Democracy as it should be

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

suaske666
Major
Human: Yes

Democracy as it should be

Post by suaske666 »

Well in SRCW the election system was pretty much broken. I had in many cases used my spy network to lower the electorate in portugal, greece or israel to less than 5% in some cases to literaly 0% and yet the elections would re elect the same president and party and the approval ratings would stay un changed.

Here is what I would propose:

Have at least three to five parties per country. If it's too much work have the leaders be random and party names generic like "Center Left Party of Croatia". Then have the options in the spy network to lower/increase approval for current party and increase approval for our party (that is to say if i'm playing as a communist USSR this would give power to the communist party in the selected country).
Why is all this important? well aside from the obvious importance there is also the circumstantial importance. You have to be aware that certain leaders (obviously) acted in specific ways, or at least had specific relations to other countries.
So for instance Chamberlain was not anti german, he was willing to negotiate with germany and was even trying to renounce the polish guarantee but wasn't able to do so in the given ammount of time. On the other hand Churchill was completely anti German and long before any word of the holocaust had spread, in 1940 when france had fallen he was unwilling to accept a white peace with Germany and had thus brought the British Empire to it's financial end by 1945. (without gaining anything for the empire of note. I guess Lybia but it's meant nothing). WHat I am saying is that not ony should different parties have ACTUAL popularity within the country and be able to get voted in ahistorically but this shoul have immediate effects for the country:

1) it should directly change the approval ratings of the new government

2) it should affect relations with other countries. For instance: Turkey was historically a Democray (by modern standards anyway), it had neutral relations with Germany and russia. Had either a Fascist party or a Communist party gotten hold of the power structure it's would have adversly changed relations with all the world.

3) If a Fascist or Communist party wins the "Stability of Democracy" should start to fade. this should also be effected by things such as the economic situation (unemployment and inflation) and military organization. If the party had won with a large majority it should punch a heavier blow to the SoD and if the SoD reaches zero before the next elections the country changes to a dictatorship or monarchy.

on the other hand if the country is already a dictatorship or monarchy and the ruling party aproval fades too low a revolution will start to organize fueled by the same effects which cause SoD to fade. and when this value exceeds the military organisation the ruling party and government type changes to that of the most popular party.

Now I realize this might be adding too many features, but I think it's about time you expand the diplomatic/political side of Supreme Ruler. You should have a separate tab for all of this shouwing pie charts and the values I mentioned above. And you would finally have a good use for inflation and unemployment!
Even if you don't think you will be able to reach thes goals by launch date, I urge you to work on them and then along other things release them as a DLC. This would revolutionise your game for the better, and it shouldn't be to hard to implement. Once you get the exact increases in relationships in order even without immediately having historicly accurate leaders and parties it would work just fine. And I believe you already have certain mechanics in the game for approval ratings so using this for multiple parties shouldn't be too hard.
As for the Military Organisation value this could simply be a measure of (number of units + unit strength) / 2 x (total population) or something like that, it really is up to you.

I've seen you ignore even less ambitious ideas than this one so I'm not too optimistic, but at least give me your thoughts?
Zuikaku
General

Re: Democracy as it should be

Post by Zuikaku »

Maybe political system shoul'd be like in Superpower2...
Please teach AI everything!
suaske666
Major

Post by suaske666 »

Zuikaku wrote:Maybe political system shoul'd be like in Superpower2...
I haven't played that game, and from previous experience the devs don't like it when you mention other games as inspiration for ideas. in fact the ideas i mentioned above aren't really based on any other game that I know of. and even if they were I most certainly wouldn't mention it.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

suaske666 wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:Maybe political system shoul'd be like in Superpower2...
I haven't played that game, and from previous experience the devs don't like it when you mention other games as inspiration for ideas. in fact the ideas i mentioned above aren't really based on any other game that I know of. and even if they were I most certainly wouldn't mention it.
Well, Superpower2 had relatively accurate simulated political parties in every country of the world. Something like in HOI3, but with more options. So, there we could watch which party gains more popularity and then react. We coul'd start campaign against them, discredit or assasinate their leaders and so on.

Yes, I know BGs do not like being pointed out to features in other games, but I personally think that it is a good thing to take good ideas from other games...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Zuikaku wrote:...Yes, I know BGs do not like being pointed out to features in other games...
That's not true, we just at times disagree about whether the feature is good or not (well implemented, adds to gameplay experience).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:
Zuikaku wrote:...Yes, I know BGs do not like being pointed out to features in other games...
That's not true, we just at times disagree about whether the feature is good or not (well implemented, adds to gameplay experience).
I think that suppressing rival parties is a fun and realistic thing to do...

Any chance of some details of the game soon?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The decision on what to make public is not mine to make.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:The decision on what to make public is not mine to make.
Hence why I said you need to be more assertive.. quit being the whipping boy. :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:The decision on what to make public is not mine to make.
But you are not making top secret Vril drive or Lipisch fighter :o
burock82
Lt. Colonel

Post by burock82 »

Hello guys!

I am totally agree with election system! It needs to be renewed ! On the otherhand, always saying this :), more active diplomatic systems should have in the game! Because probably it will continue through cold war era and modern era ! therefore there should be more diplomatic options and alternatives in the later era of the game.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”