Game runs very slowly

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

swarfega
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Game runs very slowly

Post by swarfega »

After selecting units I find that the game runs very slowly, is there a fix for this issue?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Game runs very slowly

Post by Balthagor »

To get a sample of the game speed, check one of the video tutorials and watch the clock;

http://www.youtube.com/user/Paradoxplaz ... -siIfLvFFg

That was running at "normal" and I was getting ~ 50secs per day. At top speed I get 4-5 sec/ day in the opening days. My savegame in 1956 is getting ~ 6-7secs/day at top speed.

What sort of timing are you getting?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Sounds like hes one of those mass drag and click type players and gets a hiccup when trying to move mass units. Solution: dont drag and click thousands of units at once. :lol:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

My game runs on 1.5mins per day at full speed, I know its because there are lots of units on map (I have almost 2k) even if I do not move my army (i don't mass drag and move, I pause then move stacks 1 by 1 which doesnt really slow me down). But this is the speed I expect in 1959 with lots of wars (and hence movement) going on. I get about 30secs a day at the beginning of the game. I know its my laptop that is causing it to run slow.

I compared it to how well I can run arma2 and SC, and I have to run both on min graphics to get a decent fps so its definately my laptop being slow (dual core 2.3ghz) so maybe time for an upgrade for this and arma3 when it comes out.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

SGTscuba wrote:My game runs on 1.5mins per day at full speed, I know its because there are lots of units on map (I have almost 2k) even if I do not move my army (i don't mass drag and move, I pause then move stacks 1 by 1 which doesnt really slow me down). But this is the speed I expect in 1959 with lots of wars (and hence movement) going on. I get about 30secs a day at the beginning of the game. I know its my laptop that is causing it to run slow.

I compared it to how well I can run arma2 and SC, and I have to run both on min graphics to get a decent fps so its definately my laptop being slow (dual core 2.3ghz) so maybe time for an upgrade for this and arma3 when it comes out.
Oh ya.. i turned off 2 of my cores one day playing around to see how well it was optimized for multicores. It was horrible.. my suggestion to anyone would be don't run it on a dual core :lol: 4+ or your probably gonna be chugging along after a few years. (it amazes me that there are people who are actually running the game on netbooks)
Tioz
Sergeant

Post by Tioz »

I'm running it on my laptop with a Quad core I7 (8 virtuell CPUs) and 8 GB of DDR3 Memory and a Nvidia Quadro FX 2800 and its only running with 30+s a day on full speed. I know Laptops are not that fast but what the hell of a machine you need to have 7s in 1956 ?

/edit
with disabled fog of war, with fog of war on its near even worser
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I'm running an I7 (not the latest version) with 4GB and a GT 320 Nvidia on Win7. Powerful but not top of the line. My home system is an i5-2500/8BG/Radeon 5770 and I get about the same.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Tioz wrote:I'm running it on my laptop with a Quad core I7 (8 virtuell CPUs) and 8 GB of DDR3 Memory and a Nvidia Quadro FX 2800 and its only running with 30+s a day on full speed. I know Laptops are not that fast but what the hell of a machine you need to have 7s in 1956 ?

/edit
with disabled fog of war, with fog of war on its near even worser
my starting speed is about 10 seconds a day on full. phenom II 945 x4 @3ghz 4gb of DDR2 on XP. Me thinks alot of the speed complains come from people running laptops and netbooks or dual cores rather than quads etc. Its not the most graphically intense game so people assume mediocre systems can run it fine... They can run it.. just slowly. Laptops and netbooks etc are optimized for low power usage and even when they have the hardware they usually won't use it to capacity in order to avoid overheating. the SR series has always been about raw processing power for speed. But again.. personally I don't like full speed other than the initial build up.. I like actually managing my troops rather than watching them zoom across the screen.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Me thinks alot of the speed complains come from people running laptops and netbooks or dual cores rather than quads etc.
Well I not one of those that complains about the speed of the game but I do use a dual core processor (3gb). My days are less than 60 seconds on Normal in the late 60's which is too fast for me to notice all the informations that I want to moniter. When conducting trades, I pause or I miss a few days.
warhead
Captain

Post by warhead »

Balthagor wrote:To get a sample of the game speed, check one of the video tutorials and watch the clock;

That was running at "normal" and I was getting ~ 50secs per day. At top speed I get 4-5 sec/ day in the opening days. My savegame in 1956 is getting ~ 6-7secs/day at top speed.

hey balth i have a quesiton on this subject real quick. do units in reserve effect gamespeed at all? or is it just do the number of units in the game. just curious if im wasting my time when i save swap and scrap a bunch of reserves, can't really tell if that makes a difference. just can tell scrapping the ones out do.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

warhead wrote:
Balthagor wrote:To get a sample of the game speed, check one of the video tutorials and watch the clock;

hey balth i have a quesiton on this subject real quick. do units in reserve effect gamespeed at all? or is it just do the number of units in the game. just curious if im wasting my time when i save swap and scrap a bunch of reserves, can't really tell if that makes a difference. just can tell scrapping the ones out do.
Reserve units would have no effect. Any slow down due to number of units is due to calculations done for each unit, no calculations are done for reserve units.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Actually, that's incorrect. In reserves, the units are not spotting. Spotting code is very CPU intensive. Units with short range spotting have little performance effect deployed vs. reserved.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote: In reserves, the units are not spotting.Spotting code is very CPU intensive
Basically what I said (i didn't specify spotting but I figured thats a given, I guess i should have stated spotting calculations though)
Fistalis wrote: Reserve units would have no effect. Any slow down due to number of units is due to spotting calculations done for each unit, no spotting calculations are done for reserve units.
Balthagor wrote: Units with short range spotting have little performance effect deployed vs. reserved.
That i left out :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

oops, I read your post wrong, thought it said reserving units would have no effect.

Still early over here :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

also I noticed on my laptop that if I run on fastest it runs at the same speed as fast and I get about a minute a day on both. Only difference it makes is it heats up the laptop much quicker and slow down the laptop when running on fastest.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040

Return to “Issues & Support”