Disappointment

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

catatonic
General
Human: Yes

Disappointment

Post by catatonic »

Great - I want Imperial Walkers and Battle Goat gives me horse cavalry.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Disappointment

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

catatonic wrote:Great - I want Imperial Walkers and Battle Goat gives me horse cavalry.
There's always the possibility to mod...
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

You must be fun at parties :)
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

barkhauer wrote:You must be fun at parties :)
Yeah, that's why Mom wouldn't let me attend any.

And then there is that conspicuous lack of smiley faces in my posts...

Catatonic - 2012
Snowpig
Lieutenant

Post by Snowpig »

To put some more substance in this thread:

On the one hand i fully understand the move to an era with a lot of more conflicts than the previous titles, but...

There is an already established title from paradox - Hearts of Iron - which is already in its third iteration and will be the raised bar this title will be compared to. My personal apprehension is, that - compared to HoI - this one will be far inferior unless the developers implement some groundbreaking new stuff (which i personally doubt - based on my observation starting from SR2020).

To illustrate the issue, I took the press release and compared it to HoI3:
  • Play Multiple Campaigns from either Axis or Allied perspective. (check)
  • Take Control of any Nation in the World in Sandbox Mode and see how you can impact the outcome of the era. (check)
  • Challenge yourself with many Historical Scenarios for a quicker and fast-paced gameplay experience. (check)
  • The butterfly effect... Influence the timeline and outcome of thousands of historical events. (HoI already left the event-system (HoI2) because events are inflexible)
  • Use Diplomacy, Trade, Espionage, and Intimidation to influence the policies of other nations. (check)
  • Research new Technologies to give your nation a significant military advantage including the Race for the Atomic Bomb! (check)
  • Modernize your economy to become a world leader and support whatever social and military policies you choose. (check)
  • Manage as much or as little of your military forces and production as you like by setting your Defense Minister's level of control. (checkycheck)
  • When diplomacy fails... Sophisticated Real-Time Strategic and Tactical Control of your Military Forces. (check!)
  • Battle your enemy and Mother Nature, as a fully integrated weather model influences the outcomes of the battlefield. (check)
  • Significant graphic improvements to 3D terrain and Graphic User Interface
    Up to 16 players in Multiplayer over local network or Internet (check)

So my first question here is: what will this title have, which will it make to outstand compared to other titles, which have 1936ff. (WWII++) as main theme - especially HoI?
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

catatonic wrote:Great - I want Imperial Walkers and Battle Goat gives me horse cavalry.
Sorry... we could never afford paying a licensing fee to Disney!
- David
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

Snowpig wrote:To put some more substance in this thread:

On the one hand i fully understand the move to an era with a lot of more conflicts than the previous titles, but...

There is an already established title from paradox - Hearts of Iron - which is already in its third iteration and will be the raised bar this title will be compared to. My personal apprehension is, that - compared to HoI - this one will be far inferior unless the developers implement some groundbreaking new stuff (which i personally doubt - based on my observation starting from SR2020).

To illustrate the issue, I took the press release and compared it to HoI3:
  • Play Multiple Campaigns from either Axis or Allied perspective. (check)
  • Take Control of any Nation in the World in Sandbox Mode and see how you can impact the outcome of the era. (check)
  • Challenge yourself with many Historical Scenarios for a quicker and fast-paced gameplay experience. (check)
  • The butterfly effect... Influence the timeline and outcome of thousands of historical events. (HoI already left the event-system (HoI2) because events are inflexible)
  • Use Diplomacy, Trade, Espionage, and Intimidation to influence the policies of other nations. (check)
  • Research new Technologies to give your nation a significant military advantage including the Race for the Atomic Bomb! (check)
  • Modernize your economy to become a world leader and support whatever social and military policies you choose. (check)
  • Manage as much or as little of your military forces and production as you like by setting your Defense Minister's level of control. (checkycheck)
  • When diplomacy fails... Sophisticated Real-Time Strategic and Tactical Control of your Military Forces. (check!)
  • Battle your enemy and Mother Nature, as a fully integrated weather model influences the outcomes of the battlefield. (check)
  • Significant graphic improvements to 3D terrain and Graphic User Interface
    Up to 16 players in Multiplayer over local network or Internet (check)

So my first question here is: what will this title have, which will it make to outstand compared to other titles, which have 1936ff. (WWII++) as main theme - especially HoI?

Well that's what Demos are for. The obvious difference is that HOI is really not a tactical a game, but strictly a grand strategy game. So although they involve many similar concepts, the implementation is drastically different, giving quite a different feel.
- David
goulash
Lieutenant

Post by goulash »

I would not really say HOI3 is totally grand strategy albeit named as a Grand Strategy) as the new expansions have led to things that make it at least feel as though you can also influence the tactical aspects of the war / battles. I admit there is no micro management per say and its mainly based on macro thinking but it does feel semi tactical in parts.

Snowpig does have a point regarding what would appear to be competing with an already established branded game.

I suppose you could overkill the fact that your title would be tactical and not strategic but would that really pull in as many buyers as you would like. I am sure you guys have already thought this through though so will not ponder on the point.

What I am concerned about to be honest and would love to hear more about, is how this game engine can simulate WW2 without going too far off course. Is it going to be scripted to death for the realism crowd or open to a sandbox style.

Whichever direction you take, your gonna get your lovers and haters.

And finally are we getting game counters option which could drastically pull some serious wargamers in.

Are you guys really that confident that you can model into the existing game engine the smaller battle scales considering the much shorter ranges of weapons in those times etc? Wont it all just look like blobs scapping all over the place?
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

Disappointed that you:

1) Did not finish SR2020.

2) Devote all of your time and effort into this boring retro stuff.

3) Do not demonstrate the imagination required to model an entertaining futuristic game and futuristic weapons.

Catatonic - 2012
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Alright, I'll bite on this.

1) Yes we did. We started a project, we set a timeline, we got the end of the timeline. It's finished. I'm proud of what we accomplished with SR2020 and have on regrets with it.

exactly how many modern to future games were you expecting we'd make back to back?

You're on the fine line of being insulting and I have no patience for this. Conversation closed.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”