Units that do not appear

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

barkhauer
Colonel

Re: Units that do not appear

Post by barkhauer »

One wonders what having 5x as many designs to research would do for tech balance problems reported elsewhere...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

OH! RIGHT!

YES, if a unit is set for "upgrade too", you cannot research the second one until you complete the first. The balance on this appears to be off, I'll add that to my (long) list of things to do...

I've just been going through so many posts I was reading this one to fast to click on what the issue was. The purpose is you can't get the M1A3 without going through the preceding versions.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Balthagor wrote:OH! RIGHT!

YES, if a unit is set for "upgrade too", you cannot research the second one until you complete the first. The balance on this appears to be off, I'll add that to my (long) list of things to do...

I've just been going through so many posts I was reading this one to fast to click on what the issue was. The purpose is you can't get the M1A3 without going through the preceding versions.
Well, it's not that the balance off. Researching the first does not appear to properly unlock the second. Thus you can't research it to unlock the third, etc.

It's a bug.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Oh :( I thought ppl simply hadn't completed the first. boo.

Okay, thanks!
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

:D Reward in the end, a "bonus" feature requiring prior models. Glad to know that will be in effect once fixed, didn't seem right only needing a tech and not needing the XXX-a to get the XXX-b.

FWIW, the Mig-17 & 19 should be added to the Mig-15 tree once fixed then, as is the 17 & 19 can all be researched from day one. (As it appears can one or two types of Mig-21s)
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

totally glad that I read this thread! There is definitely a typo in the unit file. I got the missing units to appear in game as well. As mentioned though, the research priorities are all out of whack, but it is good to know that this is on the "to do" list. I look forward to the next patch :D
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Just FYI, the Tu-95 not appearing is not caused by the issue with replacement chains. Using a modified cache with all those entries removed, and the base model Tu-95 is still nowhere to be found, only the later Tu-95km that requires advanced engines appears in the research list. Not sure what the issue with it is.

It is unit # 12217
stuguy909
Colonel

Japan Tanks

Post by stuguy909 »

I am play testing Japan. I noticed that the Type 61 (J-61) was absent, instead, I see the newer Type 74 (J-74) with similar stats in its place. The Type 61 is the Japanese equivalent to the American M47/48 Patton and an answer for the Soviet T-34 that was made to supply the Japanese with an adequite defense force to protect against North Korean advancements in the Korean War (if necessary).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_61

for changes to J-74: http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 74#p126974
Last edited by stuguy909 on Jul 26 2011, edited 3 times in total.
vengen
Warrant Officer

Post by vengen »

OK, so I give on finding and researching the Tu-95 strategic bomber tech and I figure I'll play as the US - at least then I can research a long range nuclear bomber - the B-52. So about a year into my US game I see the new unit researched indicator (the little gray bubble) below Moscow and I figure I'll check out the new unit tech that the USSR just researched. Imagine my shock when I see which tech it is:

So apparently the Tu-95 can be researched by the USSR when played by the AI, but not when played by a human.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Did a more thorough scan and found why the Tu-95 isn't showing up. Column "CZ" when viewed in excel is set to -1. This excludes it from appearing in research lists. There are 66 units with that tag, as well as spy and merchant marine (those two are obvious). Obviously they were deactivated for one reason or another. Perhaps it was meant to have the KM model of the bear that is ingame now be it, requiring advanced engine tech. (Makes sense, there were a lot of problems with the engines in the first couple years of the planes development.)
vengen
Warrant Officer

Post by vengen »

Thanks for checking that out bvb. I learn more about this game every time something like this comes up. It will be interesting to see what they end up doing with the whole issue of missing units/techs.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Post patch, same problem exists with prior design requirements/"Upgrade To" as listed before, Mig-15 -> Mig-15 bis, T-54->T-55 etc, all still do not show up. (Mig-15bis, T-54 1951 etc should be researchable from game start, just as before none show up in the research lists, all pre-requisite techs start researched. Suggests it's still broken, presumably an executable side issue)

~650 unit designs as a result are missing from the game, including pretty much every Soviet tank designs up to the T-72, and some after (Only the first variant in each chain, T-72, T-80)Only the original M1 Abrams is available, follow on models are no shows, Warrior IFVs, Many US carriers, most of their cruiser line (Cali, Virginia, Ticonderogas etc) Both US & USSR attack subs (LA, Virginia, Akula, etc) to name a few of the more "important" ones, all knocked out of the game by this.

By no means a game breaker from a technical standpoint, from a practical standpoint it hurts, a lot. Particularly the USSR.
Blackbird
Corporal

Post by Blackbird »

Why wasn't it fixed with update1? :-( A cold war game without some of the most important unit designs in military history. Please devs fix this soon. Thanks ( I can't play the game without these units 8_ )
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:OH! RIGHT!

It does appear its the first link in the chain thats broken. In my modern world mod you can start as the US and immediately start researching the M1A3. Since you start with the M1A1 and the M1A2. However if you start as russia you have no access to the T-54 variants because I only took the time to start them with the first one. (didn't think anyone would care if they didn't have 10 diff t-54 variants when they have the t-72+ models)
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I did some testing and was able to find a specific set of units to test with, this should help George in troubleshooting the cause.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Issues & Support”