Please Add Unit Organizations

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

davidclaywood
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Please Add Unit Organizations

Post by davidclaywood »

Currently Supreme Ruler uses 'battle groups' to simulate organizational structure in the game. This is a very simple method even though it has its foibles it is not adequate for my gaming style.

I think the community might like to see a more realistic 'Hieratical Unit Organizations'. Starting of course every nation has a Political Leader who is making all of the big Strategic Decisions. Under the PC )male or female) is the Cabinet and including the Joint Chief's of Staff for each branch of the service.
Under each Chief of Staff are the units that compose the branch, be they Armies, Corps, Brigades, Divisions, Air Forces, Air Groups, Air Wings, Fleets, Task Forces, Battle Groups and Flotilla's. Generally each one has a Command Unit, many of these organizations have one or more subordinate organizations all of which make up a "Chain of Command"

To simulate this I propose the following.
When the user wants to create an organization they would select 'New Organization' which would pop up Command Unit Configuration Form. This form would include a number of fields reflection a persistent Command Unit such as Name, Branch, Proposed HQ Location, Size(regiment, Air Group. Task Force and a scrolling list of individual units belonging to the particular 'CU'. The user should be able to add units to the organization in two ways. 1. Select Units or CU's from a list of Reserves or Active Units in the Organization Creation Form or 2. Selected Units from the map.

This feature would make it much easier to organize military organization and establish a 'Line of Communications from the individual unit ll the way to the Political Command Unit. Of course this LOC would need to be protected from interdiction to maintain a smooth running Organization. If one was to lose the HQ Unit from the chain of command it would not be possible for the Command to communicate with its attached units where the individual units would lose a great deal of effectiveness. These units would need to establish a new HQ Unit that can reestablish a line of communications. Otherwise they would need to hold position or retreat back to the last know superior command unit. Of course there could be a number of ways these units would react and ways to create a new command.

Personal Cost/Benefit Analysis.
This is difficult because I only know how others play unless they are playing multiplayer. Personally, I play the game all out in single player mode. I have developed a number of single player mods I use. I play a single scenario/campaign game over the course of weeks. I take breaks for days at a time and I save plenty of times so I can go back and replay certain poor decisions made. I might sit down and do an 8 hour session.
Any improvements that would simplify the game for me is appreciated. This improvement would enable me to create named Organizations that control other organizations and individual units as well. Central Pacific Command controls several fleets in the Pacific and in Hawaii itself. It gets its orders via Secure Satellite communications and the Commander has certain discretionary functions. He is also the Local authority for a sizable Marine Base, Expeditionary Force and at least 2 Air Groups that I know of. If Hawaii were Nuked CinPac would disappear in the chain of command and it would take some time for the subordinate organizations to reestablish Command by reorganization. If the satellite system too was compromised it may take days for messages to be distrusted down to the lower echelons. In the meantime chaos would rein supreme, supplies and reinforcements would dry up until a command is created and a station is established to stage the resupply ships when they do start coming in again. To many folks this will be too complex yet for others like myself realist unit organizations could be created, supplied and manned. An Air Group Command could be created in some foreign place, like Diego Garcia, and then assets could be transferred directly from reserves or from other Organizations.
Each unit in the game only need know its Command Unit, If that Command Unit is moved then all of the subordinate units would be moved automatically.
During a slow advance across Europe the afield command would be close to the combat units but the Army Command could be hundreds of miles away without affecting Unit efficiency and strength.

One could select all Air Force Units in a particular Command Units Communications Range.

Just thought this might be a cool addition to the game.
Thank You for your continued support of the game.

PS.
At the very least let us Create and Name an infinite number of Battle Groups.
Last edited by davidclaywood on Aug 26 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Please Add Unit Organizations

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

My personal style is more to get fast access to your units, I would like to have a hotkey system, also a hierarical system, battalions, brigades, divisions etc. Since WWII would have massive amounts of units this would be key as during combat some units might spreadout and manually regathering/reorganizing so many units would be full blown crazy, so if you for example could access these units with a key command and jointly give them orders. Also if these keycommands would ignore units in the unit that has recieved the 'repair' command this would be already a major improvment.

Discussed something similar here:
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... ttlegroups
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: Another view....Please Add (Expand?) Unit Organizations

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

is the Cabinet and including the Joint Chief's of Staff for each branch of the service.
Under each Chief of Staff are the units that compose the branch, be they Armies, Corps, Brigades, Divisions, Air Forces, Air Groups, Air Wings, Fleets, Task Forces, Battle Groups and Flotilla's. Generally each one has a Command Unit, many of these organizations have one or more subordinate organizations all of which make up a "Chain of Command"
I don't see where this add to the game. Maybe I am missing something in this high-echelon aspect of command-and-control (C3). In addition,
if I am playing the USSR, my command structure is significantly different, both in command names or organizational order.
....create an organization they would select 'New Organization' which would pop up Command Unit Configuration Form. This form would include a number of fields reflection a persistent Command Unit such as Name, Branch, Proposed HQ Location, Size(regiment, Air Group. Task Force and a scrolling list of individual units belonging to the particular 'CU'. The user should be able to add units to the organization in two ways. 1. Select Units or CU's from a list of Reserves or Active Units in the Organization Creation Form or 2. Selected Units from the map.
My guess would be that a variation of this is coming from BG for SR-36, from which new 'vertical' unit stacks would be created, under the existing Battle Group approach. My concern is this is appearing overly complex and wondering what it really adds to the Game.
One must remember this is almost an Operational-level game....in that while its lowest-level unit is a Battalion and individual ship, it is an operational-level game in that Squadrons are 18 or so aircraft and Battle Groups are multi-battalion thru division units.
....create named Organizations that control other organizations and individual units as well. Central Pacific Command controls several fleets in the Pacific and in Hawaii itself. It gets its orders via Secure Satellite communications and the Commander has certain discretionary functions. He is also the Local authority for a sizable Marine Base, Expeditionary Force and at least 2 Air Groups that I know of. If Hawaii were Nuked CinPac would disappear in the chain of command and it would take some time for the subordinate organizations to reestablish Command by reorganization.
While you cannot place under a Battle Group stack the land-based commands you mention above (Marine Base, Pearl Harbor Naval Base, etc. - using your style of naming vice the Canadian's term "Sea Pier", etc. - I don't see the need. As for a land facility being nuked and degraded, that
already happens and I don't see the benefit of of Nuke CinPac
disappearing
. Nuked locations, especially with the aid of Engineer units, slowly rebuild facility capabilities, are already a part of the SR system.

Just too complex, in my view.
burock82
Lt. Colonel

Post by burock82 »

Plus unit naming! They have to improve the game motor, if it forces the game motor, because i do not want to see my cruiser or frigate's name as 22th of ....... frigate/corvette.! I want to give different names on them!
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

burock82 wrote:Plus unit naming! They have to improve the game motor, if it forces the game motor, because i do not want to see my cruiser or frigate's name as 22th of ....... frigate/corvette.! I want to give different names on them!
Maybe they are doing on something like that and maybe some of these requests are already implemented in the game :D
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”