Computer Shut-Down during game session

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kiril
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Computer Shut-Down during game session

Post by Kiril »

Recently, I've encountered issues while playing SRCW. For some reason, I'll get right to the middle of a game, or when I'm about to actually do something major - computer shuts off.
It also does this with SR2020 on some occasions. Computer runs fine for more memory-stealing games, along with the rest of my game arsenal.

Any clue as to what I can do/why it does this?
forumname
Major

Re: Computer Shut-Down during game session

Post by forumname »

If your computer is shutting off or rebooting, it is because of heat.

Many (especially newer) computers have settings to shut the machine down when the processor reaches a temperature of (xx).

If the ENTIRE machine is shutting off, its from the processor. If just your VIDEO shuts down (ie computer is still running, but monitor goes blank) then your video card is overheating, and probably fried.

Try opening the case, and looking at the processor. If the heat sink is slam full of dust, then the "fins" cannot do their job, and no amount of "fan" will help until the dust is removed.

I highly recommend NOT removing anything unless you absolutely know what you are doing, and have the thermal compound on hand to reapply if the sink should come loose from the processor during cleaning.

Stick with compressed air to remove the dust, again, unless you feel qualified to remove and reassemble everything PROPERLY.
Kiril
Lieutenant

Post by Kiril »

Definitely not the video, it's fine.
Will check processor soon.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

forumname wrote:If your computer is shutting off or rebooting, it is because of heat.

Many (especially newer) computers have settings to shut the machine down when the processor reaches a temperature of (xx).

If the ENTIRE machine is shutting off, its from the processor. If just your VIDEO shuts down (ie computer is still running, but monitor goes blank) then your video card is overheating, and probably fried.

Try opening the case, and looking at the processor. If the heat sink is slam full of dust, then the "fins" cannot do their job, and no amount of "fan" will help until the dust is removed.

I highly recommend NOT removing anything unless you absolutely know what you are doing, and have the thermal compound on hand to reapply if the sink should come loose from the processor during cleaning.

Stick with compressed air to remove the dust, again, unless you feel qualified to remove and reassemble everything PROPERLY.
THIS.

If you have pets and or smokers it can make it need cleaning much more often. I have to do mine once every 3-6 months because i have both. :wink:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Yeah you have to watch your smoking pets. :D
Kiril
Lieutenant

Post by Kiril »

forumname wrote:If your computer is shutting off or rebooting, it is because of heat.

Solved my problem, thanks!
forumname
Major

Post by forumname »

GREAT!

Return to “Issues & Support”