Life after 2.2 patch

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Hakuren
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Life after 2.2 patch

Post by Hakuren »

Well to be honest I don't know what to think about 2.2 patch. On one side my old saves got massive boost in speed and AI unit management. On the other every new game brings some problems:

1. Game crashing at random intervals. There is no rule - can be 10 minutes or 2 hours. One thing which I noticed is that I get nonsensical messages. For example: Under Research icon I get Countdown to Election or under Catch All - Research Breakthrough or under State messages related to Atomic Weapons development. When I hover the cursor over such message, screen is instantly white and bye, bye... Whatever message I receive, always before reading, saving game. Never know which one will cause problems.
2. AI is even more stupid than before. In particular USSR/China. They DOW everybody under the Sun (start without units) and are wiped out in less than 15 years.
3. Colonies from fallen Controllers should be liberated. Instead we get totally idiotic things like South Korea controlling every China and USSR colony after fall of both even if South Korean army didn't captured capital (not even close). Right now playing my 3rd game as West Germany (never at war with USSR/China just observing and later conquering East Germany for fun). Every time same outcome. This round - USSR/China conquered in 14 and 8 years respectively. South Korea controlling colonies from Kaliningrad to Tibet and Mongolia... again |O

No mods, no compatibility mode, no changes at all. Just standard 7.2.2
Anyone else noticed something similar?
Fistalis
General

Re: Life after 2.2 patch

Post by Fistalis »

I rarely see China or the USSR declare war.. maybe its your settings. No units is likely to cause issues since military strength is one thing the AI looks at to determine if it declares war.. with no units on alot of nations take years to build up a decent military. Also if your playing on high or very high volatility then ya.. wars are expected.

I'd suggest try playing with different settings.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

1. Game crashing at random intervals. There is no rule - can be 10 minutes or 2 hours. One thing which I noticed is that I get nonsensical messages. For example: Under Research icon I get Countdown to Election or under Catch All - Research Breakthrough or under State messages related to Atomic Weapons development. When I hover the cursor over such message, screen is instantly white and bye, bye... Whatever message I receive, always before reading, saving game. Never know which one will cause problems.
I have not seen this at all.
AI is even more stupid than before. In particular USSR/China. They DOW everybody under the Sun (start without units) and are wiped out in less than 15 years.
Must be the starting w/o units thing, (Playing USA) In my current game China went to war with South Vietnam, Laos and France. They allied with North Vietnam but got units involved in the fighting too late to save North Vietnam. They were losing ground to the French allied forces until they signed a Formal Alliance with Russia then the whole Soviet masses of Soviet forces came by land and Sea to join the fight in China and the old North Vietnam. They pushed all they way down past Da Nang before I had to intervene or risk losing that part of Asia to China. I was lucky enough to able to get a couple of subs in the path of their MM and still within the Rules of Proxy War. I sank over a hundred Soviet MM ships which helped slow them down their offensive. I also made a line of legged infantry and arty from Qui nhon to Plieku and held till more French, Belgium, Brits, and few other regions eventually pushed them back up to Vinh.
openair
Lieutenant

Post by openair »

Hakuren wrote:1. Game crashing at random intervals. There is no rule - can be 10 minutes or 2 hours. One thing which I noticed is that I get nonsensical messages. For example: Under Research icon I get Countdown to Election or under Catch All - Research Breakthrough or under State messages related to Atomic Weapons development. When I hover the cursor over such message, screen is instantly white and bye, bye... Whatever message I receive, always before reading, saving game. Never know which one will cause problems.
Ive seen this crash many many times. Always and only crashes just after i mouse over a new message. Tabbing out to windows for 10+ minutes and then tabbing back in might have something to do with it, but also seen same crash when i mouse over a new message without having tabbed out.

Have never had a problem with loading auto saves since 7.2.2 though. But have had no luck trying to reproduce this on demand. Mousing over what should be the same message, after loading the autosave, behaves normally.
Kaiser
Warrant Officer

Post by Kaiser »

openair wrote: Ive seen this crash many many times. Always and only crashes just after i mouse over a new message. Tabbing out to windows for 10+ minutes and then tabbing back in might have something to do with it, but also seen same crash when i mouse over a new message without having tabbed out.
I am 5 years into a game and have not crashed a single time. I also frequently alt+tab and have never crashed afterwards.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I have had this crashing happen only twice since the patch came out, and both those times I was tabbed out for a lnog period of time. Myabe Isimply ran out of memory to run Sr whilst I was donig stuff on the internet at the same time?
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
openair
Lieutenant

Post by openair »

Kaiser wrote:
openair wrote: Ive seen this crash many many times. Always and only crashes just after i mouse over a new message. Tabbing out to windows for 10+ minutes and then tabbing back in might have something to do with it, but also seen same crash when i mouse over a new message without having tabbed out.
I am 5 years into a game and have not crashed a single time. I also frequently alt+tab and have never crashed afterwards.
Grats... maybe your message threshold is different and/or more message types flagged off. Or maybe its related to having to manually update Steam installations. Maybe its related to playing specific nations like some of the pathing/orders issues. Maybe its not the act of tabbing in/out itself. But the fact that it doesn't crash, until after i tab back in, and hover a message generated while i was tabbed out, suggest it has more to do with the UI/display of the message, and not the generation. Unless the stars repeatedly align and generate these bugged messages, more often, JUST BEFORE/AS/AFTER i tab back in.
I see the same crashes in various games, anywhere from 1 year to 15 years.
SGTscuba wrote:I have had this crashing happen only twice since the patch came out, and both those times I was tabbed out for a lnog period of time. Myabe Isimply ran out of memory to run Sr whilst I was donig stuff on the internet at the same time?
Ive an i7-2600k with 8 gigs of ram. I doubt its an insufficient memory problem.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

don't get why then, since I am running it on a dual core 2.2GHz laptop with 3gb of RAM, strange issue though.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Maybe, not resource related....

I've had just 2 or 3 CTDs since 2.2 ... I can't see a pattern yet
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
openair
Lieutenant

Post by openair »

Or maybe its related to having to manually update Steam installations.
Crashes even more often now that steam has applied 7.2.2 automatically on top of my manual install of 7.2.2. (Although i started a fresh campaign as USSR).

I will try a fresh steam only install, after my monthly DL cap resets later this week.

Return to “Issues & Support”