Increasing manpower.

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Dan11311
Corporal
Human: Yes

Increasing manpower.

Post by Dan11311 »

Does anyone have any ideas of how to increase how much manpower you get per day using the increase reserve personnel feature? It's slow building an army as Canada and Canada had one million people in or involved with the military in WW2. I'm trying to get at least 500, 000 to one million men in total force numbers.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Increasing manpower.

Post by Balthagor »

This has been a common comment with each title however I don't think anyone has ever challenged the rate that we use. Is there concern that our rate of raising reserves from the population at large is too low or is this a realistic challenge for the player? I'm not sure I have an opinion on this issue.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Dan11311
Corporal

Post by Dan11311 »

Balthagor wrote:This has been a common comment with each title however I don't think anyone has ever challenged the rate that we use. Is there concern that our rate of raising reserves from the population at large is too low or is this a realistic challenge for the player? I'm not sure I have an opinion on this issue.
It's very frustrating raising an army as Canada. I'm almost into 1940 on my current campaign and I have only managed to get my total force numbers to about 160, 000 troops. It seems too low for a game focused mainly on total war. Have you considered adding a building like a recruiting center? A building that increases the amount of reserve personnel you get in a day?

I like the Supreme Ruler games but the one thing that kills playing as a small nation seems to be the inability to raise a sizeable force.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Well, there needs to be a limit. You can't put your entire population into your military. The initial values currently are representative of what was mobilized in '36.

I think we have it "accurate, realistic", but perhaps we could add a lobby option that would balance it more to "fun". But, we need to hear about what are considered reasonable rates first.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

perhaps tie in the DAR and MAR ? If the Gov't is liked and the live in the military is good, more people are willing to join.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

mattpilot wrote:..more people are willing to join.
Up to what point? At what rate?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

Balthagor wrote:
mattpilot wrote:..more people are willing to join.
Up to what point? At what rate?
welp.... as for "maximum" i'd say "as much as the country can pay for". :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... _personnel

North Korea seems to have 40% of their population as reserves. Thats gotta be every male above the age of 10 ;-)

But i'm assuming the "reserves" ingame corresponds to the "active" on that wiki chart, no? Either way, doesn't matter ... The max should be what a country can pay to maintain. GDP should play a roll here... after all, soldiers in wealthy nations get paid more, too...

As for the rate of increase... i dunno - dont really see a problem with current rate, so i can't really offer a suggestion. Of course i wouldn't mind a 'spike' if a nation is declared war upon (have that 'nationalism' kick in).
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

I've written a couple of military history books, so had to do a lot of baseline research for available military manpower: civilian population, at least for the American Civil War era.

The basic number I used was male, available for military service (e.g., not handicapped or unable to serve--such as slaves in the American South), and between the ages of 16 and 50.

The percentage for the US during the Civil War was around 28% of the total population.

Therefore, if the population of Canada in 1940 is 11,382,000 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population ... da_by_year), that would make a maximum available manpower (which in SR terms would mean you max out military pay to increase reserves, etc.) 3,186,960. That would be a complete (e.g., Confederacy during 1864-65 of the American Civil War, or Japan in 1945) mobilization of all available manpower for the military. I'd expect at that level you'd have major shortages of workers in factories, etc.

In the Industrial Era, Japan was probably the most mobilized country in WWII. It's 1945 population was 71,998,104 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... rial_Japan). Its military numbered, in August 1945, Japanese military strength was 4,933,000 (http://www.japanww2.com/wt19.htm). This is %6.85 of their population.

I think, in this era, the maximum available for any power should be an even 7%--this would account on the "high side" for players. Past that point, the economies would quit functioning completely.

Using the Canada example above, that would mean the max that Canada could mobilize (have in reserves) in 1940 would be 796,740. As the population increased or decreased, this would change.

Lastly, a substantial number of US citizens in 1939-40 went to Canada to join the Canadian military and fight (my great uncle was a private in the Scottish Essex and was from Michigan in the US). It would be accurate/historical to add up to 1% greater mobilization numbers to account for foreign enlistees, etc. (or you could base it on Sphere partners--if a country is blue or red, you get a bonus if you are sphere leader).

I hope that helps.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So is the the OP's goal realistic? And is it achievable in our current system?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

Not sure how this applies to 1936..but in SRCW, conquering either China or India (or eventually, both) was always crucial in order to have the proper workforce/reserve force to dominate the world....both economically and militarily...
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:So is the the OP's goal realistic? And is it achievable in our current system?
Doubtful. I haven't tested it but in my experience that kind of build up in that short of an amount of time even in the BEST case scenario isn't possible with the current system. If this thread is still going I'll give it a test on tuesday. (I'll start a No units game and just let it run and see how long it takes me to hit 1million reserves as canada.. im thinking the late 40s or early 50s without getting a boost to manpower via conquering) No units will allow me to maximize social spending and military salaries to present a best case scenario. (will also prevent me from getting any killed via combat lol)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Jakt80
Lieutenant

Post by Jakt80 »

By the war's end, over 1 million citizens (1.1 million according to wikipedia) would serve in military uniform, and Canada would possess the fourth-largest air force and third-largest naval surface fleet in the world. (Stacey, C.P. History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War) So it should (imho) be possible, because it was done irl. But it will be interesting to see what Fistalis comes up with, especially total numbers by 1945.
deadmeat1471
Warrant Officer

Post by deadmeat1471 »

I don't get what the issue with manpower is, i've never run out of mans? or been prevented making units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I look forward to more feedback on this, we seem to have clear targets in mind.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I don't see a minister priority to increase reserves, maybe Ive overlooked it. IIRC there was a minister priority for increasing reserves in SR2020.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”