn't.
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

to correct my post above, units are going back to base if after a fight they have 0 combat time capacity (means no ammo, because of no supply).

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”