Crashed - 1kb Auto save...

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

RhysR
Corporal
Human: Yes

Re: Crashed - 1kb Auto save...

Post by RhysR »

Just wanted to let the devs know that I'm having the same issue!

Originally it was the Campaign crashing due to autosaves. I turned those off and started manually saving, but after getting 3 years into a Brazil game, I went to save (overwriting an old one), and it crashed. Checked the saved folder and it's now 1kb.

I'm running 7.1.1 and didn't have the 'no units' option selected. May try reinstalling 7.1.1 and in the meantime I guess I'll have to just create a new manual save each time and not overwrite anything.

Just for the devs... I've been running games with the following non-default options selected:

econ diff - hard
mil diff - hard
diplom diff - normal
fixed capitals - yes
world volatility - high

Cheers :-)

Edit: just something I thought of... the game crashes as soon as you press the save button, not after the "do you want to overwrite" screen. not sure if that is relevant at all but it just struck me as strange!
ARVN2011
Sergeant

Post by ARVN2011 »

I have the same problem too!!!
Are there the possible ways to fix it?
RhysR
Corporal

Post by RhysR »

ARVN2011 wrote:I have the same problem too!!!
Seeing as there's been no dev response I thought I'd post something.

I ran a few hands off test games, and, for me, 'fixed capitals' seems to be causing the crashes - particularly after North Korea gets steamrolled by the US. Previously I wasnt able to get past 1952 without it crashing... now I'm into late 1944 with autosaves on every 7 days, and manually saving in case of an auto save crash - which has only happened once. Seems to have fixed the problem for me, mostly. Am just about to start up a campaign game and see how it goes!!

Apart from that I can only recommend reinstalling and playing with completely default settings until the next update

Good luck :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for trying to get more details, we'll check for issues related to this setting.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
ARVN2011
Sergeant

Post by ARVN2011 »

RhysR wrote:
ARVN2011 wrote:I have the same problem too!!!
Seeing as there's been no dev response I thought I'd post something.

I ran a few hands off test games, and, for me, 'fixed capitals' seems to be causing the crashes - particularly after North Korea gets steamrolled by the US. Previously I wasnt able to get past 1952 without it crashing... now I'm into late 1944 with autosaves on every 7 days, and manually saving in case of an auto save crash - which has only happened once. Seems to have fixed the problem for me, mostly. Am just about to start up a campaign game and see how it goes!!

Apart from that I can only recommend reinstalling and playing with completely default settings until the next update

Good luck :-)
Thanks for your info - I have restarted my games for 18 times but couldn't get through the years between 1954 - 1957. I also didn't fix any capitals. Anyway just gonna have to wait for the following updates.
ARVN2011
Sergeant

Post by ARVN2011 »

Balthagor wrote:Thanks for trying to get more details, we'll check for issues related to this setting.
Would you also check the colonies' leader name since they were a part of Cold War too?
For example: Lee Kuan Yew (Singapore), Emp. Bao Dai/ PM. Ngo Dinh Diem (South Vietnam), Norodom Sihanouk (Cambodia), etc.

Thank you
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

ARVN2011 wrote:
Balthagor wrote:Thanks for trying to get more details, we'll check for issues related to this setting.
Would you also check the colonies' leader name since they were a part of Cold War too?
For example: Lee Kuan Yew (Singapore), Emp. Bao Dai/ PM. Ngo Dinh Diem (South Vietnam), Norodom Sihanouk (Cambodia), etc.

Thank you
As that has nothing to do with the crash, please start a new thread for this issue as others may have noticed some errors in leader names.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

Fixed capitals is a nope for me as I've not played with that checked. I get crashes no matter what.
ARVN2011
Sergeant

Post by ARVN2011 »

Should I wait for the new updates or keep playing? because I know that it gonna keep crashing =|
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Small update, I've tested the "no capital" setting and have found no issues. If anyone has having crashes be sure have the update and let us know if it still crashes. It seems that we have now found all the reproducible crashes.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

Decided to give it a go tonight. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, updated to 7.1.1, applied both hotfixes and had the same result of a crash with the 1kb save :-?

I really want to play the game too!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Was that an autosave or a manual save? Do you have a save before that? Does the crash happen at the same point?

Right now out of thousands and thousands of users we've got about 3 reports of this with nothing conclusive or reproducible. We can't fit till we can find it, any clues would be appreciated.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

It happened on an auto save AND manual save and doesn't happen at the same time, which I understand is frustrating.

First it crashed on auto save, I restarted it using the manual save I had from just two game days before and let it run. It went past the crash point by a couple of months game time and then crashed when I went to save it manually.

I honestly think the best solution at this point is for you guys to change the way the auto save feature works. Isn't there a quick fix you guys could do that would allow the game to keep the last three auto saves like one for December 1, one for December 7, and one for December 14? Then when the 21st comes around the December 1 save game is dropped and so on? Or even better using the save daily routine. I can live with the crash since it's not a wide spread problem and seems almost impossible to replicate as long as I can pick up the game just a week back or a couple of days depending on what save I use instead of having to think about manually saving the game every few days game time or losing my entire progress because I get involved in the game and forget then it crashes during auto save leaving me where I can lose a couple years of game time. I'd be completely happy if you could release such a hotfix.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You can actually move your savegame over to the multiplayer folder and play it from there as a MP game with only one person. MP autosaves use a unique name everytime. Just watch the amount of hard drive space you start to use, it can get big fast.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

Balthagor wrote:You can actually move your savegame over to the multiplayer folder and play it from there as a MP game with only one person. MP autosaves use a unique name everytime. Just watch the amount of hard drive space you start to use, it can get big fast.
SWEET!!! I was not aware of that.

On a side note, I again uninstalled and reinstalled. This time I installed the game to the default directory. I usually install games to my created C:\games\ directory. For this one, I had installed it to C:\Games\Supreme Ruler Cold War. I let the game run for a couple of hours without a crash at all, but of course that was just a couple of hours so perhaps not enough to count as a real test. Is it possible that using the non-default directory caused the problem? I'll keep testing it over the course of the next few days and see what happens.

Return to “Issues & Support”