Enlarged hexspace

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hullu Hevonen
General

Enlarged hexspace

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Think that units per hex should be increased.

-From 7/10-14/20 units per hex. For during the WWII, which had massive amounts of units attacking smaller areas, like the battle of Stalingrad etc. which cramed millions of soliders in a relativaly small area. Also on the Karelian front, Russia deployed an average of 120 artillery pieces for every kilometer and at certain places this number was above 200/km.

-If there is more than 14 units per hex and other units need to pass through or enter battle via the certain hex the units in the hex should get slighly decreased attack values per units due to overcrowdning, in eg. if there where 20 in a hex of 14.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Enlarged hexspace

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks, but no.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Hullu--
I'd be careful quoting the # of guns per km that is often cited in books. As a professional military historian (yeah, it is what I do for a living), I can tell you those numbers don't take into account a couple of things. First, they are just totalled numbers from the # of guns available for the operation. Example would be "to launch the attack, X Corps had 250 guns in support." Historians, to make a cool point, will translate that to "Since a Corps can cover 25km, that means there were 10 guns per km." It doesn't take into account reserve artillery parks ("extra guns" in field depots), guns that are being repaired or otherwise out of action temporarily, etc. It also does not consider that some guns cannot fire (e.g., out of range) but are assigned to the units involved.

The result is a somewhat lower number, upwards of 30%, between total number of guns and guns able to fire at one time.

One of the few times this was 'violated' was the bombardment of Berlin in 1945. For many reasons, the Soviets made sure to have every available gun ready to fire from the start--the morale value alone was important enough to make that happen.

Make sense?
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

yeah, thought enlarging hexes sounded reasonable and be of use when managing units on the map.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Zuikaku
General
Human: Yes

Post by Zuikaku »

I am for enlarging hex capacity...
Please teach AI everything!

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”