Auto and manual save game crashes

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

sparky282
Colonel
Human: Yes

Auto and manual save game crashes

Post by sparky282 »

As posted else where having big problems with saving the game when ever I do the game crashes to desktop, this happens at least half the time. I also have the issue on auto save on any length this means the game is totally unplayable for me.

This have been covered in another thread but I felt it was time of it's own so we can get some sort of update as to if the problem is being worked on and when we can expect a fix and even if you know what the problem is, I dont mind waiting for bugs to be fixed but this is stopping my playing the game which means I've wasted me money as I'm still playing sr 2020 which annoys me!

Look forward to some info thanks
domcoppinger
Colonel

Re: Auto and manual save game crashes

Post by domcoppinger »

What version of the game are you playing? And how did you acquire the game? Steam? Direct Download? Physical Store?
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

direct download from gamers gate
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

What are you system specs?

What Hardware and OS are you running?
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

Windows 7 Ultimate

I5 2.6GHZ
3GB Ram
Geforce 9800 GTX/GTX+
250Gb HDD
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling (keeping the save game files, so you can see if the save files are corrupted) the program? Tried turning off any anti-virus programs (sometimes they interfere when you are writing to the disk) and other stuff running in the background?

Just going through the steps :)
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

Also might be worth running the game as admin, but I don't think that is necessary because it writes to your documents, rather than to your program files.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

Aragos wrote:Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling (keeping the save game files, so you can see if the save files are corrupted) the program? Tried turning off any anti-virus programs (sometimes they interfere when you are writing to the disk) and other stuff running in the background?

Exactly what I was going to suggest next! :)

Also if that doesn't work try deleting the autosaves and then letting the game create new ones!

I assume you have started a new game as a different nation just to make sure...

Also are you running any modded files?

Ohh and how much free space you got on your HDD?
Much Thanks

Number 46-48
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

SGTscuba wrote:Also might be worth running the game as admin, but I don't think that is necessary because it writes to your documents, rather than to your program files.
yep also tired xp compatibility mode and ran the game windowed
Aragos wrote:Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling (keeping the save game files, so you can see if the save files are corrupted) the program? Tried turning off any anti-virus programs (sometimes they interfere when you are writing to the disk) and other stuff running in the background?

yep even did a new download still the same closed all background programs i could didnt make any difference

domcoppinger wrote:

Exactly what I was going to suggest next! :)

Also if that doesn't work try deleting the autosaves and then letting the game create new ones!

I assume you have started a new game as a different nation just to make sure...

Also are you running any modded files?

Ohh and how much free space you got on your HDD?

yeah done that mate about 7 or 8 diffrent saved games all cause issues

nope no mods running currently

about 40gb free
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Hmm. It sounds like the game is having a problem when it attempts to write to the disk. It hits the glitch and bam, CTD.

Is that sort of what happens? You save, it crashes.

Do you actually have a save game from it (does it write to the hard drive before it CTDs)? If so, can you load it?

I wonder if there is a minimum free space on the HDD requirement for the game (I have a 2 TB drive, so don't worry much about space, but if you have limited space it may be an issue).

Just guessing here. No idea what could be causing it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I've been watching this thread but since everyone else was being so helpful figured I'd let them start things off.

Please try the following and let us know what you get;

- launch the game
- make sure autosaves = 1 day
- run 1 week in game
- pause time
- save the game.
- quit all the way to desktop.

Can you get this far without a crash? Can you launch the game and load the save you made? Can you launch both of the autosaves successfully?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

yes i can do all of the above

how ever if i play the game for a week after that i get a crash and a corrupt auto save

if i load the other auto save i can contine to play for a bit then i get another crash and corrupt auto save

this seems to happen every 5mins if not more
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

sparky282 wrote:yes i can do all of the above

how ever if i play the game for a week after that i get a crash and a corrupt auto save

if i load the other auto save i can contine to play for a bit then i get another crash and corrupt auto save

this seems to happen every 5mins if not more
What your describing is the same topic being discussed in this thread where you have posted before. I'm unclear why you started a new thread. If it's about the same issue, this thread should be closed and we should be discussing this in the existing thread.

If you have a game that "running for 5 mins" will generate a corrupt autosave and crash, please e-mail it to me, reference ticket 16549. Everyone else is reporting the corrupt autosave being entirely unpredictable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sparky282
Colonel

Post by sparky282 »

save has been sent
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Haven't got it yet. Did you zip the file? Might bounce if you don't.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues & Support”