Steam Early Access Annoucement

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

George Geczy
General

Steam Early Access Annoucement

Post by George Geczy »

BattleGoat Studios is pleased to announce that Supreme Ruler 1936 is available immediately through Steam Early Access Beta !

We're very excited about working with our fans and supporters to make Supreme Ruler 1936 the best game possible. We look forward to the feedback, comments, and suggestions of players as you try out our Beta version, and join us as we continue to add new features, new content, and other updates.

The current version is a beta release that is missing some features, content, and graphical updates, and other elements are in-progress or 'under construction'. The following list discusses some of the significant areas of the game that will be changing over the coming weeks:

- Content: We have shipped the beta with one Campaign (Italy), and one Sandbox Map (1936). We will be adding a number of Campaigns, Sandbox Maps, and Scenarios over the next few weeks.
- Historical Elements: Historical events and elements are still being developed and added to the Campaign and Sandbox maps.
- Tutorials: Yes, we will have in-game tutorials, but they are still in development.
- Objectives: The new 'Objectives System' can be seen as part of the Italy Campaign. This is an area we will be expanding upon in Campaign and Scenario Maps.
- Visuals: Significant visual updates are in development. This includes improved map graphics, coastlines/rivers, better map overlays (fog of war etc), improved unit effects, improved unit appearance including regional markings, and more.
- Weather: Weather will be an element of the final game, it is not present in this build.
- Balancing: Map balance, resources, unit specs, tech effects, and other elements are not consistent and are in constant development.
- Diplomacy and Relationships: Improvements to the Axis/Allies mechanic, plus better balancing of diplomatic relationships.
- AI and Ministers: Significant improvements are planned for AI and Minister elements.
- Gameplay Elements: Unit Hierarchy, Transport elements (ferry range, land, rail) are still being designed.
- GUI: Interface elements such as 'Map Modes', Missile/rocket support, and many other sections are in development.
- Localizations: Currently we are shipping only English, but localizations into other languages are planned.
- Music/Sound: The new main title track has been included into the game already, but other region specific tracks have yet to be added to the build. Also additional sound effects are still being developed and will be added soon.
- Steam Features: We are working on support for Achievements, Matchmaking, Workshop, and Steam Cloud.

There's lots of features and content to talk about, so feel free to start new threads under Development or General Discussion .

-- The BattleGoat Team
SGTscuba
General

Re: Steam Early Access Annoucement

Post by SGTscuba »

Love you guys, just got myself a few copies for me and my mates. Gotta get my own stuff sorted out now ready for release :D
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
number47
General
Human: Yes

Post by number47 »

Wish you guys best of luck! I bought it cause I'm a "mindless fan" ( :D ) but at that price for early release, I wouldn't count on many new players joining the series...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

number47 wrote:Wish you guys best of luck! I bought it cause I'm a "mindless fan" ( :D ) but at that price for early release, I wouldn't count on many new players joining the series...
Thanks for being mindless... um, I mean, thanks for being a fan :) !

We had some long discussions on pricing here at the studio. The release price will be $39.99, which is in line with other strategy titles (both indie and major title). The early access price of $29.99 gives a 25% discount off this.

Because Early Access is a form of "pre order" and gets everyone the full game at the end, it's a combination of pre-order discount plus the beta.

It goes without saying that a grand strategy game like SR1936 takes a lot of development and such things cost money (developers don't run on coffee alone), so we have to weigh a bunch of elements between the pre-orders, the beta, and funding the project.

If new players want to "dip a toe" into the world of Supreme Ruler, there is SR2020 available at under $10 on Steam. We certainly understand that some fans or potential fans will want to wait until final release for a lot of reasons... the early access just gives an additional option to buy and give feedback before the final game is nailed down.

-- George.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I also want to be "mindless" and preorder, but... can I get the non-steam version of the game after it becomes gold?
Please teach AI everything!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:Wish you guys best of luck! I bought it cause I'm a "mindless fan" ( :D ) but at that price for early release, I wouldn't count on many new players joining the series...
Check the credits.. it was well worth your purchase.. you now have a game with you in the credits :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

It's not the final product, the credits could change ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:It's not the final product, the credits could change ;)
:lol:
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Zuikaku wrote:I also want to be "mindless" and preorder, but... can I get the non-steam version of the game after it becomes gold?
At this exact stage we haven't made the final decisions on how the Steam and Non-Steam versions will fit together exactly. We had a clearer plan for this when we were hoping to be funded through kickstarter, but we've had to scale back our ideas a little bit. So right now we are not exactly sure when/where/how a non-steam version will be available.

We will try to have an official answer to this question within a week or two.

-- George.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

derp... count me as mindless aswell ;-)
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

George Geczy wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:I also want to be "mindless" and preorder, but... can I get the non-steam version of the game after it becomes gold?
At this exact stage we haven't made the final decisions on how the Steam and Non-Steam versions will fit together exactly. We had a clearer plan for this when we were hoping to be funded through kickstarter, but we've had to scale back our ideas a little bit. So right now we are not exactly sure when/where/how a non-steam version will be available.

We will try to have an official answer to this question within a week or two.

-- George.
just an FYI when I paid via paypal the invoice said steam key + retail copy. So you may wanna fix that or make it absolutely clear that a non steam version is not guaranteed before ppl are all like "where the hell is my retail copy you bastards"

It may be semantics.. and the retail copy may be the steam version.. but at first glance it seems as if they are 2 seperate things. (yes the early access and the finished game are 2 different things but just pointing it out)
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

As an modder I like that you can copy the game into multiply directories and launch from there and can run the game in multply windows for cache puposes(usually doníng ~4 at once). So tying the game to steam could tie my hands until I get money for a 'retail' version after release. You can only launch one game at a time in steam so... :(
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
mikeownage
Colonel

Post by mikeownage »

I pre-ordered and am enjoying the beta so far looking forward to what is to come!
number47
General

Post by number47 »

George Geczy wrote:Thanks for being mindless... um, I mean, thanks for being a fan :) !
You are welcome!

George Geczy wrote:It goes without saying that a grand strategy game like SR1936 takes a lot of development and such things cost money (developers don't run on coffee alone), so we have to weigh a bunch of elements between the pre-orders, the beta, and funding the project.

-- George.
I'm well aware that you guys unfortunately don't run on coffee alone ( :cry: ) but what I meant to imply is that the price will probably deter new players or players unfamiliar with the series. But hopefully, there is enough of us mindless fans that will do our best to help you deliver the best possible game ever so the newcomers will simply be amazed with the final product and buy buy buy buy till they drop :D

number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:
Check the credits.. it was well worth your purchase.. you now have a game with you in the credits :P
It seams I made it "with the buzzer" (basketball jargon) :lol:
Balthagor wrote:It's not the final product, the credits could change
Does that mean I shouldn't bother you with questions about Zuikaku's unit trade crusade? :D

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”