Historical timeline

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Mission Space
Colonel
Human: Yes

Historical timeline

Post by Mission Space »

Im not sure how Supreme ruler 1936 be played historically accurate. If you play on high volatility I can imagine germany declaring war on Poland in 1936. Or France beats germany in 1940..Will there be any option to play a completely historically accurate gamemode?
barkhauer
Colonel

Re: Historical timeline

Post by barkhauer »

Wouldn't you be better off watching a documentary and read a book? Why play if you can't change things?
Prescot
Lieutenant

Post by Prescot »

barkhauer wrote:Wouldn't you be better off watching a documentary and read a book? Why play if you can't change things?
One word - sandbox..
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

One thing that interests me is, how to make Germany's secret rearmament secret in-game? If Hitler where to have been discovered earlier, that could of potentially have prevented the WWII
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:One thing that interests me is, how to make Germany's secret rearmament secret in-game? If Hitler where to have been discovered earlier, that could of potentially have prevented the WWII
One thing about our start date of 1936 is that it pretty much matches the time period when Germany's re-armament became obvious to the world. Germany was testing some of their new weapons and strategies in the Spanish Civil War, and their march back into the Rhineland pretty much waved the rearmament right under everyone's noses.

The bigger question of historical timeline versus traditional Supreme Ruler "free form play" is a very interesting one... Even "SR Cold War" was a bit more of an "alternate history" sort of game than a true historical wargame. The expectations of many players that play WWII is different, and in fact you get two conflicting points of view.

With SR1936 we are providing both paths ... there will be the ability to play in more historically-oriented campaigns and scenarios, and also the much-loved SR "Sandbox" modes which will let you play from any region and with less of a historical link. In both cases players will also be able to adjust the volatility, diplomatic difficulty, and other factors to customize the game experience to their preference.
Thumboy
Lieutenant

Post by Thumboy »

I have always liked supreme ruler as a kind 'alternate history' (for 2020 alternate future). I can't wait to play SR1936 and change World War Two!
Mission Space
Colonel

Post by Mission Space »

barkhauer wrote:Wouldn't you be better off watching a documentary and read a book? Why play if you can't change things?
Actually no, lets say i want everything historically accurate up until 1944 and then I decide to change history by repelling the Allies and pushing back the USSR.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Mission Space wrote:
Actually no, lets say i want everything historically accurate up until 1944 and then I decide to change history by repelling the Allies and pushing back the USSR.
That means you're looking for a 1944 Campaign, Sandbox or Scenario. No such map has been announced at this time.

If you play as Germany, you could certainly try and play "historically accurate" up to that point but the other regions may at times choose actions that are not entirely historically accurate. And the chances of you managing to follow 3 years worth of German actions to the letter I qualify as slim to none.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
redindus
Warrant Officer

Post by redindus »

Its possible, but it would have to be done by AIs alone and pretty much you can watch the time go by without playing any nation. So itsnt possible to play as historical timeline, because something has be altered or changed that will change course of actions by AIs. They mention that AIs will not cheat, pretty much by gathering infos and shadowing fleets and Intels to start building up their forces in staging areas.

I was hoping there will be two options, one is for historical settings that user/AIs cannot build ships, only timeline when they were completed. And sandbox historical settings, that you can build whatever you want, as long you got resources pouring in the Industrial Complex.

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”