Surface Ship Classes

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

mattpilot
Lt. Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: Surface Ship Classes

Post by mattpilot »

Zuikaku wrote:
Kellick wrote:Ok naysayers, think about these questions:
Are most of the units really different enough from each other to justify their existence in the game, other than the fact that they exist IRL?
Do a lot of the units even have any ability to serve their intended RL function in the game because of the game engine limitations?
Even the units that are differentiated enough and where the game engine models their function, does the AI have the ability to handle them properly?
How many of you use units from ALL classes, let alone a variety of said units?
But I do not want to play chess.... HUH
what?

So.. are you playing checkers?

Consider:

-M15/16 Autokanone 15cm
-M15/16 Autokanone 152mm towed

Besides me wasting 5 minutes comparing these 2 units to make sure i didn't overlook anything, what is the point of having 2 IDENTICAL UNITS in teh game (for the same country nonetheless).

The only difference is the name ...ooOOoOOoO so much flavor added.

And no, this is not a single occurance. So many units in the game that are practically identical, if not exactly identical.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Zuikaku wrote:Consider:

-M15/16 Autokanone 15cm
-M15/16 Autokanone 152mm towed
I like variety of units. Someone don't. OK. Switch the minister ON and it will handle it...
Zuikaku wrote:Besides me wasting 5 minutes comparing these 2 units to make sure i didn't overlook anything, what is the point of having 2 IDENTICAL UNITS in teh game (for the same country nonetheless).
Making me happy... and I'm sure I'm not the only one :D
Zuikaku wrote:The only difference is the name ...ooOOoOOoO so much flavor added.

And no, this is not a single occurance. So many units in the game that are practically identical, if not exactly identical.
So, why someone just don't mod the database and kick out 95% of units out to make those who wants simplicity happy?
I want rich database and thousands of units.

And selective unit trade :D
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not sure if anyone noticed, we have begun to implement this change. Some of the ships have been shuffled around to the different classes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Not sure if anyone noticed, we have begun to implement this change. Some of the ships have been shuffled around to the different classes.
Any luck with production issues?
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That wasn't part of this update.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Though I haven't had a chance to say much in this thread, I wanted to mention that I have read the comments and suggestions, and have made many notes into our existing (and new) tasks/wishlists (both from this thread and others like it).

Improvements in Naval AI has been identified as one of the major priorities for our AI work, and so we will be giving it some attention before release. It's hard to give specifics right now because many things we attempt don't work out to get in the game (either because they can easily be exploited or they are too predictable or they are not performance-friendly or etc etc), but there will be work in this area.

I also support the idea of making our game files more mod-friendly, and releasing more modding tools. We may not be able to accomplish this before our "official release", but this is something we will definitely work on for our post-release updates.

-- George.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

George Geczy wrote:Though I haven't had a chance to say much in this thread, I wanted to mention that I have read the comments and suggestions, and have made many notes into our existing (and new) tasks/wishlists (both from this thread and others like it).

Improvements in Naval AI has been identified as one of the major priorities for our AI work, and so we will be giving it some attention before release. It's hard to give specifics right now because many things we attempt don't work out to get in the game (either because they can easily be exploited or they are too predictable or they are not performance-friendly or etc etc), but there will be work in this area.

I also support the idea of making our game files more mod-friendly, and releasing more modding tools. We may not be able to accomplish this before our "official release", but this is something we will definitely work on for our post-release updates.

-- George.
Nice to hear, don't forget to make new meshes part of making it mod friendly (I might actually have some by release :) ). I hope you manage to get the naval AI sorted out as its probably the part of the game which I find most lacking at the moment.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Adm Richardson
Corporal

Post by Adm Richardson »

I understand the complexities of introducing new object code to programmes and especially linking it up to the AI of different sandboxed countries, but I still do not understand why SR1936 has not separated navy units like it has done with land or aircraft units. We would all deplore the bunching up of all infantry types under one or two classifications.

I would like to see some alignment to their proper classifications such as:

CV, CVLs and CVEs as Carriers (CV)
BB and BC as Battleships (BB)
CA and CL as Cruisers (CA)
DD and DE as Destroyers (DD)
All the rest I would describe as Patrol Craft (PC)
Ozi
Lieutenant

Post by Ozi »

Adm Richardson wrote:

I second that. This is the only classification that makes sense for me, not at last because it is historically correct. I dont build anything below DD anyway...
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Ozi wrote:
Adm Richardson wrote:

I second that. This is the only classification that makes sense for me, not at last because it is historically correct. I dont build anything below DD anyway...
The problem is this lumps a large amount of modern stuff into the PC category. The best bet would be to add a separate DE/FRG/COV category in addition to what is above.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”