Waiting for a safe path traffic Jams

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Waiting for a safe path traffic Jams

Post by Fistalis »

I've seen this pop up a few times. A large alliance of nations will be at war with a country and it will fall. Then all their troops are stuck there "waiting for a safe Path" for the rest of the game. (Kind of annoying when in the same game you have units dancing around a small island trying to destack then the units over here with plenty of space to destack etc won't move...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
celenbor2
Lieutenant

Re: Waiting for a safe path traffic Jams

Post by celenbor2 »

I never got that "Waiting for a safe path" message?Is it a bug in unit tracking system?
It happens a lot and in my latest game I used the airdrop conquest capital win and with all africa conquered my troops remain stacked due to this message.This happened in the middle of Africa with no units allied or foe 1k km away!!!
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

This has happened to me also, recently. Various allied troops locked up Hai Phong to the extent that I had SHIDLOADS of tanks trapped and couldn't move out across land or by sea. Most annoying, but a good excuse to declare war!
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

PyongYang wrote:This has happened to me also, recently. Various allied troops locked up Hai Phong to the extent that I had SHIDLOADS of tanks trapped and couldn't move out across land or by sea. Most annoying, but a good excuse to declare war!
Ya it might pop up under other circumstances when a huge number of troops are concentrated in a small area. I just noted the time I most frequently have seen it pop up.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

This happens to me (well not me but in my games :wink: ) all the time! :evil: They don't move until another war pops up...
Is this issue with your mod only or does it occur in the vanilla?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

I don't have the mod (yet), so it does occur in the vanilla version....
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:This happens to me (well not me but in my games :wink: ) all the time! :evil: They don't move until another war pops up...
Is this issue with your mod only or does it occur in the vanilla?
I only post Support threads if I see something happen in vanilla. :wink:

Usually If i see something happen in one of my mods the first thing I do is see if i can recreate it in vanilla to determine if its something I did.. or an issue with the hardcoding. (one of the reasons I have a clean unmodified copy installed as well as a copy with all my mods installed on it)

[_]OT
My mods have the effect of amplifying some issues so often I notice issues in my mods that pop up less frequently in the campaign, but are still present. For example the fact that AI nations send units to places they cant reach.. so there is a mass rush of merchant marines going to the suez canal at the beginning of the game and turning around, who are trying to reach afghanistan. This issue is in the campaign but because of the circumstances needed to trigger it, is far less likely to be seen in the campaign, but can be seen at the beginning of every game of the modern world. (for awhile putting nations on no priority for the theatre in which afghanistan is in fixed it, but after update 2 the AI still sends units to that battle zone even if its set at NO priority) :lol:
Last edited by Fistalis on Jan 22 2012, edited 1 time in total.
Ragu
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Ragu »

This pretty much happens at some point in every game for me. It's more than a little annoying, when your 200km away from Athens kicking the russkies out, and no units will move anywhere. You literally have to clear a path so the units will move. Damn annoying to say the least.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Ragu wrote:This pretty much happens at some point in every game for me. It's more than a little annoying, when your 200km away from Athens kicking the russkies out, and no units will move anywhere. You literally have to clear a path so the units will move. Damn annoying to say the least.
Worst part is when it happens to an AI nation when it has mutiple wars going on at the same time. It will never get the units that are "waiting for a safe path" to the other warzone. Removing a large chunk of their potential war efforts and making them a push over on the second front. AI nations unlike the player may never clear it out, I've seen units stuck like this til I drove up and started picking them off one by one.

This goes back to pathfinding/destacking which is arguably one of the hardest things to get working without issue in this type of game. New options in Cold war make it even harder Since you have to worry about not only one nations units.. but how they interact with an unlimited amount of allies units that my be stuck there with them. Destack/pathfinding dealing with 10 or 20 units is hard enough.. but you also have to deal with the instance of hundreds or potentially thousands of units being crammed in as well. Guess what I'm saying is I do not envy whoever has to deal with this part of the game code at BG.(but again the destack/pathfinding issues are #1 in the list of things I think need to be fixed) :lol:
PyongYang
Colonel

Post by PyongYang »

Shirley there's a way to adjust the coding for the AI to look at certain 'over crowded' areas and then NOT send billions more there!!!
Hegario
Corporal

Post by Hegario »

Version 7.2.2 and playing as Finland.

I have a bunch of old ships blocking my path at my 5 factory naval base. I've tried to disband them but all I get is "waiting for safe path" and the units I make at the base can't be deployed and are just sent to reserve right away. I tried declaring war but the blockage wasn't cleared even then. Any suggestions as to what could I do? This is my first Supreme Ruler game so I'm about as much of a noob as can be.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Try moving single ship to the open sea. Don't try to reserve it in port because I've noticed when they are stuck like that, you first have to move them away from port than you can bring tham back to successfully enter the port. |O
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Hegario
Corporal

Post by Hegario »

number47 wrote:Try moving single ship to the open sea. Don't try to reserve it in port because I've noticed when they are stuck like that, you first have to move them away from port than you can bring tham back to successfully enter the port. |O
Didn't work sadly. I tried to individually move every ship in port and canceled movement orders for the rest and they don't move at all. I don't try to reserve in port, the ships I've made at the base are reserved automatically because they can't even go to sea because of the traffic jam. I just looked and it seems I have 35 frigates in reserve that I've made there haha. Might as well just sell them away.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Could you please zip and e-mail me the savegame? Please include Ticket 16671 in the subject line.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hegario
Corporal

Post by Hegario »

Sure thing. I played ahead a couple of months though but the stuck is still there.

Return to “Issues & Support”