Units that do not appear

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

BlackEagle
Captain
Human: Yes

Units that do not appear

Post by BlackEagle »

I've seen several people in the forum complaining about units that do not appear although they researched all the possible techs. And this happened to me too. Units like the T-55, T-62, T-64, TU-95, ...

I'm in 1960, i don't have acess to research this units, but i can research the T-72 M! How can this be possible?
dbraaker
Lieutenant

Re: Units that do not appear

Post by dbraaker »

Same here. i think the first tank design which i could build as germany was the leopard one after tiger 2 kind of wrong i think. same thing with air units. only f104 and f18 after the ww2 planes for a long time
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Yep i've been playing with USSR and i've come into 1964. I already researched T80U and i can already research modern tanks like T-90 and T-95 (or T-94 i don't quite remember) and T-64 Bulat (original t-64 nope) but not T-55, T-62 or so. Maybe a bug in tech tree or not even in game?
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I think its a bug... Would be stupid for the most produced tank in history not to be in the game lol
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

noted, thought gameplay issues are taking priority over content issues.

Anyone tried loading up the equipment file in the browser? File format hasn't changed so the SR2020 utility should work still...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
vengen
Warrant Officer

Post by vengen »

I couldn't get the browser to work (sorry I'm new around here). So I loaded the Map\Database\default.unit file in a text editor and looked through it. Assuming that this is the right file, I found the following USSR tanks:

T-55, T-62, T-54 Model 1951, T-64A, T-72M, T-72M1, T-80U, T-80UD, T-90S, T-80UM1, T-84-120, T-64B, T-72M3/M4, T-94, T-95, T-84-140, T-95B, T-99, T-54A Model 1953, T-54B. (some of these might be old WW II tanks, some might not even be tanks - I have no idea what the rest of the numbers in the file refer to).

I also found the Tu-95 and the Tu-95KM Bear-C, which I have been looking for.

However, the presence of the unit in this file does not insure that it appears in the game, as I am currently playing a USSR game at 1953 and I have not seen the T-54 Model 1951 technology yet. (Although I'm still researching armor designs level 5).

I also understand that missing units are a low priority right now, which is fine. I just want to make sure that these types of issues are identified and documented so that they can be resolved when there is time to look at content issues.
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Balthagor wrote:noted, thought gameplay issues are taking priority over content issues.

Anyone tried loading up the equipment file in the browser? File format hasn't changed so the SR2020 utility should work still...
The utility viewer (list style) works fine. The browser crashes on some units.

For those unaware, you can also read the file in excel. If you rename to default.csv it works just by opening, if not you'll have to specify to use commas for cell division.

For a few of the units in question: The T-62 & T-64a show as only requiring Tech 1531: Armor Designs Level V (which in turn requires techs 310 & 1225, Gyrostabilized gun mounts and integrated circuits) , and then the T-72, T-80 etc requiring progressively higher levels of the armor designs tech.

Can designs be blocked out as "obsolete" etc in the research panel as they can in production? Maybe your research path led to such a situation?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The game options to "Show Obsolete" and "Show Replaced" should be turned on for players looking to report missing units.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Balthagor wrote:The game options to "Show Obsolete" and "Show Replaced" should be turned on for players looking to report missing units.
I always have that on. And nope they are not showing up even then.
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
BlackEagle
Captain

Post by BlackEagle »

me too.
vengen
Warrant Officer

Post by vengen »

Mine are on also - now. :oops: I assume checking the box turns it on? Either way, checked or unchecked, I can't find the unit techs I'm looking for.
bvb
Colonel

Common link found between them all

Post by bvb »

**was poking through the units file looking if these units had missing/invalid entries, and something just clicked in my head: all the units in this thread that are not appearing are ones that are referenced by a prior design as their replacement. Hopefully this comes through coherently:

Looking at the Default.Unit file, in the 14th column after name, Column P if using Excel to view, units have an entry that looks to be the unit# it is "replaced" by. It seems any unit # that appears in this column is not showing up in game.

Examples:

Unit # 2186 "T-54 Model 1949" works fine, is available from the beginning. In the .unit file, it references as it's replacement model, unit # 2202, T-55 Model 1951, which is apparently missing in the game. That in turn references Unit #2586 "T-54A Model 1953", which references 2589 "T-54B", -> 2210 "T-55 Model 1958", -> 2214 "T-62 " ->2215 "T-64A "

The first unit, T-54 Model 1949 is not tagged as a replacement by any other unit and works fine. Every following unit in that replacement path/tree is MIA.

Likewise with the Mig-15 (Unit # 9815) references unit #9330 "Mig-15bis" as it's replacement. Both have Tech 317 "Analog Fly-by-wire" as their required tech. The Mig-15 starts as a producible design, the Mig-15bis is absent from the game.

Unit# 9151 "Mig-19 Farmer A", an interceptor, references Unit # 10205, "Mig-19S Farmer-C" (A fighter bomber), both require tech 317 just like the Mig-15s, yet only the first one is in the game, researchable from the beginning. Mig-19S doesn't appear in the research list ever.

* Update: Yep, this is exactly the case. I removed all entries from this column, rebuilt the cache, and the units are ingame. FWIW, 739 unit & missiles are affected by this

Here are a few pics. Bah, it mixed up my order.. The bottom is the tank R&D screen with the stock game. The middle is the tank R&D screen with a rebuilt cache, all entries from column P removed. Notice all the missing tanks that should be available to research now are. (Arguably not all should be researchable, but in game terms, IE tech requirements vs techs researched, they should be but were not). Top is also modified cache, Mig-15bis and several other a/c in other classes that were missing are now available to research.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bvb on Jul 24 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

So the "show replaced" option is not working?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Balthagor wrote:So the "show replaced" option is not working?
I read it as a chain being something like A>B>C>D>E>F>G>H, only the pointer from A to B is borked, so B and everything after it are effectively unresearchable. Did I read that right?
bvb
Colonel

Post by bvb »

Balthagor wrote:So the "show replaced" option is not working?
Negative, the "replacement" designs are not available in game for that setting to matter. In the example above, the T-54 M1949 is the first in the series. It can be built from the start. In the .UNIT file, it references the next tank, which references the next, and so on, up to the T-64A. Every tank after the T-54 M1949 in that chain is not present in the game, IE you could research every tech in the game, and those units will never have appeared as available.

I had thought it might be working backwards, but on or off, the units do not appear.

I made a modified cache having deleted all such entries (All entries of column P in Excel deleted) and now all designs appear as they should.

Barkhauer has more or less got it, except it's not the link of A-B is borked, it's any/every link is borked. The first unit works, every subsequent unit does not. Eg using Soviet tanks: A (T55 M1949) is buildable. B, C, D & E should all 4 be researchable from the start of the game, but they never appear. (Nor do F, G, etc when the techs that should unlock them are researched)

Using the cache with said links deleted, B,C,D,& E are now available to research as seen in the screenshot above.

Just for clarity: The unit the entry appears under is not the one that is affected. It is the unit that entry refers to: Eg: T-54 M1949 works, it has the entry referring to the next model tank. The next model tank is the one that is affected, not showing up in game. Whatever the game is doing with the unit # that appears in this column, it is blocking them from ever becoming available.
Last edited by bvb on Jul 24 2011, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Issues & Support”