Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

stuguy909
Colonel
Human: Yes

Path Finding bugs

Post by stuguy909 »

Path Finding Bug Thread:

This thread is meant to help the devs find specific instances of path finding issues or AI movement glitches that hinder game play or ruin your experience playing the game. Please limit the post traffic to official path finding bug reports only.

Posting procedure:
  1. If you have a bug to report, please be sure to give the version number prior to giving your report. In fact, place it in the title of your post. Also be sure to make a save file either just prior to, during, or just after the incident. If the incident can be easily replicated, or is a looping error in progress, please, also make a save. You can upload your save file for free on upload services such as mediafire.

Notify the devs about the details of your post. Such as: what difficulty settings you have, the theater priorities, what you were trying to do, what you may have done and you later found, who you are at war with (if relevant), and who you are allied with (if relevant). If you have any other details you feel may be relevant to your case, please add that to the report as well. However, try to limit the amount of information to only what is necessary for the devs to find your bug and isolate it.

It is also helpful to take as many screen shots as possible and place those screens in the post to help the devs find what you are referring to. You can upload photos for free on services like photobucket.

If you have FRAPS and don't mind making videos, this could also be a great tool in reporting a path finding bug. It is also important to have as much detailed information about the bug as possible. Videos can be uploaded to youtube.
Format:
  1. Title:
    Version number
    BODY:
    Describe what is wrong
    Give details about how the incident may have occurred
    LOWER BODY:
    Screen Shots
    Small Description of Screen
    Video (if applicable)
    Save File
Last edited by stuguy909 on Aug 02 2011, edited 3 times in total.
stuguy909
Colonel

Example Bug Report: v7.0.50

Post by stuguy909 »

EXAMPLE POST:
I have version 7.0.50. I noticed a large force of Romanian and Belarussian merchant marines gathering off the coast of Georgia in the Black Sea. They seem to be stuck moving in a circular motion. They have been there ever since I set the theater priority for South East Asia to HIGH to help out the war effort in North Vietnam.

Here is a screen shot of the incident in progress:

Here is my savefile: xxx.hostingservice.xxx/examplefile.sav
Last edited by stuguy909 on Aug 02 2011, edited 2 times in total.
Eldin
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Path Finding bugs

Post by Eldin »

On the list of pathfinding oddities, I'd like to add that in my game East and West Germany are at war and all the other nations of the Warsawapact and Nato are in the war by proxy. Most of the units that the Nato countries send end up in Denmark near their capital and as there is no bridge over to the mainland none of the units make it through to Germany. As it is now, the island(s) around Copenhagen is filled with probably 100s of units that belong on the front with Germany, unless the AI has somehow deemed it necessary to defend Denmark eventhough they are not at war atm.
ollobrains
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ollobrains »

known bugs that are being worked on i think
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There are already pathing improvements in the update, just didn't make it into the initial install. Good to watch for these after the update though.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
stuguy909
Colonel

deleted

Post by stuguy909 »

:edit: removed
Last edited by stuguy909 on Aug 02 2011, edited 2 times in total.
stuguy909
Colonel

deleted

Post by stuguy909 »

Last edited by stuguy909 on Aug 02 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Tenakakhan64
Lieutenant

Post by Tenakakhan64 »

I noticed stacked units in my game outside south korea. the usa canada british and belgium merchant marine ships were stacked in a pile so thick that there was more than could be displayed when i first checked it out and at least another 20 merchant marine piled on top.

I eventually worked out what was the problem . Merchant marine ships cant pass each other when they are at war with other nation and cant shoot each other so they just sit at an impass. I killed the 1 chinese merchant marine ship holding up the combined allies fleet outside south korea and after a few weeks all the ships had moved on and dumped their loads.

The other location this is happening that i can see is suez canal. Spain and Ussr are at war and both nations have piles of merchant marine ships trying to pass through the canal but unable to move. This is tying up alot of units that should be on their way.

