Path Finding bugs

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

trebor
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Path Finding bugs

Post by trebor »

Seems to work ok for me, when I use the sea transport command the land units go to the nearest port/pier and load onto merchant marine, then move to the destination.
stuguy909
Colonel

v7.1.1 You tell me...

Post by stuguy909 »

how did this happen?!

I just finished taking Iceland to prepare for my invasion of Canada when I noticed this off the coast of the UK:

save: http://www.mediafire.com/?y67dhpm9iy6hpoc

:edit: ok, i kept playing and on Feb 4 1955, I looked back and there was one more tank out in the water...

:edit2: more tanks drove out into the water even after that. I never saw them do it, but they just kept going out there and getting stuck.
Gracuul
Captain

Re: Path Finding bugs Version 7.1.1

Post by Gracuul »

No savefile, but my pathing issue is simple, Playing egypt or similar scenario and attacking a county such as libya. Units will move into the desert to attack key cities, ignoring key supply cities and running out of fuel not even halfway there. Units also march headlong in a line formation straight into the desert for land capping, again ignoring fuel and supply. Either have to send in 2 supply trucks manually or slowly build a road/rail through the desert.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war.
-George Santayana
stuguy909
Colonel

7.1.1 Sandbox

Post by stuguy909 »

I am playing the Sandbox as South Africa with a no units start and am at war with Tanzania. I have taken all of the colony except this one last remote island:

As my photo suggests, my multirole fighter bombers will not attack the ground units on that island for some reason, they were doing so about 10 minutes prior to me getting even more fighter bombers built. I also have 4 Des Moines Cruisers that once attacked the island and killed off a bunch of units, but have since then stopped engaging ground units. That was probably 30 minutes ago, as I pulled them back for repairs. I also tried to get my own ARTY to bombard the island, but they just sat there and did nothing. I don't have zero amphibious units, so I must engage indirectly, but the game will not let me.

Save: http://www.mediafire.com/?scrd8e8jpaanoc8
Ninehundred
Corporal

Post by Ninehundred »

Seems bugged.

Also to help you, i think, try to destroy them with a strategic bomber, like the B-52 and the option "bombard hex". When you choose this, the bomber attack all the ground forces on the hex, whatever the units or the buildings are there and even if has nothing on the hex.
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

Ninehundred wrote:Seems bugged.

Also to help you, i think, try to destroy them with a strategic bomber, like the B-52 and the option "bombard hex". When you choose this, the bomber attack all the ground forces on the hex, whatever the units or the buildings are there and even if has nothing on the hex.
If you look again, I wasn't exactly on good terms with Uncle Sam to be able to purchase the B-52. I don't always like buying licenses for crap I am not supposed to have. I solved this riddle by para dropping some mountain infantry in there, it took time, but it got done.

The original problem stands, indirect fire was not working, even tactical bombers.
stuguy909
Colonel

Proxy wars and Air Power v7.1.1

Post by stuguy909 »

USA Campaign V7.1.1

Airplanes function rather particular when it comes to attacking units, facilities, or hexes in a tight space that is near an area where non proxy war entry is possible, such as ocean neutral tiles or neighboring countries. In this photo, you will see some of my tactical bombers in which do not want to take off from this airfield to bomb the nearby target.

If I send the airplanes inland, and then target the facility in question, the bombers will drop one bomb each and immediately return to base. They each have full fuel and supply loads and should in fact, orbit the target and blast it away.

In this photo, I have units taking off from Wonsan and flying to Hungnam to kill the last soldier there, and any targets around that hex. However, the units immediately RTB:

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.mediafire.com/?t402lxfd18hwrbe

:edit:
after much testing, it seems that my planes do not like entering proxy war (north korean) air space.

:edit2:
Russia later declared war on South Korea, and China chimed in as well after South Korea randomly decided to war against Mongolia. I again tried to fly planes into China from South Korea, however, the planes refused to enter Chinese airspace, but did in fact, not RTB. However, my planes had no problem flying into the Russian Air space.
Fistalis
General

Re: Proxy wars and Air Power v7.1.1

Post by Fistalis »

stuguy909 wrote:
:edit:
after much testing, it seems that my planes do not like entering proxy war (north korean) air space.
Which is funny because they(the U.S. and russia) have no issues sending planes to fly through other peoples borders when they aren't in a proxy war situation. Leading to losses in relations and U.N standings due to violating other countries airspace. Shouldn't they path around countries they don't have transit treaties with, and be willing to violate airspace in the instance of a proxy war. Currently it seems this is backward. They refuse to enter airspace if there's a proxy war and do it if there isn't.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
stuguy909
Colonel

Post by stuguy909 »

man I hope BG follows this thread... I have more posts, but am saving for an update.
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Long range pathing issues when using sea transport/embark. Sometimes they don't go at all, other times they go to ports that aren't even near their target destinations. Like egypt (seems to be a favorite of the AI for random places to try to land). I haven't been able to track down the exact circumstances (outside of mods)this happens if/when I do i'll post a screenshot/save.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
mfisher12
Lt. Colonel

Post by mfisher12 »

Fistalis wrote:Long range pathing issues when using sea transport/embark. Sometimes they don't go at all, other times they go to ports that aren't even near their target destinations. Like egypt (seems to be a favorite of the AI for random places to try to land). I haven't been able to track down the exact circumstances (outside of mods)this happens if/when I do i'll post a screenshot/save.
Seconded. As USA (ver. 7.1.1), I am able to send waves of sea transports to places like Northern France, Bremerhaven Germany, even Greece and Turkey without problem.

But since about 1950 in the game, after the end of the Korean War every single merchant ship I send from the US west coast to Korea or Japan will re-path itself directly to Taipei, Taiwan.

I've tried this from Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles and it's the same pathing problem. I thought it might have been the complex path through the Japanese Inland Sea but the Aegean Sea is every bit as complex a path going from New York through Gibraltar to the eastern Med and there's no confusion, there.

I am forced to follow the sea transports from the West Coast and manually redirect them to the appropriate port after they've left the coast. That seems to work.
Probe
Sergeant

Post by Probe »

I was under the impression that despite Merchant Marines being the workhorse of many transport armies, they could not unload at an enemy controlled dock..?
Lucrix
Corporal

Post by Lucrix »

Hello,

I hope that somebody from stuff read our bugs and fix them.
I've discovered a bug on an island between Greece and Turkey.
I have version 7.2.2 STEAM. After I saw the bug I've update my version at 7.3.7 as sruser wrote here. After several weeks the ships aren't find their way to home.
Please view the pictures and read the comments from there.

When I've took the screenshot, the game was saved. You can download the file from http://we.tl/HIdfV6iPuN

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As has been explained, update 3 didn't instantly fix bad paths, it taught the AI not to make bad paths. If you take a save game from 7.2.2 into 7.3.7 you will continue to see some of these issues.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Lucrix
Corporal

Post by Lucrix »

You're right. It seems that ships start finding their way. Sorry for the false report.

Return to “Issues & Support”