PLEASE DO SOMETHING AGAINST that INDIVIDUAL 7 Units per hex

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

PLEASE DO SOMETHING AGAINST that INDIVIDUAL 7 Units per hex

Post by Vonthoma »

... I bought all games from Battlegoats

BUT WHAT I REALLY HATE is that 7 Units chaos, it is really a mess ... Special for the AI , which couldn't handle it !

IT could be solved very easy ...

- Units could only be moved if they have a GENERAL (Air, Sea and Land)
- You could have as many Generals as you like
- Only one General typ (but Air and Land and Sea is possible, or any combination) is ALLOWED per HEX
. you could assign 1-7 Units to a General (amount depends at the techs you have developed)
- you could gain battle improvments with the Variation of the Units
- there are Special Generals (Historic, upgraded ...) who even give more improvments to the Units
- THEY NEVER SPLIT
- you could give orders, which Units are on the front (defend, attack, dig in ...) and which only support on that hex ...

and so on !

atm I only try that my 7 Unit stacks stay together ...
and my 7 unit supply trucks, find their way to the other 7 unit stacks ,,,
even I manage that there are everywhere 7 unit stacks ...

THE AI IS **... UP with that task and every battle turns out into 20 and more Units retreating and attacking and driving around ...
ANTS ARE EVERYWHERE !

PLEASE STOP THAT !
Thank you
Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Re: PLEASE DO SOMETHING AGAINST that INDIVIDUAL 7 Units per

Post by Zuikaku »

They have probably done something about that, cause in WW2 scope of battles it would be impossible to control units in the way they are controlled now....
Please teach AI everything!
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Just to try to understand your comment... is the thing you are most concerned about is keeping your formations together? Ie moving 7-unit stacks and not having them spread out or get separated?

Or is it the 7-unit limit itself?
Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Vonthoma »

... hi thanks for your interest: the first.
my concerns are that they should STAY TOGETHER AT ALL COST and that it makes sense which Units I have on that hex ... (bonuses, Support ...)
so that the Battlegroups are more like some small "armies" ...

but if I am true, I would even prefer only 1 unit per hex

Thx
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

The thing is the land units in this game are battalions, and 7 battalions isn't an army; it's a brigade.
The limit works well for the game, WWII brigades would be smaller so you could get 2 per hex, a fully reinforced modern brigade combat team 7 units works well for 2020.

I think it's pretty clear we all want a HOI-ish type hierarchy, but everyone has their own ideas how it should be implemented.

I'd be happy with the ability to define the battlegroups at each level and have the AI try to keep those forces together. Brigades in the same hex, each unit above in an ever widening general area.

HQ units are probably unneeded complication, but if they are used fleets need the ability to assign a flagship since their HQ would be at ports and that isn't useful in the field. FW Air units are easy since they have to be based at an airfield, carriers just need to be defined as airfields as well so you could assign a CAG to a carrier. Helicopters should be able to be assigned to land unit formations as well as CAGs.

There should also be some ability to mix and match, for example for SOCOM, Marine Corps and airborne forces when one wants to keep their airlift capability organic or keep the units that make up a MEF together.

Some of this is irrelevant for strictly WWII, but I hope that the engine is kept flexible enough to cover CW & 2020 scenarios since it's likely the usual suspects will mod them. The open-ended sandbox play is one of the big things that sets SR apart from HOI and is something you need to keep at all costs.

Had a thought occur on another post. At a minimum the theatres and battlezones added in CW are a start, if units could be assigned directly to them that would give us some level of organization to complement battlegroups. While it's far from ideal it's better than what we have now.
Vonthoma
Warrant Officer

Post by Vonthoma »

,,, no Need of that HOI System it is pure micromanagment ...
so what I need is "restrictive" HEXMANAGMENT ... here it is called BETTER BATTLEGROUPS.

- A battlegroup NEVER should part itself ... and when I say never I mean it.
No need of any UNIT orders, apart from Change to battlegroup and delete, as even a single unit is a battlegroup, if it is alone on a hex !
So the AI could somehow handle 7 times of Units, at the same calculating Speed.
- A battlegroup should have a modifier, which depends of the Units it consist.
- So a battlegroup consits of up to 7 individual Units
- there should be Generals, who could be assigned to Battlegroups

that's it.

So the AI could built different Batllegroups which have Tasks ...
defend, attack, Long range, short range, Support, Antiair and so on !
Maybe with that System the AI could handle the mess and will play better and humanplayers don't have to spend 80% of their time, to try that their "ideo t ic" units stay together.
mattpilot
Lt. Colonel

Post by mattpilot »

srsly? HOI system is micromanagement but battlegroups isn't? i need to find better drugs. :-)

Here's what i'm thinking:

- Individual units get grouped into "battlegroups" or "DIVISIONS" .. max 7 per division, max 1 Division per HEX. (to avoid roadblocks, HEX's can hold more than 1 division if its in transit)

- Divisions can be assigned to "task forces" or HQ unit, or whatever you wanna call em. These HQ units can then be assigned Tasks - like guard this area, or attack that.. etc... And it hten uses all DIVISIONS that are assigned to it.

- Additionally i'd be for having a few more organizational layers above the basic HQ unit, but whatever

Also... i'd like fancy lines that show divisions are connected to a specific HQ unit

thanks ;-)

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”