movement problems

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

barkhauer
Colonel

movement problems

Post by barkhauer »

I have a 1960ish savegame as the US, with a bit over 1,000 deployed land units, 900 or so in the continental USA. I am attempting to build up in West Germany (full alliance) for a land war with the Warsaw Pact, invading via Poland->Belarus->USSR. Despite setting the theater to high priority, no units make the move to go there. When ordering units in the USA to move to West Germany via band-select, they ignore the order to move and simply sit tight. If I play micro-management games with the units (move them to dock in USA. Manually load into transports. Babysit the transports all the way across the Atlantic to North Sea. Move from North Sea to German dock. Press Unload) I can finally get some units to land in Germany.

Am I doing something wrong? If this is bugged, do you need a copy of the save game?
stuguy909
Colonel
Human: Yes

Re: movement problems

Post by stuguy909 »

barkhauer wrote:I have a 1960ish savegame as the US, with a bit over 1,000 deployed land units, 900 or so in the continental USA. I am attempting to build up in West Germany (full alliance) for a land war with the Warsaw Pact, invading via Poland->Belarus->USSR. Despite setting the theater to high priority, no units make the move to go there. When ordering units in the USA to move to West Germany via band-select, they ignore the order to move and simply sit tight. If I play micro-management games with the units (move them to dock in USA. Manually load into transports. Babysit the transports all the way across the Atlantic to North Sea. Move from North Sea to German dock. Press Unload) I can finally get some units to land in Germany.

Am I doing something wrong? If this is bugged, do you need a copy of the save game?

I use the Sea Transport command and "right-click" on a port at my destination. The default movement was switched. If this don't work, then you may have another problem.
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

stuguy909 wrote:
barkhauer wrote:I have a 1960ish savegame as the US, with a bit over 1,000 deployed land units, 900 or so in the continental USA. I am attempting to build up in West Germany (full alliance) for a land war with the Warsaw Pact, invading via Poland->Belarus->USSR. Despite setting the theater to high priority, no units make the move to go there. When ordering units in the USA to move to West Germany via band-select, they ignore the order to move and simply sit tight. If I play micro-management games with the units (move them to dock in USA. Manually load into transports. Babysit the transports all the way across the Atlantic to North Sea. Move from North Sea to German dock. Press Unload) I can finally get some units to land in Germany.

I use the Sea Transport command and "right-click" on a port at my destination. The default movement was switched. If this don't work, then you may have another problem.
Right, it worked back in IE 1951 for the Korean War. It's not working in the 1960s, it's like the helper AIs all died. Units don't respond to theater priorities despite initiative being on full. Units ignore orders to make long-distance moves. Interestingly, if I order small quantities of units to make the move (say, no more than 10 at a time) they do it ok.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

barkhauer wrote:...Am I doing something wrong? If this is bugged, do you need a copy of the save game?
Might as well send it over, that'll probably be the fastest solution.

Please zip and send, include Ticket 15879 in the subject line.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
CCCP232
Sergeant

Post by CCCP232 »

Also noticed that with the war in Vietnam at game start, countries apparently try to send units there to support South Vietnam but large portions wind up in Hong Kong over time and just circle around in there. There must be 50-100+ units from various countries just circling Hong Kong in my current game.
dbraaker
Lieutenant

Post by dbraaker »

I can confirm that. i think you somehow broke the movement ai regarding see transporh yo announced in the update 0 thread. prior to patching ai natikns moved around loads of units. after the patch this rarely happens and at certain spots in the worls like cyprus, southern italy and hongkong huge stacks of units gather up and wait forever.

furthermore this merchant marine thing seems broke to me, it didnt work once for me. neither by hand nor ai triggered.
edit: damn smartphone keyboard :-D
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Merchant marine worked fine for me (I always lock minister out of control) and just grouping units up and clicking them to go to Eritreia worked fine
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Save game sent.

I believe I've found something of a workaround.

If you order the units to entrench on the same hex as a pier or port, you can then give them the sea transport command and have it work. Where things seem to get borked is when ordering movement to more than one stack at a time, or having the stack need to move in order to board transports.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Have you played with the "Embark" order?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Balthagor wrote:Have you played with the "Embark" order?
I have. The units board, then about 5 seconds later they debark back to the land hex that they came from. If you have too large of a group, only 10ish of them will respond to a move order, the others wait around a bit then debark.
LatynoskiRower
Corporal

Post by LatynoskiRower »

barkhauer wrote:
Balthagor wrote:Have you played with the "Embark" order?
I have. The units board, then about 5 seconds later they debark back to the land hex that they came from. If you have too large of a group, only 10ish of them will respond to a move order, the others wait around a bit then debark.
I have the same problem. Even if I select one unit and send it somewhere, it goes on merchant marine and unload after couple of seconds (sometimes even go back to reserve).
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Have you tried locking the unit form the minister AI in the Rules of Engagement screen?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
LatynoskiRower
Corporal

Post by LatynoskiRower »

Balthagor wrote:Have you tried locking the unit form the minister AI in the Rules of Engagement screen?
Yes, I`ve tried it for global (applied for current and future) and for selected unit as well, Minister`s locked too. I have that problem when I`m trying to move my units from Portugal to China, when I move units from Portugal to Marocco everything works fine. I`ve tried "embark" and "sea transport".
movment.JPG

I think I know how to cope with it - problem occurs when you are about to send your units far far away, my example:
-trip Portugal/China - units embark and right after that unload and go to a reserve
-sending unit for repairs from China - same thing
-trip Portugal/Israel (change ports through the land)/Somalia/Goa/Thailand(change ports through the land)/China - works just fine :)
I have no treaties with Egipt so I can`t go through Suez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
domcoppinger
Colonel

Post by domcoppinger »

This may be not be the cause, but I have found that even with the defence minister unit initiative (under the fabrication window) set to anything but "none" units still reserve/deploy and move to engage enemies, even if they are in support of allies or on the other side of the world!
Much Thanks

- [On the topic of timelines] "Time isn't made of lines, it is made of circles, that's why clocks are round!" - Unknown-

Number 46-48

Return to “Issues & Support”