Awesome!

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

geminif4ucorsair
General

Re: thanks for moving forward.....or is it "backward"

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Thanks for moving forward.....or is it "backward"? Time wise, of course.

Am I to understand BG will market this on their own....? Or, another Paradox-type download only?

Best wishes for its success.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Awesome!

Post by Col_Travis »

number47 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:3. you didnt have a 3 but I still gotta say it.. WWII bleh, do we need to have a major war so the video game industry has new source material?
Rule #1, No Evil Kitty's!!!
number47
General
Human: Yes

Post by number47 »

Col_Travis wrote:Rule #1, No Evil Kitty's!!!

Better? :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
darkshadow120
Lieutenant

Post by darkshadow120 »

PyongYang wrote:I am MOIST.
You aren't the only one buddy.
Uriens
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Uriens »

What about freaked out ones. :lol:

<--------
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Snowpig wrote:To put some more substance in this thread:

On the one hand i fully understand the move to an era with a lot of more conflicts than the previous titles, but...

There is an already established title from paradox - Hearts of Iron - which is already in its third iteration and will be the raised bar this title will be compared to. My personal apprehension is, that - compared to HoI - this one will be far inferior unless the developers implement some groundbreaking new stuff (which i personally doubt - based on my observation starting from SR2020).

To illustrate the issue, I took the press release and compared it to HoI3:
  • Play Multiple Campaigns from either Axis or Allied perspective. (check)
  • Take Control of any Nation in the World in Sandbox Mode and see how you can impact the outcome of the era. (check)
  • Challenge yourself with many Historical Scenarios for a quicker and fast-paced gameplay experience. (check)
  • The butterfly effect... Influence the timeline and outcome of thousands of historical events. (HoI already left the event-system (HoI2) because events are inflexible)
  • Use Diplomacy, Trade, Espionage, and Intimidation to influence the policies of other nations. (check)
  • Research new Technologies to give your nation a significant military advantage including the Race for the Atomic Bomb! (check)
  • Modernize your economy to become a world leader and support whatever social and military policies you choose. (check)
  • Manage as much or as little of your military forces and production as you like by setting your Defense Minister's level of control. (checkycheck)
  • When diplomacy fails... Sophisticated Real-Time Strategic and Tactical Control of your Military Forces. (check!)
  • Battle your enemy and Mother Nature, as a fully integrated weather model influences the outcomes of the battlefield. (check)
  • Significant graphic improvements to 3D terrain and Graphic User Interface
    Up to 16 players in Multiplayer over local network or Internet (check)

So my first question here is: what will this title have, which will it make to outstand compared to other titles, which have 1936ff. (WWII++) as main theme - especially HoI?
I'm replying here because you're not going to see me posting in a thread as negative as the one it comes from.

Looking at your list, the big thing we need to achieve is a better scripted events system and we'll have created a game lots of people will enjoy. I've got nothing against Pradaox, the Hearts of Iron games or those who like them but I've never been able to get much into any of them (VicII was the closest I got to finding one I actually enjoyed - the first time I tried EU2, I played 2 tutorials then went and fell asleep for an hour. No, really).

As we looked back on SRCW development, the events system was the first thing we identified as being insufficient and work on implementation was started a few months ago. I strongly believe we've got a system that not only will achieve what we need but make the modders VERY happy. I just can't give the details yet.

And just because someone has made a quality game, why should we not try and make one also, even if it is in a similar theme? There have always been difference enough between our system and the Paradox system to have market for both. I don't see how that's changed.

I know I haven't actually answered the question you asked, but some of the things I'd promote as being key differences aren't public yet. And you know me, I don't say anything till the feature is done and tested... twice.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:And you know me, I don't say anything till the feature is done and tested... twice.
Yup, that's the Balth we know...and grew to appreciate :D
number47
General

Post by number47 »

@ Legend

Could it be possible to expand the max number of region codes in new SR1936? Maybe to include numbers too beside the letters...(it would give us 10 new slots to use for regions codes)
Snowpig
Lieutenant

Post by Snowpig »

Balthagor wrote: I'm replying here because you're not going to see me posting in a thread as negative as the one it comes from.

Looking at your list, the big thing we need to achieve is a better scripted events system and we'll have created a game lots of people will enjoy. I've got nothing against Pradaox, the Hearts of Iron games or those who like them but I've never been able to get much into any of them (VicII was the closest I got to finding one I actually enjoyed - the first time I tried EU2, I played 2 tutorials then went and fell asleep for an hour. No, really).

As we looked back on SRCW development, the events system was the first thing we identified as being insufficient and work on implementation was started a few months ago. I strongly believe we've got a system that not only will achieve what we need but make the modders VERY happy. I just can't give the details yet.

