Carrier aircraft too weak.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Aragos
General

Re: Carrier aircraft too weak.

Post by Aragos »

In general, I don't use CVs like they did historically. Aircraft in SR36 lack both sufficient surface attack/anti-ship firepower (and for patrol aircraft, anti-sub as well) to match what they did historically.

Normally, I'll use my carrier air as portable scouts or for fighter cover, for surface and subs. If playing the USA, once I get a foothold in the far east or Europe, I'll send the CVs back into reserves and sea transport the aircraft to the theater, so they can operate off land bases.
Von Bismarck
Captain
Human: Yes

Post by Von Bismarck »

I realize the point of this thread is to emphasize the inability of players and the ai to use CV's and CV based aircraft because of low attack values etc. etc., but I am stubborn enough to want to use them anyways. My issue is playing as Germany in a 8.1.7 sandbox game, well into the 1960's, having researched nearly every futuristic tech available, I am noticing that there are not any real options for carrier based aircraft. Previously, in similar games, there was a world-wide origin type of F-18 (Naval Alpha Jet) or something. In this latest version, the only options I have are the Stuka B, the Taifun UAV (Bomber), or the Whip (Fighter) for carrier based aircraft. None of which are optimal choices, not when my regular air force is flying Tornados and Typhoons. I know the later years are not the priority for the development team, but I was hoping to find some a-historic type of aircraft for this era.

Before anyone says it, I can't buy or trade for a foreign design primarily because foreign tech research is way behind if not stopped altogether (bankrupted economies) by this time.

Can I get a little love from the dev's.? It would be nice to see a researchable, carrier based, late era Euro-fighter/bomber in the next update. A Nuclear era CV capable of carrying more than 3 squadrons would be a welcome edition as well. :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Von Bismarck wrote:...It would be nice to see a researchable, carrier based, late era Euro-fighter/bomber in the next update. A Nuclear era CV capable of carrying more than 3 squadrons would be a welcome edition as well. :wink:
Noted.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

If your looking for stuff based in reality, there has been some proposals both for a navalized version of the Swedish Griphen (I think its called Sea Griphen NG or something) and some paper concept drawings for a navalized Eurofighter that didn't go anywhere and I don't believe is marketed anymore. That would cover the generation 4.5 gap in European carrier aircraft.

You could also get away with making a F-4 Phantom navalized variant available for European countries as well. (TBH, I'm not sure if the aircraft is researchable by any of the European countries that originally operated it.)

Before that, there is a generation gap with Gen 2 aircraft since most European countries only operated F-86's and F-104's. ( Its a stretch, but there was a navalized variant that entered production with the US Navy that could be used.) (I think it was the FJ-2/3)

For WWII purposes, the ME109T should be created/added since that was the planned aviation component for the Graf Zeppelin. ( It would have the same stats as the ME109E(Not sure if in game or not however) In addition the FI 167 should be added as a bi-plane torpedo bomber to round out the proposed WWII lineup. If you wanted to get into some weird alternate fantasy land, you could theoretically add a few Japanese carrier aircraft available for Germany with slightly improved defensive and performance stats (The Germans had much better avionic, and engine systems, and I'm sure would sacrifice a little range to put in self sealing fuel tanks and some armor plating on the cockpit) to simulate technology transfers that could have been available for Germany.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”