Multiplayer

This forum has been archived. Please use the new multiplayer forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: Multiplayer

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:What version of the game are you using(steam,non steam)? You could setup A clean install along side the modded version like i have. (Unless your running steam of course)
If you got some free time we can test real quick with me running vanilla and you Running the mod.
I have SRCW 7.2.2 from Impulse...never thought about having two installs but is that even legal? And how does that even work? (I apologize for my noobness :lol:)

EDIT: I forgot to answer you, yes I have some time so we could try if it will work...
Not sure if it can be done with Impulse since I stopped using it after gamestop. But its as simple as targeting a different place for it to install the second time. As to the legallity.. Good question. But I imagine BG wouldn't have an issue since its 2 versions on the same PC.. not like your installing it on someone elses PC to play at the same time.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
darkshadow120
Lieutenant

Post by darkshadow120 »

I really never considered how long the game would go. I was thinking about an hour or two, until everybody leaves or becomes defeated. The country I am going to be in the United States :)
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Highly doubt everybody could be defeted in two hours...If the session will last no more than 3 hours than I can play (since 3 PM CST is 10 PM at my place so I probably can last for 3h max before passing out at 1 AM :D )
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:As to the legallity.. Good question. But I imagine BG wouldn't have an issue since its 2 versions on the same PC.. not like your installing it on someone elses PC to play at the same time.
Not worried about the underlined as much as with possibility my serial being banned or something since Impulse would be "probably" aware of two installed copies :D

Anyway thanks for the trial, at least we see it works with vanilla 8)
italianguard135
Lieutenant

Post by italianguard135 »

I can't go this week because I have yet to receive my game from Amazon. If it is here by Saturday I will try my best to make it.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

italianguard135 wrote:I can't go this week because I have yet to receive my game from Amazon. If it is here by Saturday I will try my best to make it.
fingers crossed you get it in time :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

number47 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:As to the legallity.. Good question. But I imagine BG wouldn't have an issue since its 2 versions on the same PC.. not like your installing it on someone elses PC to play at the same time.
Not worried about the underlined as much as with possibility my serial being banned or something since Impulse would be "probably" aware of two installed copies :D
Unless you're playing both at the same time, you're still respecting at least the spirit of the copyright. And we've stated before that the purpose of not limiting the key in a MP game is so you can have a friend over who doesn't own the game and LAN play it with them. How else can you convince them to go and buy it ;)

Just don't let them take a copy home :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:
number47 wrote:
Unless you're playing both at the same time, you're still respecting at least the spirit of the copyright. And we've stated before that the purpose of not limiting the key in a MP game is so you can have a friend over who doesn't own the game and LAN play it with them. How else can you convince them to go and buy it ;)

Well technically speaking I have 4 copies installed on this PC. But for good reason I say. 1 Is totally clean vanilla. 1 is fully modded. 1 Is used to test my installs of my mods to make sure I don't forget files and the last one is my frankenstein Copy I use to mod HAPS in without breaking any of the other copies.(that one can get interesting to look at sometimes)

I own 2 copies of the game though.. so its only 2 installs per copy. :lol:

Nice to know some devs still support the classic Idea of LAN play though. :-)
darkshadow120
Lieutenant

Post by darkshadow120 »

Wait, so I cant play with Steam people If I bought it on Impulse?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

darkshadow120 wrote:Wait, so I cant play with Steam people If I bought it on Impulse?
You can.. Prior to the gameranger update Steam copies didn't work with gameranger. After their recent update gameranger works with the steam version. Our discussion was about having multiple copies of the game installed.. something you can't do on steam.

(before the gameranger update you could still play with steam users.. but had to use a different method, such as a VPN like hamachi or direct connect)

or if thats confusing let me put it a different way.
All versions should be compatible with Gameranger now. All versions should be able to play with all other versions via gameranger now. (provided they are both fully patched etc of course)
Last edited by Fistalis on Mar 01 2012, edited 3 times in total.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

darkshadow120 wrote:Wait, so I cant play with Steam people If I bought it on Impulse?
I believe you can, at least on gameranges since they added steam version to the list...or I completly misunderstood the situation (I'm still new to the gameranger)
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:Unless you're playing both at the same time, you're still respecting at least the spirit of the copyright. And we've stated before that the purpose of not limiting the key in a MP game is so you can have a friend over who doesn't own the game and LAN play it with them. How else can you convince them to go and buy it ;)

Thanks a lot for clarifying! :wink:

I swear, from time to time I completely forget Balt is reading all that we post :lol:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

...scanning...scanning...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
italianguard135
Lieutenant

Post by italianguard135 »

How would you play a LAN game with one game. Sorry noob question.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

you can install it on your laptop and your desktop and a friend comes over to play with you.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “SRCW Multiplayer Games”