Crashed - 1kb Auto save...

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

openair
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Crashed - 1kb Auto save...

Post by openair »

Game crashed last night just before i was about to head to bed. I had auto save enabled, at once per week, so figured i'd just load the auto this morning. Game crashes loading the auto save. Looking in the save game dir with the intent to upload the save here, i noticed the auto save is only 1kb, when compared to ~10mb for most saves. The time stamp on the 1kb auto save is also (i think) when the crash occured. Suggesting it crashed during the autosave? Possible to enable more then one autosave so the previous isn't overwritten during these crashes? I'll upload the 1kb autosave anyway, though at 1kb i doubt it'll be much help.

rar'd as .sav is "not allowed."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gurc
Lieutenant

Re: Crashed - 1kb Auto save...

Post by Gurc »

Yep, I had that crash twice while saving. One was normal save one was autosave. I take saves more often now. This bug does not occur very often.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Do you have version 7.1.1?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

I bought the game today after playing around with a friend's game, and I'm having the same problem. I have it on auto save every 7 days (but have tried others including off). The bad thing is it crashes while making the 1kb save file, and then that save file won't load. That means I lose all the time I invested into the game :-(

Oh yeah. I have version 7.1.1 also
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Okay. Looking to hear from the first two users also. Anyone else encountering this?

Are manual saves working?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
openair
Lieutenant

Post by openair »

Yes. Patch 7.1.1 on steam download. No problem with manual saves. This is the first and only crash ive seen since applying patch 1 in about 20 hours of play.
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

My game last crashed doing a manual save and earlier with an auto save.
otakuasnow
Warrant Officer

Post by otakuasnow »

Yes. I posted about it over a week ago but got nothing back from BG except a sentence saying "we haven't experienced this is testing." lol. Got nothing back after that.
I recently uninstalled and reinstalled and still the game "produces" corrupt saves. I have corrupt (1kb) saves for both manual and auto-save(s).

Here are corrupt files for each manual and auto save:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/2/1848604/China.SAV
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/2/1 ... PLAYER.SAV

Details I provided in the previous thread I created about this issue:
Processor: Intel 2.66Ghz Quad @ 1333 MHz
Ram: 4GB @ 800MHz
GPU: EVGA GTX 460 Super Clocked, 1024 MB Video Memory
Resolution: 1920x1200
*Game saves to its default save folder (found in My Games).
*Patched with update 0 then update 1 ontop of it, as they were released. Reinstalled with update 1 but saves still become corrupt.

-Notable crashes I've found:
*Crashes when taking a capital during times, such as Seoul when as China. Crashed in update one when France took N.Vietnam capital when as China.
*Crashes when units become stacked on a port when current units are trying to depart by ship, additional units that arrive and attempt to sail from port crash if the previous group hasn't fully made it out of the hex. I have to make sure its all done in segments of 6-8 units or so, any more and it crashes with any nation.
*Auto-save crashes and become corrupt usually in 1951-1953, once past this date it usually is fine (autosave wise), game somtimes natually crashes to desktop during this time with or without auto-save.
*Game naturally crashes to desktop around 1957 (furthest I've ever gone until corrupt save ends game) with or without autosave enabled.
otakuasnow
Warrant Officer

Post by otakuasnow »

Another corrupted save file to bump this topic with...
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/2/1 ... ai%202.SAV
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

otakuasnow: some of the crashes you list (stacked units / 1957 date) have all been resolved in the published updates. We have not seen any reproducable cases of these crashes in Update 1. I would suggest you uninstall/reinstall and Update to 7.1.1 (update 1), check your game menu to make sure that is the version you're running.

Regarding the corrupted saves (the 1K files), these are crashes while saving the game - again, reproducable cases of this were fixed in the updates, but we are still getting some reports from a small number of players of this happening. The large majority of people do not see this problem in Update 1, we haven't seen it in the studio testing, and we have one test game running on a desk next to me that's done over 15000 autosaves in its current session.

Not to say there might not be some combination of factors that may trigger this - faster and/or slower computers/video/drives/etc, different OS versions, etc, but we haven't seen any specific causes.

If you are seeing this autosave-corruption crash on a regular basis, make certain you are running version 7.1.1, and send a your activation key (so we know the original image your game is from) and a DXDIAG information dump from your computer to support@battlegoat.com

-- George.
Mac
Sergeant

Post by Mac »

Thanks George. I'll send in a few minutes. Should we put any kind of ticket number with it?

Also, note that it doesn't just happen on auto saves but also manual saves.

And, is it possible in some setting I may have over looked to have it keep the last three or so save game files so I don't have to go back to the start of the game with my save gets buggered?
openair
Lieutenant

Post by openair »

Mac wrote:And, is it possible in some setting I may have over looked to have it keep the last three or so save game files so I don't have to go back to the start of the game with my save gets buggered?
This. Most games i play use anywhere from 2 to 5 auto saves. As these crashes are "hard to reproduce" and "rare" would not allowing the auto save feature use of multiple save slots so it doesn't overwrite the previous save EVERY time be a good work around? An unreliable auto save is functionally useless.
otakuasnow
Warrant Officer

Post by otakuasnow »

Another corrupted save file. This is closing in on almost number 25 for me... This is getting extremely stupid:
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/2/1848604/Egypt.SAV

Crashed during the 56-57 time frame, as I mentioned before that is always does (for me), I have never made it past 1957; it always corrupts during this time.
Yes, I'm updated and everything. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, etc, as mentioned before. (Trying to stay calm with this crap game). Will take a break and maybe after awhile there will be some progress with this and I will be in a better mood about this game.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

otakuasnow wrote:Another corrupted save file. This is closing in on almost number 25 for me... This is getting extremely stupid:

Crashed during the 56-57 time frame, as I mentioned before that is always does (for me), I have never made it past 1957; it always corrupts during this time.
Yes, I'm updated and everything. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, etc, as mentioned before. (Trying to stay calm with this crap game). Will take a break and maybe after awhile there will be some progress with this and I will be in a better mood about this game.
George Geczy wrote:If you are seeing this autosave-corruption crash on a regular basis, make certain you are running version 7.1.1, and send a your activation key (so we know the original image your game is from) and a DXDIAG information dump from your computer to support@battlegoat.com
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
otakuasnow
Warrant Officer

Post by otakuasnow »

Fistalis wrote:
otakuasnow wrote:Another corrupted save file. This is closing in on almost number 25 for me... This is getting extremely stupid:

George Geczy wrote:If you are seeing this autosave-corruption crash on a regular basis, make certain you are running version 7.1.1, and send a your activation key (so we know the original image your game is from) and a DXDIAG information dump from your computer to support@battlegoat.com
Yes, well aware of the comment. Have already followed those steps provided by them, unless there was interference and they didn't get my submittion; in which only they could confirm, and like I said I will wait for some progress to be made in the issue.

Return to “Issues & Support”