I need volunteers for speed testing!

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

number47
General
Human: Yes

I need volunteers for speed testing!

Post by number47 »

I need few people to run my save game and report what speed are they getting. I am getting pretty frustrated as it is 1956 a the game slowed down to 1 minute and 30 seconds per ingame day (on fastest speed!). I've experienced lags (even much worst than this) before but they wouldn't start before mid seventies (when the game would slow down to 2:45 min per day)... :cry: :cry: :cry: I've come to a point of thinking of throwing my pc out of the window :evil: :evil: :evil: so please if you have time and good will to participate in this test, please do. :-( :-( :-(

The purpose of this test is soley to determine is the lag originating from my PC or some in game situation...so I can decide in which direction I'll point my wrath to :evil: :lol:

link:
EDIT: link changed as Fistalis suggested a different host for the file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54294796/speedtest.zip
Last edited by number47 on Dec 22 2011, edited 2 times in total.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
number47
General

Re: I need volunteers for speed testing!

Post by number47 »

I think I'll probably shoot myself in the head...after posting the request for help I went to the game and after loading I'm getting 27sec per day????? Now I'm starting to think there is a gremlin in the PC :roll: But there seems to ba a pattern here, I tried to load the game 4 times, and every second time there was a speed lag?! WTF?
So if you participate in this test and the result is good, please try to restart the game few times to see if you'll experience the same thing :-?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I was gonna test but your host kept telling me I was downloading too many files at once.. cause I guess 0 is too many. So they wouldn't let me download it. :lol:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:I was gonna test but your host kept telling me I was downloading too many files at once.. cause I guess 0 is too many. So they wouldn't let me download it. :lol:
can you suggest a better host? give me some and I'll upload it there...
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I'm partial to dropbox.. :wink:
Simply drop files into your drop box public folder.. right click choose "copy public link" and paste it in the thread. Drop box does the rest.
http://www.dropbox.com/
(half my mods are actually on dropbox but you never notice cause theres no pop ups, advertisements etc lol)
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote: http://www.dropbox.com/
I'll give it a try
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Its slow.. and easy to see why, The destack bug is rampant in your save game. Its not unplayble for me though.. i get about 24 secs a day. Would be much faster without the destack issue.

This is the reason I removed ports from small islands in my modern world mod until they fix the destack code (the amount of units available to nations in the modern world mod makes the slow down caused by it SOOO much worse lol) :wink:
(not pictured- Alaskan islands has the issue.. and probably some others..I spent all of 30 seconds finding those)
As the issue grows the slow down will increase though. :wink:

The slow down was probably much worse during the vietnam and korean conflicts, and is now leveled off since nations are no longer sending units that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Thanks for helping Fistalis. Any comment (if you noticed any) on sudden changes of speed? I experienced changes that variated from 27 sec a day to all the way to 1:30 min a day...is it possible that the destack bug gets solved by it self for a while and then it starts again? This is really BUGging me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is BG aware of this bug? I mean I know Balthagor is probably reading this and I know this is not the first time you brought this bug up, but is this something that would enter their "must repair" list?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:Thanks for helping Fistalis. Any comment (if you noticed any) on sudden changes of speed? I experienced changes that variated from 27 sec a day to all the way to 1:30 min a day...is it possible that the destack bug gets solved by it self for a while and then it starts again? This is really BUGging me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is BG aware of this bug? I mean I know Balthagor is probably reading this and I know this is not the first time you brought this bug up, but is this something that would enter their "must repair" list?
I can assure you they are aware. Whether or not they are looking into it IDK. The variation is probably simply due to more unit action. I've seen the destack bug cause my games to crawl down to 2 min a day. But this particular save game isn't as bad. There's no telling why it sometimes hitches and other times it doesn't. I could guess that it has to do with the number of units trying to destack at any given time.(but really thats just a guess.)
In the really bad slowdown games I've seen it was something like 50ish units per hex in a 2 island nation trying to destack. lol
Garapan in your save game only has a total of about 50 units between the 2 hexes.. and hongkong although packed with troops is a bit larger so they don't shift constantly back and forth stuck in between 2.
(would be nice if they only tried to destack X times before they stop, but i'm sure BG will figure out a way resolve it)
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:...I've seen the destack bug cause my games to crawl down to 2 min a day. But this particular save game isn't as bad...
Yeah, at the moment I too am getting 27 sec a day, so it's not a problem now, but who knows for how long it will last :roll:

It is the lack of wars that is caousing this :evil: .In games that had a lot of wars, the lags didn't appear before mid '70 but this particolare game is weird, China left NV and NK fall without helping them (China never declared war). Those were the only 2 wars apart from ethiopia-eritrea HUH
number47
General

Post by number47 »

damn! Just went to 50 sec a day :-(
This probably helped, no one call them and now they don't want to leave, they just roam in circles...reminds me of my college parties :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Ya if you play with fog of war off for a few games its easy to see when the slowdowns start what the cause is. Usually it starts right after a large group of forces land somewhere they don't quite fit. :lol:
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor, is it possible to improve/restrict AI from doing this clogs? I've seen that allies keep coming to help even when the wars are over HUH and they just keep flooding the area (like the israel pic posted 2 posts up) for no apparent reason :-? . It's like they departed from their countries to help, war ended before they reached their destination but instead of adapting to new situation and return home, they just flood the area as if the battle is still raging on ??? And what is also annoying, they NEVER leave :evil: :evil: (at least not until new war breaks someplace else).

EDIT: I'm not trying to escalate this problem, I'm just curious if this is something that can eventually be fixed. :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

While we are aware of some destack issues and speed issues, there is no quick fix. I've grabbed your savegame and I'll add it to the ones we're using for testing.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues & Support”