And just because someone has made a quality game, why should we not try and make one also, even if it is in a similar theme? There have always been difference enough between our system and the Paradox system to have market for both. I don't see how that's changed.

I know I haven't actually answered the question you asked, but some of the things I'd promote as being key differences aren't public yet. And you know me, I don't say anything till the feature is done and tested... twice.
Sure. I did not really expect a complete answer to my question. It is more of a point I would like to point out:

My biggest concern is, that people/potential buyers (who don't know the supreme ruler/HoI series) get the impression, that - based on the historical setting/theme - HoI and SR1936 are similar and then start making their purchase decision by comparing their features.

Especially game magazines are very keen on comparing a new title with similar titles - based on gameplay, graphics, features etc. Thus being labeled (even if it is unjustified) as "a bad copy of..." is the last thing one game-developer wants to read about his game.

For me it is totally ok, if you make a(nother) WWII-themed game. It is not something I expected (was expecting something more future/space-themed), but I will not reject prematurely something i did not have seen/played. My point is rather: Since there are(!) several WWII-themed grand strategy/tactical games, make sure, that all those nice features (I don't want to know about yet), are good enough and are presented to your potential/future buyers at the right time - together with some cream topping - to make sure, they buy your game and not one of those others.

Speaking of events: There is nothing wrong about looking beyond one's own nose. I remember when I tried to mod HoI2-events I noticed that they were quite inflexible.

Like e.g.: "If H'tler is Leader of Nazi-Germany and Stalin leader of the Soviet-Union, fire up Molotov-Ribbentrop-Pact @1939"

In a "normal" game it would be ok. But I have had a game, where - because of a random event - Stalin was disempowered 1937 and replaced by Molotov. So, no Molotov-Ribbentrop for me. In fact that game went competely in a different direction and there was no WWII, therefore all those 100+ events, which had the prerequisite "War between Nazi-Germany and Soviet Union" did not fire. In fact there were almost no useful events for me (Soviet Union) left around 1939 ...and this was like the first 16% of the total campaign.

My conclusion was/is - either you have completely dynamic events, which fire up under very universal conditions, but have the trade off of being too similar looking - or you don't use events at all (like HoI3 is doing mostly now).
Nic5071
Warrant Officer

Post by Nic5071 »

I don't know about you guys but this sounds really exciting :-)

"you don't have to outfight your enemy you just have to outlast him" -George Washington
burock82
Lt. Colonel

Post by burock82 »

I will realy be glad if devs take into consider below points; :) at leat a little

1-) SR series are really really excelent games ! Idea is excelent! But games needs more flexibility! For example it should go to present time in terms of untis, research etc.
2-) Players should be able to create different alliances which can be alternative to existing known alliances; For example Greece-Turkey creates Agean Pact.... examples can be increased
3-) Players should be able to create ecenomical alliances.
4-)More realistic election systems for the countaries in democracy. Player can choose their party names

These are what i can tell right now. I believe Devs. are already considering most of the requests and i am sure they will create a better game than the old ones.

Have a nice work
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

number47 wrote:

Better? :lol:
You'er trying to cheat, arn't you!!!
vahadar
Colonel

Post by vahadar »

Great news :)
I have always wished BG to work on this era of time :) I hope it will be awsome !
Hakuren
Warrant Officer

Post by Hakuren »

Very nice development. Not visiting (any) forum(s) often.

Nice not awesome. And I want to tell why. I would prefer game running from 1929 period of Great Depression. It would be really interesting to deal with all economic challenges of the time without actually DOW anyone. As for 1936 we will follow the usual mantra of many games: 3 years of peace->Axis rape the world for 2 years->Allies rape Axis-->1945/46 the End. :D

Of course biggest advantage of SR is that it doesn't deal with war as Paradox titles, which are really boring after a while. What I expect from SR36 is strong economic model. Ditch that outdated system used since SR2010. Without potent economic factor (available resources, industry and manpower) SR36 will be just another SR with WW2 units. With current model - real danger is that any major country will achieve self-sufficiency within 2-3 years.

Oh and BTW1: finally implement renaming cities and locations from the start. No ifs, buts and maybes. Just do it and people will love you forever. 8)
BTW2: Holy Moly just figured out that it will be possible to build battleships of the period. That just military pr0n! :D Can we also have K5s of Gustav/Dora siege artillery? Oh please, kindly please.
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

Great move. I all ways liked WW2 ear RTS games and the fact I can play has SA in it is all so great.

Will we still get all the techs from CW. And could we go straight from the WW2 eara in to the CW era.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “General Discussion - SR1936”