Easiest solution for this problem would be to give merchant marine a basic tiny sea attack value so when they run into each other one unit will eventually be destroyed and the rest will move on.
stuguy909
Colonel

v 7.0.50

Post by stuguy909 »

This is version 7.0.50. North Vietnamese units are leaving its war zone and holding up in China. This is quite annoying because they have enough units to beat the south (thanks to me) but the majority of its force is near Beijing and chilling on this stupid island:

save: http://www.mediafire.com/?i0na68qlcp2io3h
stuguy909
Colonel

deleted

Post by stuguy909 »

stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

I came across this strange event playing as China via 7.0.71. After helping North Vietnam defeat the South Vietnamese with theater setting South East Asia priority high, I changed the priority back to low. I then noticed all of my forces in South Vietnam embarking onto merchant marines and heading to Egypt for some reason. I had to stop them manually, and tell them to go back to China. I now find other units trying to go to Egypt, and the AI won't stop!

Side note: I attacked South Korea with North East Asia priority high after they killed North Korea. I then switched my theater to South East Asia to help North Vietnam. Then after that, set everything back to normal.

Here are some units I found heading to Egypt after I told a bunch to stop it:

Here is their destination:

Here are my treaties with Egypt:

Current Save file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xc5fw4ix35dvsd3

:edit: OH! I told all my units to repair after switching the priorities to normal. This may have triggered the AI to do stupid things.
stuguy909
Colonel

Eastern Siberia AI pathing: v 7.0.71

Post by stuguy909 »

This is version 7.0.71:

I am playing as China and built a sizable army. With this army, I have roughly 200 supply trucks and 20 transport planes to assist the Red Army's advances. I am allied with only the USSR and Vietnam. One day, I was wondering why there were so many trucks in the USSR Eastern Siberia. I then noticed I was able to select these hundreds of trucks because they were mine. Apparently, one of my units wandered out in the middle of nowhere and a supply truck and / or air plane responded to the call. That one supply truck then ran out of gas, and called for another truck. When that responder ran out of gas, another truck answered the call. You see the pattern? Eventually, over 100 supply trucks got spread all over Eastern Siberia and are now stuck deep within the wilderness. This is a pain in the ass to bring my trucks home.

I am aware that I can "path around" the USSR, this would avoid any of my units wandering into Russian territory. However, as my trucks are already stuck, the only way out is air transports. This provides me with a huge problem when the "Path Around" option is on, as my planes cannot enter Russian airspace. If I try to rescue the trucks myself, I literally have to disable the AI, because he will send rescued supply trucks to rescue unsupported trucks...

In conclusion, I have noticed on many occasions the AI likes to dispatch units into the wilderness of Eastern Siberia, only for them to get stuck due to lack of supplies. Is this really necessary? The AI should avoid sending units into this region unless it is under attack.
stuguy909
Colonel

Stack Freezing v.7.1.1

Post by stuguy909 »

Current version is 7.1.1, yet this is a bug for all version.

I have witnessed this phenomena for quite some time. It is still a huge issue with me. The "stack freeze". Or, when a unit passes over a hex with other units that number larger than 10, causes that unit to stop. In SR2020, units would stop and stay frozen for a while, and the AI would eventually move them again over time. In SRCW, once they have movement orders, such as a large number of units that are under the "sea transport" command, they will stay stuck if a group of transports enters into the same hex as another number of transports, making the number larger than 10, thus freezing all transports in that hex. Any further transports, or units, that enter that hex, will become frozen, even though they maintain the current movement orders.

It is very common to find frozen transports when moving large amounts of units overseas:

save: http://www.mediafire.com/?caz8snvrbjtcnec
stuguy909
Colonel

Air Transports unload premature

Post by stuguy909 »

This is applicable to any version of supreme ruler:

Manually load a unit into an air transport (preferably fixed wing). Then give the loaded transport an order to unload the cargo at a very distant location (preferably in the USSR, as it is big). When the transport is low on fuel, it will fly to the nearest airfield to refuel, however, it will unload the cargo and cancel the unload order for the target destination.
stuguy909
Colonel

sea transport and air transport

Post by stuguy909 »

:edit: sea transport worked for me as USA in the campaign. But I cannot get it to work as Japan, East Germany, or China in the sandbox.

air transport works somewhat. It is hit and miss. In sandbox mode, some of my units would go to the airport. After some time, airplanes would pick them up and fly them to the destination. Sometimes the infantry wouldn't even go to the nearest airport, they would sit. Lastly, Infantry would wait in the airfield indefinitely, even though transports are available nearby. This was so random, I literally kept giving the orders over and over until it worked properly. Or manually put everything in the right place and tried again. Definitely not 100% effective.
Last edited by stuguy909 on Aug 04 2011, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Issues & Support”